AA - lost bag 45 days, refund only for contents

John142

Feb 3, 2022
Hi everyone. I would appreciate your help/advice/input

I was on a trip Zurich-Amsterdam-LA-Portland(OR). My ticket was booked with Delta, but in AMS, the KLM (partnering airline) rescheduled me to have my final leg of the journey with AA (for the LA-Portland flight).

My checked bag didn't make it into Portland even though I rechecked it in LA (entering the US from an international flight, so needed to be rechecked). I filed the claim immediately at the PDX airport with AA.
My flight was on Jan 17. Five days later, I filled the Passenger Property Questionnaire.
In the email I got, I was told that they "expect to resolve [my] claim by 3-6-2022". That means that they take around 45 days before declaring my bag as lost. I am wondering if that us a usual practice because 45 days seems like way too long.
On the phone, the Central Baggage representative told me that "if they found my bag, they would reimburse me for the receipt I submitted on the 3rd day for buying necessities ($50ish); and if they don't find my bag, they would only reimburse me for the bag contents".

Now, these two questions stand:
1. Is 45 days unreasonable amount of time that the airline is waiting before declaring it as lost? If so, what is your suggestion?
2. If they don't find the bag, how can they reimburse me only for the contents of it and not for the expenses that I've had in the meantime (aka, in the 45 days that I was left without basically most of my possessions).

P.S. I don't live in Portland, but go to college here, if that is relevant. Thank you!!

You're not going to get a response here from anyone empowered to change your outcome. I dealt with this in a past life, so don't take it as gospel as things might have changed since AA was raided by America West/USAir....

You'll be reimbursed for those immediate out of pocket necessities. But necessity and nice to have are two different things. Don't expect the airline to buy you new headphones or a tablet. They'll pay for underwear, socks, toiletries and maybe a coat.

You'll also be reimbursed for the contents of the bag if it's ultimately lost. Since you were on an international ticket, that's going to be limited to around $1800. Too bad, because if it was a domestic ticket, you'd have a max of $3800. Some valuables probably won't be covered if you didn't declare them up-front.

You're not going to get continued "loss of the use of my things" reimbursement unless you argue with American for some alternative compensation (e.g. AAdvantage miles or a transportation vouchers for a future ticket purchase).

You're also about to find out you'll need some degree of receipts for the contents, and the valuation may be depreciated if it's something you've owned for a few years.

I had damage on BA once for a 20 year old musical instrument case, and they tried to argue depreciation with me. After refusing to settle the claim for about year, they finally came back with an offer closer to actual replacement value and not the depreciated value.

Hi everyone. I would appreciate your help/advice/input

I was on a trip Zurich-Amsterdam-LA-Portland(OR). My ticket was booked with Delta, but in AMS, the KLM (partnering airline) rescheduled me to have my final leg of the journey with AA (for the LA-Portland flight).

My checked bag didn't make it into Portland even though I rechecked it in LA (entering the US from an international flight, so needed to be rechecked). I filed the claim immediately at the PDX airport with AA.
My flight was on Jan 17. Five days later, I filled the Passenger Property Questionnaire.
In the email I got, I was told that they "expect to resolve [my] claim by 3-6-2022". That means that they take around 45 days before declaring my bag as lost. I am wondering if that us a usual practice because 45 days seems like way too long.
On the phone, the Central Baggage representative told me that "if they found my bag, they would reimburse me for the receipt I submitted on the 3rd day for buying necessities ($50ish); and if they don't find my bag, they would only reimburse me for the bag contents".

Now, these two questions stand:
1. Is 45 days unreasonable amount of time that the airline is waiting before declaring it as lost? If so, what is your suggestion?
2. If they don't find the bag, how can they reimburse me only for the contents of it and not for the expenses that I've had in the meantime (aka, in the 45 days that I was left without basically most of my possessions).

P.S. I don't live in Portland, but go to college here, if that is relevant. Thank you!!
And if it is considered loss you need to get reimbursed for the "Lost" luggage or bags as well, don't let them get away with not reimbursing you for everything you deserve. E is correct above there is a fine line for necessities and I just want items. However, they do need to reimburse for all items that you did have to purchase to replace lost items no matter they find your bag(s) or not, as you will need those items in the mean time for every day usage while waiting. Also they will need to reimburse you for the loss of the bag or bags too, just don't try to get top of the line replacements unless it really was, just expect a replacement for the same value that was lost. Once folks start demanding for more or better/premium items above what they really had then the airlines will usually shut down any kind of reimbursements as they should. You do deserve reimbursement for the same value of what was lost but not anything over and above. And remember, the loudest squeaky wheels always get the grease...