AA/ONEWORLD Alliance One step closer

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they keep their costs in line with what they're charging, and can get the service levels up a notch or two (which is bound to happen as they gain experience). these guys could wind up giving one or two of the legacy carriers a run for the money.

Keeping costs in line usually, not always, but usually means "labor costs." And labor costs usually means affecting those not making exuberant salaries as it is. I do find it amusing that even airlines that have sprouted up under the "low cost" flag eventually inch the fares up and succumb to the cost cutting mania that takes over the industry.

Management has to take their share of the blame on this one.....can't blame unions when none exist.
As for the Jetblues, Virgin America and Southwests of the world, I tell this to those speak so highly of them: Try flying those A320's over the Atlantic or Pacific.

Let's get this deal done already. If the regulatory authorities had any sense of fairness this would have been done years ago along with UA/LH, DL/AF and NW/KL. I don't know how they could even considering turning down the application with a straight face.

As for Branson, this is just part of his unending campaign of hate against BA. Nothing new there.

As an employee, I have to agree with FWAAA's sentiment. Why would any of us not want this deal to go through? It puts our employer at a huge competitive disadvantage not to have an immunity deal with all the other big groupings do.

I really don't see how the DOT can turn our current application down with a straight face...

From the Dallas Morning News:

American, British Airways stress competition in Oneworld alliance debate

The epicenter of a battle over American Airlines Inc's alliance with British Airways PLC turns out to be the same place it has been for more than a decade – London's Heathrow Airport.

Under their plan, British Airways (foreground) and American Airlines would jointly set fares and coordinate schedules. That's not where American, British Airways and its partners want the attention. They'd like regulators to focus on maintaining competition among global alliances and to grant their Oneworld alliance the same immunity from antitrust laws that carriers in the Star Alliance and SkyTeam alliances have enjoyed for years.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...ce.3fa51b8.html

Of course there is competition. It's not a merger. Just like in Star, UA and LH fly routes US to -FRA and -MUC and compete on them in terms of price and product. They just share the revenue and marketing. AA will still be flying to LHR after this deal is up and running, count on it. Contrary to what some would have us believe, this will not "outsource" jobs to foreign carriers.

Of course there is competition. It's not a merger.

No, the competition referenced above is not between members of the same alliance, it's between the alliances. Skyteam competing with Star Alliance (and, if AA/BA/IB etc is approved, then 3-way competition).

Just like in Star, UA and LH fly routes US to -FRA and -MUC and compete on them in terms of price and product. They just share the revenue and marketing.

UA and LH aren't competing with each other on transatlantic routes - that's what the antitrust immunity allows. They cooperate on scheduling, pricing, marketing - everything.

AA will still be flying to LHR after this deal is up and running, count on it. Contrary to what some would have us believe, this will not "outsource" jobs to foreign carriers.

I completely agree. NW and KLM have had ATI for over 15 years, and NW flies plenty of planes over the Atlantic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back