AA contractor dies in DTW ramp accident

I will never forget the day we were pushing out a DC10 in Dallas (mid late 80's I think) and the individual on the headset was not paying close enough attention. When the tractor driver started turning, the nose gear of the 10 ran over both feet of the individual on the headset and obviously he fell to the ground in extreme pain. Bob Trumain, the ramp supervisor at the time, pulled up in one of those damn blue station wagons they use to drive and told us to get him out of the way, they had to get the plane out. His number one concern was the plane, not the health of the employee. I'm not saying this is AA's mentality, just stating this one particular incident.

eolesen said:
What else did you want, Bob? They took the guy to the hospital, presumably within 10-15 minutes of the injury occurring.

Assuming that's the case, the body was already gone at departure time. Did you expect them to treat it like a crime scene?...

Bob Owens said:
Yes.

The Flight should have been cancelled, all the vehicles left in place and the area cordoned off so that every worker there sees and knows that somebody died there and it could have been them. 

Instead it gets brushed aside as if nothing happened, just keep the planes -and profits- for the airline moving.
I'm hoping that the flight used a different A/C and that the delay was due to the tail swap. I simply can't see everyone's (Wayne County coroner, OSHA, etc.) all having completed their investigations w/in such a short time frame...

Latest posts