AA to begin DFW-HKG and DFW-PVG in 2014; cancels JFK-HND

There you go again holding on to the failed past. At least Delta was smart enough to be an industry leader on eliminating the green screen that is longed for by wannabe union leaders like you.

Did I miss anything! Lmao...

How'd you do that without a self-contradicting word cloud?

You're going to get us kicked out of The People's Temple.

Reactions: 2 people
for some reason the software on this board converted the brand name of mobile devices that DL is issuing to its personnel into the characters you see above.

the topic is flights to Asia.... remember?

Westinghouse screens aren't used on airplanes... never were on commercial flights anyway.

AA has their own version of onboard mobile technology. Feel free to include it in the conversation.

did you happen to pick up AA's stat for onboard revenue per passenger on their transpac flights? I might have missed it....

of course a big part of the reason for mobile devices for each crew member is so that each FA is responsible for his/her own sales, to encourage them to sell more so that they receive credit for their sales, and for the companies to receive their receipts faster.

AS noted a figure in its earnings statement for the value of onboard sales per passenger and I believe it was about $12-15, IIRC. All carriers are trying to push that number higher.

network carriers including AA obviously have the potential to sell significant amounts of duty free and other purchases on transoceanic flights and many FAs are very effective at doing so. I have seen multiple pax on transpac flights each buy hundreds of dollars of merchandise from a well-motivated FA.

Not sure what kind of compensation AA or other carriers offer for onboard sales... perhaps some of the AA FAs can advise us of AA's policies.

Don't know about International duty-free, but on domestic, we get no commission for liquor sales. We get a 10% commission for food sales. However, if I sell $100 worth of food, the $10 is split evenly among all the f/as (usually 1 other on my flights) working in coach. There is no tracking of commissions to the person who actually made the sale.

because they have no idea how these routes are performing.

Nope, impossible for employees to notice how much freight or bags go on the airplane, or how full the cabins are.

I know full airplanes aren't an indicator of profitability, but when I see an entirely full business class cabin between PVG and LAX as I did earlier this week (on a flight that WT claims is an absolute loser), it's probably safe to say that there's nothing stopping them from selling seats.

Aside from the ugly paint job on the airplane, it was a pretty good service, and the LAX crews are years better than anything I've experienced from DFW or MIA.

Not nearly as quiet as flying on BA or CX due to the outdated 2-3-2 seating in business class, but that, too, will change eventually.

Reactions: 1 person
Jim,
I am certain you have been on flights of ultra low fare carriers that put a priority on onboard sales and they do that by motivating their crews by tying individual sales performance to their paycheck.
Nothing more motivating than to know that the more you as an individual sell, the more you personally gain.
Onboard mobile technology allows that and airlines should use it to that end.

E,
It's not I who says AA is losing money on its Pacific network.... AA itself tells the DOT who shares the info because that is what people want to know. Mr. Merkel would be a lot less ticked if she knew some of the info the US gov has on her citizens right? Same principle works w/ the airlines.

AA says they lost 14 cents for every dollar of revenue on the Pacific. Their revenue on LAX-PVG and NRT routes are well below even their ORD routes.

The only salvation for AA on LAX-Asia is that UA might be ready to seriously start throwing in the towel on some parts of its network in order in order push its financial performance to levels that WS expects. Of course if UA throws in the towel on LAX-Asia, it isn't a stretch that DL might expand its LAX-Asia network. History would say that UA has been an easier competitor to AA than DL.

It isn't a big secret what kind of passenger or cargo loads airlines carry to their employees who have access to operational data, which crew members do. Pilots and FAs and ground staff obviously know what is revenue pax and cargo and how much of each goes on each flight, even if they have to swap info with each other to get the picture. The nice DOT summarizes it all for the public as well.

Full planes don't mean profits, esp. since published gov't airfares show how deeply AA is willing to discount its int'l routes in order to fill seats. Many of AA's int'l gov't contract fares for this year are far lower than the average fare published by the DOT for all carriers which shows how badly AA has to push to fill some flights and how much market share is a strategy for AA in some markets.

Mr Merkel in Germany? That would be Mrs Merkel.

How can the all knowing Delta-Demi-God not know this?

Remember when you posted USAIR was the second largest carrier to the Caribbean? Remember when posted that AA filed Ch 11 in 2003? Remember when you claimed there was no injunction stopping the AA/US merger. Give it up company boy, people make mistakes and move on.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person

Latest posts