AA Pilots Would Support BA Strike

FWAAA is absolutely right; I would add that this is hypocrisy on a large scale.

The more I read about Captain Hill, the more it seems clear that he wants to force American down the road recently traveled by Delta, Northwest, United and US Airways: chapter 11.

Unless the Hills and Gladings of AA's organized labor drop the bully act and start making serious gestures toward working collaboratively with management, I don't see how AA can remain competitive.

This has to be one of the most naive posts I've ever read on this board.

FWAAA is absolutely right; I would add that this is hypocrisy on a large scale.

The more I read about Captain Hill, the more it seems clear that he wants to force American down the road recently traveled by Delta, Northwest, United and US Airways: chapter 11.

Unless the Hills and Gladings of AA's organized labor drop the bully act and start making serious gestures toward working collaboratively with management, I don't see how AA can remain competitive.

No I do not think so, more like Dubinsky, just throttle and squeeze the Golden Goose until it is just short of expiring!!!

I saw how the caterers were putting 300 first class meals on empty flights during the 93 FA strike and then throwing them out. The pilots at AA will not be directed toward what would be a wildcat strike to support what would be a job action outside any US labor action, let alone their own coworkers ,which was no problem.

All fine and well, but the average Joe isn't going to seek out the press release. They're going to read what the media writes, and that implied pretty clearly that a BA strike would mean an AA sympathy strike. And you know that APA would rather have customers afraid than informed.

The points about not speaking up when the other US carriers were gang raped are duly noted, but defensable -- they didn't happen on Hill's watch...
True. Capt. Hill was trying to de-rail the APA concession freight train in 2003. He even led an attempt to get a court order to stop the APA pilot vote on the whole deal. I guess you could say his hands were full fighting his own. :)

As far as the media participation by APA, I view it as a breath of fresh air. Finally we have some leadership willing to offer up -the other side- of the story for those willing to listen, or interested in hearing something other than something from the AA media machine.

But, to get back on topic here, the author really butchered the story.

It was before my time with AA, but it seems that IIRC the AA pilots did not support the AA f/as strike and they crossed our picket lines. Am I wrong? Curious minds want to know.
IIRC having everyone else report to work and having AA fly empty airplanes was the APFA strategy, and it worked. The company was losing more money by having to pay everyone except the FAs, who were the lowest paid anyway,to fly and maintain empty airplanes than they would have if everyone honored the APFA pickets. The company underestimated the resolve of the Flight Attendants and they failed to have replacements available. Crandal ate crow in "93" and it was the APFA that served it to him.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='578255' date='Mar 3 2008, 06:30 AM']And we will do it again! Only this time Arpey will be eating the crow :up:[/quote]

Just keep in mind that this isn't 1993 anymore. Back then, holding onto market share with customer service was valued much more than today. AA was #1 or highly ranked in customer service and quality at the time. A prolonged strike would have been devasting. Today is a different animal. Taking a strike and dropping from #10 to #14 in quality rankings might be an easier pill to swallow for AA management. Even easier if it would clear out many in a group that isn't getting younger, (long term med $$$$). Also consider the effects of the internet (fare sales) and many "shiny, happy, and clueless" scabs in filling the seat back up and the perception (right or wrong) of good service.

good luck

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='578255' date='Mar 3 2008, 01:30 AM']And we will do it again! Only this time Arpey will be eating the crow :up:[/quote]

It's just this kind of attitude that tells me American is in for a rough ride. The idea that you're going to "stick it" to management (for what purpose?) ignores the fact that success for the company is success for the employees. In the most basic sense, if a labor group cripples AA and forces it into Chapter 11, who wins? The employees who lose some pension benefits? Shareholders (many of whom are employees)?

I worry that Hill and Glading are going to force AA down this very road. Trust me, having seen it close-up with DL it is not a detour you want to take.

Unfortunately, that's not how things seem to work at AA or other legacy carriers. If a union's leadership doesn't try to stick it to management, they've failed and get voted out by the next group of radicals....

Even at WN, this is becoming the norm but to a lesser degree as their pioneers start to retire...

Unfortunately, that's not how things seem to work at AA or other legacy carriers. If a union's leadership doesn't try to stick it to management, they've failed and get voted out by the next group of radicals....

Even at WN, this is becoming the norm but to a lesser degree as their pioneers start to retire...

Not really, the pilot 2003 contract vote was an example of the faint hope that management would actually work together at AA. Arpey was the hope.

Their actions since then poisond the well and led to Lloyd Hill getting elected.

I really don't see anything radical about demanding that your union leadership not be lapdogs for managment. <_<

I wish we in the twu had the ability to acually vote out the real problemswith the leadership at the top, the only choice we have is rid ourselves of the entire union; that is if the compAAny allows us to. :shock:

Well, then why is it that different for Local 100 and whatever local it is that the WN Flight Attendants have? They're under the same dictatorship, and seem to do OK.

I'm certainly not advocating that labor be management's lapdog, but I do think it serves the interest of all parties involved to approach the negotiations constructively and with serious intent. Captain Hill comes across as a demagogue and appears to leave little room to change tack or strike a more conciliatory tone later. This may come back to bite him you-know-where.

I'm certainly not advocating that labor be management's lapdog, but I do think it serves the interest of all parties involved to approach the negotiations constructively and with serious intent. Captain Hill comes across as a demagogue and appears to leave little room to change tack or strike a more conciliatory tone later. This may come back to bite him you-know-where.
If you are an AA customer, first let me say "Thank You".

If you care to get the other side of the story here's a few links to let you know where the pilots are coming from..

http://www.apanegotiations.com/Overview/ta...54/Default.aspx

http://www.apanegotiations.com/QuickFacts/...56/Default.aspx

http://www.apanegotiations.com/TheTruthAbo...55/Default.aspx

Obviously there are people who have made up their minds that the pilots are, _________________ (fill in the blanks), and have solidified their belief that no matter what, the pilots are unreasonable. I accept that. Comes with the territory. However, If you want to get the otherside of the story, that web site will have a lot of it. Not all, but most.

Thanks for flying AA. :)