AA to begin DFW-HKG and DFW-PVG in 2014; cancels JFK-HND

It isn't a big secret what kind of passenger or cargo loads airlines carry to their employees who have access to operational data, which crew members do. Pilots and FAs and ground staff obviously know what is revenue pax and cargo and how much of each goes on each flight, even if they have to swap info with each other to get the picture. The nice DOT summarizes it all for the public as well.

WT, I don't know about others, but I have never had a clue (nor particularly cared) about how much cargo was in the hold. AFAIK, the only cargo info given to the captain is total weight and (if applicable) the nature of any hazardous cargo because he has to sign off on and approve transport of hazardous materials. (Say, for instance, a case of high-energy lithium batteries.)

I've never heard an agent, a pilot, or a f/a mention the value or revenue from cargo. But, then I'm a flight attendant. I'm paid to be cute, not smart. CORRECTION: I just remembered years ago before I was furloughed in 2003, I was working a flight from DFW to somewhere (that I don't remember), and we had something like 30 passengers on board. I said to the captain that I had never seen more than 50 people on any plane going to our destination and wondered why we bothered flying the route. He said that if it weren't for U.S. Mail contracts, we wouldn't fly that route, but that we made enough money from the Post Office to make the flight at least break even.

Jim,
it is now very difficult if not impossible to know revenue on a flight using information that is accessible to frontline employees.
However, airlines do separate weights from passenger baggage, cargo, and mail because the DOT has separate reporting categories for each of those and the info has to be input as such.
Some airlines pick up the weight from the check-in process and sum that number based on how the ramp loads the aircraft, again based on information from the load planner.

Pilots may or may not know what is weight from revenue cargo vs. passenger baggage.

At some level in the frontline operation, and usually at the ramp level, it is known and those who are interested could find out.

The DOT publishes that information on an aggregate level so it is possible to know how much cargo and mail a flight carries on average for that market at least on a monthly basis. The DOT also publishes load factor information by market by carrier using data the airlines provide.

Whether on a frontline basis or eventually from DOT data, it is possible to know how well carriers do in specific markets on at least a monthly basis with regard to weights and loads and eventually from the DOT regarding revenue - usually 3 months or more after the quarter closes.

There are airline employees who would like to say that a passenger airline can make money based solely on cargo or mail but the economics of passenger airlines don't support that any longer. The postal service is highly aggressive in getting the lowest price and UPS and FedEx can compete very effectively in that area against the passenger airlines.

yes, 700, it is Mrs. SHE is still ticked and indications are that knowledge of US espionage efforts about HER went all the way to the top of the US government where HE knew.

still doesn't change my point that the US government has so much information that no one should be surprised.

Latest posts