AA

That's why I think this SWA move has absolutely nothing to do with the state of Missouri other than it's another chink in the WA. I think they will load up the route for awhile and then cut back at STL like they did before because the loads just won't justify the frequency.

Hell, I've been surprised that some of our DFW-STL flights haven't been eliminated. Except at holidays, almost none of the flights are ever totally full.

I think the main reason AA still has the number of flights between ORD an DFW that they currently run, is due to the clauses in the pilot contract agreements alloting so many Captain jobs in STL. Those pilots are paid a pretty penny and to just have them sit reserve all month because of the limited flight schedule out of STL would be a total waste of money. At least by running revenue flights from STL-ORD/DFW they can then flow the pilots there to work flights that are full.

Southwest is probably correct, but AA has painted itself into a corner (or multiple corners). Arpey has blustered on and on about how AA would be forced to move flights to DAL to compete if the WA were abolished.

Of course, AA also says that doing so would completely destroy the Metroplex economy (at least the 80% or so of that economy that depends on the activity at DFW).

Now, WN has been cleared to fly to Missouri from DAL. AA can't just sit on its hands (although it probably should), because it's been whining forever about how it would be FORCED to compete.

So now AA turns toward the cliff and guns the accelerator. "You're forcing us to do this," says AA.

It would be funny if it weren't gonna be so costly. Money-losing flights to MCI and STL. Oh, goody.

Does AA still own any F-100's, sitting in an AZ desert ??

NH/BB's

Fortunately, No.

But with two dozen MD-80s in the desert (with their somewhat noisy JT8Ds), AA could bring back Super-Duper Executive Class Service with 56-seat MD-80s with tons of legroom. Much better airplane than the F-100.

That would get the attention of the neighbors. B)

I thought AA still had 4 F-100s. Last time I looked in sabre they were there; unless AA has found someone that would take them. Even if they still have them they would not bring them back because it would be very inefficient (another fleet type with only 4 aircraft with associated parts and training).

I thought AA still had 4 F-100s. Last time I looked in sabre they were there; unless AA has found someone that would take them. Even if they still have them they would not bring them back because it would be very inefficient (another fleet type with only 4 aircraft with associated parts and training).

D'Oh!

You are correct - AA still owns four of them. Well, at least they managed to sell the other 70 copies.

I vote for the MD-80s; 24 of them in temp storage plus another seven that are retired (probably never to fly again).

D'Oh!

You are correct - AA still owns four of them. Well, at least they managed to sell the other 70 copies.

I vote for the MD-80s; 24 of them in temp storage plus another seven that are retired (probably never to fly again).
<_< The only problem with the 24 still in the desert is that I believe they are exTWA aircraft! I don't know if they have been retrofited to the aa configuration! Although we could take care of that fairly quickly!!!

<_< The only problem with the 24 still in the desert is that I believe they are exTWA aircraft! I don't know if they have been retrofited to the aa configuration! Although we could take care of that fairly quickly!!!

Why bother with the expense? Other than the galleys (which do take some getting used to because they are so different), I've not noticed a whole lot of difference with AA vs. TW S80s.

They took care of the SABRE seat map problem caused by the 4 AB seats behind the M/C galley on the TW S80s by renumbering those seats as if they were forward of the galley.

Wait! Wait! I forgot one little change that has to be made. They HAVE to have the expanded overhead bins installed before they come back to service. :lol:

Any idea where AA will get the aircraft to initiate DAL to MCI/STL service if not from DFW?

It appears that if AA can make this one chink in the WA seem terribly wrong they'll have a stronger case for avoiding a showdown for complete repeal in 2007. Sure it's not the whole enchilada, but this will be a very, very closely watched test case.
:unsure:

My guess is that AA will pull some frequencies out of DFW-MCI/STL and move them to DAL-MCI/STL. Doing that would also have the effect of demonstrating the hub pulldown that could happen if the WA is repealed.

As a business traveler who would you choose. RJ with no overhead, cramped and no booze, or a 737 with overhead, more leg room and booze. WN is know for it frequency between markets for the buiness traveler. Add to that the nickle and diming of change fees, use of sky cap etc and WN ability to have connecting and thru flights at Love, they won't have problems

I think your right that AA probably won't use the the 50 seaters to compete because of their CASM, but possibly the 70 seaters.

However, I think that AA should take the fight to DAL rather than just sitting back and waiting for it to happen. What I mean by this is move some of the DFW-STL/MCI frequencies to DAL using the aircraft off those routes and then add frequencies outside the WA area using 50 seaters or 70 seaters with a first class to bring the seat count down to 56. I think these frequencies should be added to some of the most important markets that WN will add if the WA is repealed. Doing this will at least give us a head start in getting and retaining passengers who prefer to fly from or into DAL. If the WA is repealed, we'd have to reconsider the aircraft type for each market.

Why bother with the expense? Other than the galleys (which do take some getting used to because they are so different), I've not noticed a whole lot of difference with AA vs. TW S80s.

They took care of the SABRE seat map problem caused by the 4 AB seats behind the M/C galley on the TW S80s by renumbering those seats as if they were forward of the galley.

Wait! Wait! I forgot one little change that has to be made. They HAVE to have the expanded overhead bins installed before they come back to service. :lol:
<_< Jim--- If your going go to the trouble of bringing them back out of the desert, they'll need work anyway! "C" checks etc. So you might as will do the job right, and take a little extra time to make sure they're totally compatable with the rest of the fleet! That way you can use them on any of aa's routes, not just DAL/MCI/STL!! Besides, there are differances in the cockpit also. But, we've done other MD80's now in the fleet, so it would not be anything new for us!!!!

I completely agree with you but after our executives have been crying their eyes out about the diasterous effects, they have left themselves no choice but to go back into Love Field and get our ass kicked all over the place and kill some of the DFW revenue.

I think you and corl 737 are probably on the right track. (he said: It appears that if AA can make this one chink in the WA seem terribly wrong they'll have a stronger case for avoiding a showdown for complete repeal in 2007.)
We are between a rock and a hard place.

If we go over and do well then the argument will be that the Wright Amendment should be repealed because competition is a good thing.

If we go over and get our butt's kicked the media will jump all over the story and start ringing the death knell for legacy carriers when it is "obvious that low cost carriers are so efficiently run and offer good prices for all".

In plain english: we're pretty much F'ed.

If it were a local political battle it may be more favorable for AA to do poorly. It's not. Congress will be weighing whether cheap airline fares will be better than bailing out the biggest bankruptcy filing in history.(AMR's) Decisions, decisions.....

I can't wait to see how the spin meisters at the top come out of this one. Times like this that I am kind of glad the snakes at the top are at the top of my company. It's when they turn that snake head in my direction that I don't particularly care for.