AA fires mechanics for sleeping on duty

I don't work nights but I just can't condone this. I bust my ass all day "working to rule" and am proud to do a good job with the skills I have. I know it's tough to stay up all night (I did it years ago for a previous job) but at the end of the day - you are at work and should act like it. It may be that this was winked at by certain supervisors and it seems callous to crack down out of the blue, but it's a good reminder to all of us that we should follow the book every time.

The problem with unions is we're going to have to use our unions cash reserve to defend these mechanics, who thinks it's there wright to sleep at work. How many times were these guys warned not to sleep!!!
"Duty of Fair Representation" comes into play. The union is obliged to represent everyone, especially when they are treated so obviously unfairly.

I apologize for my earlier spelling error, but the major problem is that some mechs think that sleeping is a right. I'm a line mechanic at ORD and I see first hand how guys "work" to get their down time, I've also seen how management uses sleep to their advantage, but we're in a different time, and I'm not going to start a fight with management over guys sleeping. We need to act like the professionals we can be, rather then a bunch of slackers worrying about our down time. If we want to be paid like professionals we should act like professionals.
So your saying we should work on the planes until departure time? Lets get that MEL list as low as possible. But what happens when we have clean airplanes or a light workload night? Should we sit in the corner and stare at the wall?

So your saying we should work on the planes until departure time? Lets get that MEL list as low as possible. But what happens when we have clean airplanes or a light workload night? Should we sit in the corner and stare at the wall?

You could sweep the floor or the ramp, or wash ground equipment. There is always something to do.

Maybe we could remove the autopilot and autotrottles for swdriver's airplane. I would hate to see him get fired for sleeping while the airplane is flying itself.

I am not here advocating or condoning sleeping on the job.

But if one mechanic gets away with a simple first step advisory then all mechanics get a first step advisory.

What part of fair and equitible treatment don't you anti-unionist on this board understand?

It has nothing to do with the "right or wrong" of sleeping on the job, it is about everyone being disciplined equally for the violation.

Quit blaming the unions and place the blame on the shoulders of whoever agreed that a first step advisory was sufficient punishment for the sleeping crime. Management had a choice on how far to take this matter, their choices have been way short of fair and equitable to all. Next step would be a lawsuit if all employees are not treated equally.

I am a member of the traveling public and work in the beverage industry - putting sugar water in boxes, but most companies have computer based training or something like it to take up dead time. The best way to justify higher pay for any union worker is to increase productivity - take some training to increase productivity. That is the way to justify higher pay....much better than putting up bill boards attacking your own company......

I am a member of the traveling public and work in the beverage industry - putting sugar water in boxes, but most companies have computer based training or something like it to take up dead time. The best way to justify higher pay for any union worker is to increase productivity - take some training to increase productivity. That is the way to justify higher pay....much better than putting up bill boards attacking your own company......

I'm still waiting for executives to increase their productivity to justify their increases in pay.

All we hear from the pro company anti union sorts here is that the workers need to increase productivity, but they never mention the executive desk jockeys' productivity.

I'm still waiting for executives to increase their productivity to justify their increases in pay.

All we hear from the pro company anti union sorts here is that the workers need to increase productivity, but they never mention the executive desk jockeys' productivity.

The managers need to get out on the floor of the hangar and make sure that each and every mech. is putting forth an effort to work on the planes until their shift is done., very simple.

The managers need to get out on the floor of the hangar and make sure that each and every mech. is putting forth an effort to work on the planes until their shift is done., very simple.

And managers need to be in every cockpit on every flight to make sure pilots aren't asleep at the wheel either...You're just gonna have to stay awake and read the wall street journal and do the crosswords and SODUKUs.

And managers need to be in every cockpit on every flight to make sure pilots aren't asleep at the wheel either...You're just gonna have to stay awake and read the wall street journal and do the crosswords and SODUKUs.

Your group gets caught doing a no no and you can not stand it. AA needs to fire every slacker that they have on the payroll. By doing so, they may not have to lay off anyone come November.

Your group gets caught doing a no no and you can not stand it. AA needs to fire every slacker that they have on the payroll. By doing so, they may not have to lay off anyone come November.

You can micro-manage someone (or a program) to death. On a given day you might have to fire EVERYONE...lol

You can micro-manage someone (or a program) to death. On a given day you might have to fire EVERYONE...lol
This is not about micro-managing. This is about personal responsibility. If you don't follow the rules, then you must pay the price. This should be the rule of thumb for any work group, not just night shift mechanics. Any amount of micro-managing is not going to change those inclined to slack on the job. It will only cause those to do so more covertly.

Latest posts

Back