AA Posts $284M Q2 Loss

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
Visit site
Dear Fellow Employee:

Today we reported a second quarter loss of $284 million, excluding the special non-cash charge reflecting the write down of some of our aircraft and routes that I discussed in my letter of two weeks ago. This result compares very unfavorably to the $317 million profit we earned during the same period a year ago. It's certainly no mystery to anyone how our results could deteriorate so dramatically from one year to the next - since our roughly $600 million drop in earnings coincided with a fuel cost increase of well over $800 million.

When taken out of context, our revenue performance during the second quarter was actually reasonably good. On the strength of full planes (82.5 percent load factor) and rising yields, we increased our revenue per available seat mile by seven percent. Unfortunately, that impressive increase didn't come close to matching the extraordinary rise in the price of fuel. During the second quarter, we paid $3.19 per gallon of jet fuel, 53 percent more than the $2.09 per gallon we paid a year ago. We are currently paying over $4.00 per gallon as oil has continued its steady march higher.

A fair question I'm often asked is why we don't simply raise fares to match our skyrocketing fuel costs, especially since our planes are full. The fact is, we have raised fares repeatedly, both directly and by restricting the number of seats available for sale at the lowest fares. We have also, as you know, introduced a number of fees that are enabling us to recapture more of the costs associated with the services we provide.

Our revenue-boosting efforts are, however, bumping up against a couple of hard realities. First, as you all know, the U.S. economy has been slowing, thus dampening the demand for air travel. In a sluggish economy, consumers are even more sensitive to price, and when we raise fares we inevitably motivate some would-be travelers to just stay home. Second, if we raise our fares and other airlines don't follow suit - as often happens - we must either withdraw our fare increase or risk losing customers to lower-priced competitors. The truth is even a small difference in price almost always costs us more revenue in lost customers than we can gain by charging the higher fare. The goal is to wring as much revenue as we can out of every seat - and an empty seat obviously generates no revenue at all.

We need to close the widening gap between our revenues and our costs, and painful as it is, one of the levers we must use to make that happen is reducing the capacity of our network. Shrinking our operation will eliminate some of the flying we are doing at a loss, and at least partially address the imbalance between supply and demand in the marketplace. That should help us as we seek to increase fares, and make those increases stick.

As we reduce capacity, we will be simultaneously accelerating the renewal of our fleet retiring older airplanes and replacing them, gradually, with newer, more fuel efficient models. We have already announced that by the end of the year we will retire 30 MD-80s, 10 A300s, 37 regional jets and 26 turbo-prop aircraft. And today we are announcing an accelerated retirement schedule for our remaining A300 fleet (34 aircraft). Those planes, which we had been planning to retire by the end of 2012, will instead be retired by the end of next year.

In light of the level of volatility in the airline industry, we've decided to put on hold our efforts to divest American Eagle. Although the strategic reasons for divesting Eagle continue to make sense, we've decided to wait until the industry has stabilized before moving forward with this divestiture. On the other hand, we expect that our agreement to sell American Beacon to an investment group will be completed in the third quarter and will further improve our cash balance.

I know it is difficult, for all of us, to see the progress we have made over the last several years wiped out by the soft economy and soaring fuel prices. But I hope you can take some solace in the fact that we have faced and met similar challenges before. We will do so again.

With the summer in full swing, I know how hard everyone is working. I want to thank you, as always, for your efforts, and remind you that in tough times, it is even more important that we take care of every customer we have. While we can't do as much as we'd like about the economy or the price of fuel, we can always do our best to make sure our customers are satisfied.

Thank you for your hard work and continued support.

Sincerely yours,

Gerard Arpey

CEO

We have already announced that by the end of the year we will retire 30 MD-80s, 10 A300s, 37 regional jets and 26 turbo-prop aircraft. And today we are announcing an accelerated retirement schedule for our remaining A300 fleet (34 aircraft). Those planes, which we had been planning to retire by the end of 2012, will instead be retired by the end of next year.

CEO

Heard again yesterday from a convo with tech services that 16 A300's goe down in September and the rest next September...

The opening number in the musical, Barnum, is a song entitled, "There's a Sucker Born Every Minute."

AMR stock is up 21.54% this morning at $5.36. Thank goodness for all those folk who think they can make a profit on airline stocks where others have failed. :up:

The stock jump is primarily because AA announced they will NOT be selling their major feed source, Eagle, and that the sale of Beacon is still on track.

