AA contractor dies in DTW ramp accident

It will be interesting to see what the causal factors were here. I have my own theories, but will wait for the official verdict.

In the meantime, for all my brothers and sisters out there on the ramp: please be careful. The ramp can be a lethal environment, and there's not a lot of room for error.

You deserve to go home in the same shape you arrived in.

Reactions: 5 people
Sheesh.... prayers for him & his family...

Was he caught in the pinch point or did he take a fall out of the belly?

My guess would either be lanyard with no breakaway caught in a pinch point, or  the employee was standing between the end of the belt & the cargo door when something went horribly wrong. 

Reactions: 1 person
My third guess... riding on the front of the belt loader, someone hit the brakes too hard, the loader stopped and he didn't. Hadn't considered the lanyard.

Bottom line, it's a horribly dangerous place, and I've seen too much complacency over the years.

Sad news.   I gotta think that an airport ramp is one of the most dangerous places to work.   For passengers, commercial aviation is an extremely safe activity and the safest way to travel, but for the people working outside the airplanes on the ground, there are many ways to be injured or killed every day. 

Reactions: 2 people
eolesen said:
My third guess... riding on the front of the belt loader, someone hit the brakes too hard, the loader stopped and he didn't. Hadn't considered the lanyard.

Bottom line, it's a horribly dangerous place, and I've seen too much complacency over the years.
A very dangerous place indeed.  Especially for the poor contract worker who is told to work faster, faster, or you're job will be on the line.

Here in PIT, and JetStream is the company:

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/female-airline-worker-injured-pittsburgh-internati/nhD3T/

Apparently, the worker was next to the plane when another employee pulled up with a belt. That employee got off the belt, but did not chock it or take it out of gear. The belt then continued forward, pinning the worker between it and the A/C.

Sad. Not only has one family dealt with their loss, the guy who didn't chock the wheels has to live with the consequences of his error.

Guess we were both right on the pinch point. That was covered on day one of ramp training.

"The flight was delayed 30 minutes".

Thats the only part the carrier really cares about, "Ok get that body out of the way and lets get this plane out", finding another minimum wage worker won't be a problem in DTW.

There is a concept in investing called "Risk" and generally the higher the risk the higher the reward, these workers are exposed to the ultimate risk day in and day out, yet the people who are exposed to very little risk as they sit in their safe offices have deliberately worked to slash their wages and put the money these workers should earn into their own pockets. Wage is a factor in this, low wages result in high turnover and high turnover means that the experience is low and more than likely the training is superficial at best. There is no way to make the ramp a truly "safe" place when you have very heavy objects moving around people. But lowering the standards by having low wages which in turn leads to high turnover of workers significantly increases the dangers.

To my fellow mechanics (and pilots)who often bash Fleet service clerks, you want a highly paid, well trained, experienced and stable FSC group out there on the Ramp because every time you walk around a plane your life is in their hands.

"Day one of ramp training" was probably the only day of ramp training, if that, at that place.

Reactions: 4 people
These guys are responsible for directing and working around multimillion dollar airplanes. They operate all kinds of equipment in a very tight environment. They de-ice your plane for safe flight. Are the last defence for keeping dangerous goods off your plane. Their eyes are the key to ramp security. They are ask to work every arrival like a NASCAR pit stop. All this for $8-$9 hour for life? Employee turnover is to high? 

Bob Owens said:
"The flight was delayed 30 minutes".

Thats the only part the carrier really cares about, "Ok get that body out of the way and lets get this plane out", finding another minimum wage worker won't be a problem in DTW.
What else did you want, Bob? They took the guy to the hospital, presumably within 10-15 minutes of the injury occurring.

Assuming that's the case, the body was already gone at departure time. Did you expect them to treat it like a crime scene?...

Reactions: 2 people
eolesen said:
What else did you want, Bob? They took the guy to the hospital, presumably within 10-15 minutes of the injury occurring.

Assuming that's the case, the body was already gone at departure time. Did you expect them to treat it like a crime scene?...
Yes.

The Flight should have been cancelled, all the vehicles left in place and the area cordoned off so that every worker there sees and knows that somebody died there and it could have been them. 

Instead it gets brushed aside as if nothing happened, just keep the planes -and profits- for the airline moving. 

Latest posts