AA & TWA! Two great airlines, one great future! What happened?

Jul 13, 2003
Does anyone really believe that Don Carty had a long term plan for TWA employees, other than providing a cushion for AA employees?

Does anyone really believe that Don Carty cared about the future of TWA employees?

Does anyone really believe Don Carty wanted to do anything other than dismantle a competitor that was expanding operations out of SJU (an AA stronghold since the demise of Eastern Airlines)?

Does anyone really believe that the purchase of TWA and 9/11 are the cause for AA''s failed business model?

Curious minds want to know.

----------------
On 7/28/2003 12:24:21 PM AAplanesareold wrote:

As long as it takes for the truth to be told!

The proud workers at TWA were all screwed by Bill Compton and Don Carty!

----------------​
So there, the truth has been told.
Are you done yet?

Not yet!
9.gif

----------------
On 7/28/2003 12:24:21 PM AAplanesareold wrote:

----------------​

So? Had it not been for Bill Compton and Don Carty, they ultimately would have been screwed by 19 Middle-Eastern terrorists on September 11, 2001 instead.

Do you believe that it was better to have ALL TWA employees lose their jobs on September 12, 2001 instead of having SOME of them keep their jobs while the others lose them slowly, over a long time, making higher wages in the meantime?

Please, enlighten us.

----------------
On 7/28/2003 2:43:12 PM N305AS wrote:

So? Had it not been for Bill Compton and Don Carty, they ultimately would have been screwed by 19 Middle-Eastern terrorists on September 11, 2001 instead.

Do you believe that it was better to have ALL TWA employees lose their jobs on September 12, 2001 instead of having SOME of them keep their jobs while the others lose them slowly, over a long time, making higher wages in the meantime?

Please, enlighten us.

----------------​

You sincerely believe that TWA would have gone under on Sep. 12, 2001? I doubt it my friend. TWA would have had Boeing in the driver's seat by then. Boeing and TWA were in discussions on and off, since at least Spetember 2000. You don't think that Boeing would have allowed TWA, a company that owed Boeing substantial amounts of money, to go under and further debilitate it's position vis a vis Airbus, now would you? I dare say that with the financial backing of Boeing, TWA would have very well survived. If Boeing were not in the picture, TWA would have had to downsize substantially (just like all the other legacy carriers). Even then, I don't believe that TWA would have disappeared from the face of the Earth.

The truth may never be told. Several of the major players will either be deposed or required to testify in Federal court. If you have documents about Senate testimony, press remarks, internal AA documents some of which are available from the AA website, first hand remarks such as Carty's remarks on the Capitol steps that the integration would be the greatest ever, Carty's temper tantrum at Senate hearings, etc., you can get an approximation or best guess. An example is AA's document expecting the IAM and APFA to settle the seniority issue before the single carrier status.
We shall have to live without exactly knowing who said what to who and what the plans were.
There is still a lot going on with the pilots, F/As and mechanics. It remains to be seen what the outcomes will be. Arbitrator Kasher also has several rulings that will effect pilots and mechanics that will be coming down the pike soon.
What is done is done. Whether the courts or arbitrators make major impacts remains to be seen.

Thanks L10,
It was the wierdest thing..I kept thinking is this for real? "The Empire Strikes Back"? Did you know that John Williams actually based the music on The Third Reich? (more symbolism and the truth)

I was at the famed Texas style BBQ that day in STL, and a feast it was. I should have known when our beautiful 757 pulled up to the tune of "Up Up and Away" (personality) and then the stainless steel AA 777 (everything is bigger in Texas) pulled up to the music from "The Empire Strikes Back" (no lie) that something was definatly up. The door went up and the employees and dignitaries filed out Borglike, assimilation was about to begin, except in the end that never really happened, more like annihilation.

----------------
On 7/28/2003 4:04:33 PM AAplanesareold wrote:

I actually requested the day off way in advance. I didn't want to vomit all over the place.
14.gif

----------------​

Did you vomit when you cashed your first AA paycheck?

At my station they played Kool & The Gang's "Celebration". Honest to God truth! That is what I was told by everyone that attended. They even had photographers taking pictures. I actually requested the day off way in advance. I didn't want to vomit all over the place.
14.gif

Just the thought of AA buying and then dismantling TWA, still turns my stomach!
14.gif
14.gif