The stock jump is primarily because AA announced they will NOT be selling their major feed source, Eagle, and that the sale of Beacon is still on track.

Never mind the fact that the lion's share of this loss was the paper type - non cash/writedown of assets. That's why the stock went up.

Eaglet, I feel, has nothing to do with it - it will be disposed of in a manner that will net the execs all they can get in bonuses for another sellout of the corporation well done but this ain't the right time. If it's so great a feeder line, there'd really be no sense to sell it - maybe a spinoff, but no sale.

Beacon is a poor joke of an investment "firm" - we (employees) have to deal with their lack of investment options and being told what we can and can't do. For the fees paid, one could get much better away from the AMR umbrella. I would prefer the option of something more self-directed and the ability to buy and sell stocks.

I am surprised, however, AMR is willing to sell Beacon as it's been a moneymaker for it due to fees charged for the 401k "management" on behalf of AA's employees - the fees being under the radar in the financial reports and the employees not realizing the extent they are funding the company with their retirement funds' maintenance fees.

BTW Wing - I can't see voting for Nader - maybe Batman ....

Never mind the fact that the lion's share of this loss was the paper type - non cash/writedown of assets. That's why the stock went up.

Whatever it is, it's up 30% as of the 2PM update. I actually made some money off of this rust bucket airline today!

BTW Wing - I can't see voting for Nader - maybe Batman ....

I can't see voting for Nader either, but the alternative options are not viable. You'll either get a bald-faced liar or an old goat who will croak before his first 6 months are up. In both cases you'll be voting for the Vice President only. With Nader, you know what you'll get - or not get as the case may be.

Beacon is a poor joke of an investment "firm" - we (employees) have to deal with their lack of investment options and being told what we can and can't do. For the fees paid, one could get much better away from the AMR umbrella. I would prefer the option of something more self-directed and the ability to buy and sell stocks.

I am surprised, however, AMR is willing to sell Beacon as it's been a moneymaker for it due to fees charged for the 401k "management" on behalf of AA's employees - the fees being under the radar in the financial reports and the employees not realizing the extent they are funding the company with their retirement funds' maintenance fees.

AMR's willing to sell Beacon simply because someone is willing to buy them, and they've had offers on the table more than once.

Now, if Beacon is such a joke, that doesn't say much for the other pieces that AMR expressed an interest in selling off, i.e. the MRO business and Eagle.

If you want to know what the fees are, all you have to do is ask for them. It's a required disclosure for any qualified retirement plan.

Once the number of AA pilots drops below the Commuter Clause trigger, they'll have to. Given announced possible furloughs and the ever increasing number of pilot early retirements, that's a real possibility.

Given AE's fleet make-up and $130 oil, I don't think you could give-away Eagle anyway.

And the final numbers are in - and it's huge, as expected:

American will park its entire fleet of Airbus A300 jets by the end of 2009, and the airline may need to slash even more capacity next year. The announcement came as American posted a $1.4 billion net loss, swollen by a big charge on aircraft values. Excluding special items, AMR lost $284 million, versus $317 million in net income in second quarter 2007. AMR also said that it would indefinitely delay the sale or spinoff of its American Eagle unit and that it raised $720 million by mortgaging airplanes or selling airplanes and leasing them back from the buyer.

The opening number in the musical, Barnum, is a song entitled, "There's a Sucker Born Every Minute."

AMR stock is up 21.54% this morning at $5.36. Thank goodness for all those folk who think they can make a profit on airline stocks where others have failed. :up:
So for those who held on to their 433 shares they now have $156.

For those interested in knowing, much of the A300 capacity will be replaced at MIA in one of three ways:

1) Some routes will see increased frequency with smaller 738s and 757s. For example, MIA-PTY will likely be 3x 738 instead of 1x AB6/1x 757. MIA-LIM is likely to go from 2x AB6 to 3x 757.

2) Some routes will see 763s and 772s, the most likley being MIA-BOG, MIA-CCS, MIA-GYE, MIA-PAP, and MIA-SDQ (the first three are limited entry markets where extra frequencies are not necessarily possible at this time) . These services will use planes that would otherwise be parked at MIA in between long-haul flights.

3) Other routes will just see sharper capacity cuts, but these will be in the minority.

The ending of A300 flying in 2009 will likely result in a net gain of around 8-10 daily flights at MIA added directly because of the retirement.

From JFK we've already seen the A300s drawbacks with the fall schedules, such as 763s on JFK-PAP/SDQ, and SJU will likely become 757s (probably with a 4th frequency thrown in).