AA To Cancel 55 More 777 and 767 Flights

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
Visit site
In order provide a greater cushion in the 777 and 767 fleets against crew capability, AA will reduce March flights by an additional 250 777 and 500 767 hours.

Flights Affected include:

1 - MIA/GRU
5 - DFW/NRT
6 - JFK/NRT
4 - ORD/PVG
All are roundtrips on the 777

5 - MIAGIG
5 - JFKBGI
10- JFKBDA
3 - JFKSTT
2 - ORDFRA
7 - JFKCDG
7 - JFKBRU
All are roundtrips on the 767

55 additional cancelations for March added to the 52 cancellations for February bringing the total to 107 confirmed cancellations so far.

This does not include last minute/daily cancellations that may or may not
come up due to crew availability issues.

Compared to the number of daily departures for AA, 107 may not seem like much but it is a clear indication that these pilot retirements are starting to hit home, and with more pilots announcing their intentions of retirement as well, the number of cancellations could continue to climb well into the summer months.

Big deal. That averages to less than three cancellations a day, approximately one tenth of one percent of the schedule. That compares to 3.4 percent of AA's scheduled flights canceled last year for other reasons.

As Mark Twain once said, "There are lies. There are damn lies. And, then there are statistics." Yes, as a percentage of total flights these cancellations seem minuscule. But, let's not make the mistake of assuming that the revenue loss from an equal percentage of domestic flights would come close to matching the loss of revenue from these International flights.

Of more concern is how it will ultimately affect AA's bottom line, the line by which employees are both recognized, and compensated either by bonus, AIP or other.

Cancelling any China flights after such an uphill battle to get them is going to ruffle more than a few feathers, especially if the cancellations continue into the summer high travel months. Sao Paulo and Rio are both profitable markets for AA. I'm surprised they didn't dig out their cancellations elsewhere on those routes.

Someone surely dropped the ball on this one. Its like they didn't really believe the pilots would leave so they got caught with their pants down regarding having enough replacements on hand.

There is also a lot of expense associated with paying FO's to sit reserve, due to lack of captains. In the past, 777 crews are seldomly shorted as far as reserve coverage. 777 flying is AA's bread and butter and AA mgmt prefers not to cancel such lucrative trips for lack of crews.

I think many of the flights may have been cancelled anyway due to the number of 777s out of service on a daily basis lately. Take a look at the LHR operation on 2/9.

As Mark Twain once said, "There are lies. There are damn lies. And, then there are statistics." Yes, as a percentage of total flights these cancellations seem minuscule. But, let's not make the mistake of assuming that the revenue loss from an equal percentage of domestic flights would come close to matching the loss of revenue from these International flights.

These are for flights more than a month out, and it looks like the majority of the markets can be protected on other AA or oneworld partner flights. While AA loses the ability to sell seats for a higher price, there's no loss of revenue for those protected on other AA flights.

If the fuel and the crew time saved is greater than the cost of having to protect a percentage of the customers on offline carriers, then there's no loss of revenue. Just a reduction in expenses...

Is it safe to say AA screwed up projections? Dunno. But WN is in a similar pickle, and just extended an offer to its recently retired pilots to come back and work as FO's while they work thru their training bumps....... and they only have one fleet type to contend with!

if the cancellations continue into the summer high travel months

I doubt they will. The easy place to cull the flock right now is the 777 and 767 schedule, since that's where the spike took place. Give it 30-60 days for all the bumps to be triggered, and the impact starts to float down into the MD80 and 737 fleets. Canceling a handful of flights in those schedules doesn't cause nearly as much of a negative impact.

If I recall correctly, this same situation happened during 2000 at AA and DL when the stock market meltdown made the retroactive look-back very attractive. Many Captains retired at once and left both airlines in a temporary train/upgrade bind.

At least this one happened during the relatively slow winter months.

If AA and the other airlines would reduce more flights they might actually be able to make a profit for the service of flying passengers around the planet. In fact, they could have done this instead of filing BK and/or raping the employees of pay and benefits while lining their pockets with gold using a stock based farce of a performance bonus plan.

Capacity reduction will always be the answer when supply outweighs demand. Labor is not the problem when fly too many damn aircraft and flights outpacing the demand. I am no expert on airline business but that seems fairly basic and simple to me.

Someone surely dropped the ball on this one. Its like they didn't really believe the pilots would leave so they got caught with their pants down regarding having enough replacements on hand.

Bingo. I think they thought the pilots would jump at the chance to stay until 65. hahahaha :lol:

At least this one happened during the relatively slow winter months.

I was thinking the same thing. Any other time of year and something like this could have done some real damage. Lets hope they quickly move to get up to speed with their pilot head count again. Tin that doesn't fly, doesn't pay regardless of protections.

According to what one of the pilots told me, the problem lies in the fact that we only have facilities to train so many pilots at one time. Doesn't matter how many retire, only so many can be upgraded in a given period of time.

Of more concern is how it will ultimately affect AA's bottom line, the line by which employees are both recognized, and compensated either by bonus, AIP or other.

Cancelling any China flights after such an uphill battle to get them is going to ruffle more than a few feathers, especially if the cancellations continue into the summer high travel months. Sao Paulo and Rio are both profitable markets for AA. I'm surprised they didn't dig out their cancellations elsewhere on those routes.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I DEFINITELY agree with you..WNP..about X-eling ANY China trips(DOES NOT LOOK GOOD) !!

But as to some of the other trips....JFK/BGI for Example, ..I have a hard time, trying to keep up with scheduling with regard to...."Is the trip..THIS MONTH...Going to be a 757" ???

Also, IF this were to continue into(say) ALL of 08', well THEN I would say,...."Something is ROTTEN in Denmark" :shock:

Who says AA can't use Flight Safety Boeing or some other training center to do some offsite training?