AA to Barcelona; JFK-FCO

[blockquote]
...it wouldn't seem logical to ferry in a 777 into STL to support the service.
[/blockquote]

You don't need to ferry one in. Just put it on a LAX-NRT-STL-NRT-DFW routing (or something like that). That's how the SEA-NRT trip was sourced (DFW-NRT-SEA-NRT-DFW), and may still be how the SJC trip is sourced today.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/13/2002 12:20:12 PM eolesen wrote:

You don't need to ferry one in. Just put it on a LAX-NRT-STL-NRT-DFW routing (or something like that). That's how the SEA-NRT trip was sourced (DFW-NRT-SEA-NRT-DFW), and may still be how the SJC trip is sourced today.
----------------
[/blockquote]

I hadn't thought of that. That would make sense. I was thinking of the nonsense that's going on to support the STL-LGW trip. As I understand it cabin crews are coming in from Dallas to work the equipment (that sources out of LAX). The solution you've mentioned doesn't currently work for STL-LGW as the RDU & DFW flights are via 777 vs. the 763 out of STL. But for an NRT flight (which would need the 777s legs from STL) this would indeed work well.

Since come spring STL will have the only two-class service to London in the system you kinda have to wonder if they'll look to switch that to a 777 as well (using the routing solution you've mentioned) to keep the product consistent (three-class service to London) systemwide. Of course, I'm not sure the loads will support a 777. Although not too long ago TWA was running two 767s in the Summer to LGW via STL...and before that I seem to remember two 747s in the Summer...though I may be mistaken on that last point.

If you're interested in US international route authorities, the US DOT publishes a list broken down by carrier as of November 2001. It's online at http://ostpxweb.dot.gov/aviation/intav/carweb01.pdf

Conveniently, it lists AA's authorities separately from those owned by TWA LLC after the merger.

There are really some great routes on the list. AA's got authority to fly a popular route between Minneapolis and Lybia and another winner between Pittsburgh and Iraq. My favorite, though, is a United authority: Rockford, Ill., to Iran.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/13/2002 9:39:49 AM nyc6035 wrote:

I seem to remember they converted 4 757s to the 16F configuration. IIRC to support the 'galley packing' they put in space for an extra cart (or two) in front of the 1a-c seats. The passenger seats had footrests and I believe the recline was improved some on this equipment vs the 22F standard config.
[/blockquote]

Yes. The four aircraft were #7503-7506, or 5TC, TD, TE, and TF under AA's numbering system. It was laid out in four rows of four with the same recline as our 767-300's. This created a huge empty space in front of 1A and 1C which we called the dance floor. Eventually they installed racks for two carts and two carriers above (I think) but they never were actually used. As they awaited FAA approval of the installation the decision was made to take the 757 off the Atlantic. As the Internationals were frequently subbed on domestic flights, six revenue seats were frequently lost in the year this fiasco continued.

[blockquote]

I think it's fair to say you'll probably not see STL-NRT ever. With the whole fences thing (particularily with the Pilots) regarding 777 equipment, it wouldn't seem logical to ferry in a 777 into STL to support the service.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Never is a long time. I think if AA thought they could make it profitable they'd find a way to do it.

MK

IF STL-NRT ever flew the 777 would come from NRT and return to NRT. It would not fly from DFW or ORD-STL-NRT. IF STL-LGW ever went 777, then it could interchange, but NRT-STL-NRT would be my bet for a routing of the 777.

I have not seen any company press release or the like about this new summer service to Rome and Barcelona. The flights have not been loaded into SABRE yet. Any idea when the big announcement was or will be made

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/18/2002 9:19:13 PM s80dude wrote:

I have not seen any company press release or the like about this new summer service to Rome and Barcelona. The flights have not been loaded into SABRE yet. Any idea when the big announcement was or will be made

----------------
[/blockquote]
JFK-BCA was announced on Jet Net.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/18/2002 9:53:53 PM Flyboy4u wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/18/2002 9:19:13 PM s80dude wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]
JFK-BCA was announced on Jet Net.
----------------
[/blockquote]
Where on JetNet?

Well, I'm thrilled to have AA start serving BCN. But now, living in the #2 hub, I can't fly it. Why? Because AA refuses to have a real ORD-JFK feed (that once/week AM 757 this winter doesn't count). So, I get to fly ORD-STL-JFK-BCN??

Come on, AA...

Why should JFK flying be farmed out to ORD (requiring more hotel rooms and what not) when we have pilots based in NY that can fly it?

Talk about pissing money away...

Ooops just reread your post and realized you are a pax. My apologies.

Bohica

No sweat.

[A href=http://www.iata.org/sked/_files/AA_IATA%20S03%20Draft.pdf]http://www.iata.org/sked/_files/AA_IATA%20S03%20Draft.pdf[/A] Has the summer highlights. You should also find the information at N*market changes intl (in res)

Now I see the cause of all this... [a href=http://www.iata.org/sked/schedules.asp]IATA Slot Conference filings[/a] sometimes include markets which may or may not be flown. JFK-BCN looks like a speculative filing, and not a firm scheduling decision.

As other examples, US Airways filed two PHL-LGW flights for summer 2003, but only have one showing in availability. Likewise, UAL filed IAD-MXP, but has nothing in availability.

Would they operate these flights if the slots were available? Maybe. Likewise for AA on JFK-BCN.

I just wonder why the company hasn't loaded the flights in to SABRE. Wouldn't most people begin planning summer trips within the next month or so. Seems you would want your flights into the system and ready for booking to grab that revenue.