AA extends 737MAX-related cancellations to Sept.3rd

I would not be surprised if cancellations (at least some of them) are extended into next year. There are still too many "Boeing admits to further 737MAX problems not previously announced" type headlines.
This is not going to be a good Summer travel season.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/09/american-airlines-extends-boeing-737-max-to-september.html

Agree. The summer travel season this year is done as far as with the Max's. I too have been saying it will affect thru the end of the year. I thought Aug. was too premature and early myself.
Boeing will have a lot of Butt Kissing going on to keep SWA and AA looking elsewhere for possibly a replacement model or maybe just a different model all together now.

Boeing won't have to do much butt kissing at all. The Big Four know that the grounding was an overreaction by the FAA and other regulatory agencies, and couldn't be walked back.

Frankly, it was an insult to the best trained pilots in the world.

I would not be surprised if cancellations (at least some of them) are extended into next year. There are still too many "Boeing admits to further 737MAX problems not previously announced" type headlines.
This is not going to be a good Summer travel season.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/09/american-airlines-extends-boeing-737-max-to-september.html
Forgot to mention Jim, we should be hearing SWA doing the same pretty soon. So far I believe our latest dates were in Aug. so we too will probably follow suit with AA and go with Sep. as well.

Frankly, it was an insult to the best trained pilots in the world.
Agreed, but when some domestic pilots did in fact voice concerns it was due more to the lack of awareness of the MCAS than the reliability of the aircraft and their skill did indeed prevent loss of control. It seems that defective AOA vanes had more to do with this issue than admitted.

It seems that defective AOA vanes had more to do with this issue than admitted.

And the fact that Boeing withheld that information until they had no other choice doesn't make the traveling public at all comfortable. I've had more than one person who knows I was in the business say something along the lines of "I'm worried about what else Boeing didn't tell us about the airplane." This is just a PR nightmare at this point. It's going to take some real finesse to get people on that airplane regardless of positive test results and successful modifications.

Outtakes from a Seeking Alpha article...

"American Airlines (NASDAQ:AAL) is prepared to further delay returning Boeing's (NYSE:BA) 737 Max to its schedule as regulators review the manufacturer’s safety updates before they allow the planes to fly again.

Doug Parker said at an employee town hall meeting, "I think as much as anything now it may be politics as much as the true certification... safety issue. I don't think the FAA wants to be alone in doing this."
( I'm not psychic or nuthin, but I posted the statement below on June 9th in another thread.)

"My money is on the FAA. Right or wrong I think the public is going to believe that the FAA failed at expected oversight. so, FAA will be cautious about approving return to service. Don't think the FAA will care about the fact that American has sold seats on airplanes that are currently grounded.
http://www.airlineforums.com/thread...etable-for-return-to-service-of-737max.62283/
Just sayin'.

Last edited:
United came out today and also announced they're extending MAX cancellations until after Labor Day.

I think I'm going to agree with Jim for maybe the third time in five years and say it they're not back in the air sometime early in 2020. I can't imagine there won't be some form of schoolhouse differences training required for the pilots, and that won't happen quickly.

I know AA has 3 or 4 Max 8 at MLB n others elsewhere who is responsible for the landing fees n parking fees in situation like this?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/exclusive-faa-says-identifies-potential-195733655.html

And the problems keep piling on.
Maybe 2020 looks best. No pun intended. Well maybe I did. ;)
Some quotes from another article about new flaw discovery...

"While the crashes remain under investigation, preliminary reports showed that a new stabilization system pushed both planes into steep nosedives from which the pilots could not recover. The issue is known in aviation vernacular as runaway stabilizer trim."
AND
"In simulator tests, government pilots discovered that a microprocessor failure could push the nose of the plane toward the ground. It is not known whether the microprocessor played a role in either crash."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/26/politics/boeing-737-max-flaw/index.html

I'm probably wrong, but those 2 quotes I posted above sound more like TWO new problems--1 hardware, 1 software issue.

Show of hands...How many now feel comfortable about near-term return of 737MAX to service?

Some quotes from another article about new flaw discovery...

"While the crashes remain under investigation, preliminary reports showed that a new stabilization system pushed both planes into steep nosedives from which the pilots could not recover. The issue is known in aviation vernacular as runaway stabilizer trim."
AND
"In simulator tests, government pilots discovered that a microprocessor failure could push the nose of the plane toward the ground. It is not known whether the microprocessor played a role in either crash."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/26/politics/boeing-737-max-flaw/index.html

I'm probably wrong, but those 2 quotes I posted above sound more like TWO new problems--1 hardware, 1 software issue.

Show of hands...How many now feel comfortable about near-term return of 737MAX to service?
I could care less about the MAX ever seeing the clouds again from 30,000 ft. Boeing pushed that airframe beyond its designs and capabilities.

Reactions: B737 driver
I could care less about the MAX ever seeing the clouds again from 30,000 ft. Boeing pushed that airframe beyond its designs and capabilities.
Ours are now through Oct 3 rd. They will keep finding problems. Boeing could always build NGs, and do a new design based on the 757, with 787 tech.

Boeing felt the need to do the 73 MAX but given the low wing vs Airbus with its high wing AB made out w the NEOs. Question is did they learn a lesson? Its sad that 2 planes went down w 346 lives. Hopefully Boeing will learn from their mistakes n move fwd