AA''s New Codeshare Partner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Connected1

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
Now that 50% of the Big 6 have announced the intention to codeshare with one another, how should AA react?

Just an observation but I thought that AA "one upped" everyone when they bought their codeshare partner(TWA). Now the rest of the industry is just trying to catch up and make everything even again. All of a sudden AA can't compete unless they get even more. It just seems that with the industry in its state of confussion that the various management teams are using that confussion (and fear) to try to grab all that they can from their union employees. Sit tight and don't let fear and confussion cloud your better judgement.

Well the only one left is AA out of the "big six". Where is the 50% coming from? U and UA with their code share, Delta, NW and Co with theirs. AA is alone. Maybe AL or AW. Should be interesting in any event. [:praise:]

AS & AA already have a relationship, and AS puts its code on some of AA's flights, and each airline's frequent flyers earn status and bonus miles flying the other carrier. There is also some lounge reciprocity. It would not be hard to increase the cooperation to what AS has with NW and for AA to put their code on AS routes.

I think Alaska Airlines would be an excellent codeshare partner. They have a very extensive west-coast network, in addition to a strong Mexican network, and four Eastern cities (NYC, Boston, Miami, Washington). They are in good shape, have a pretty modern fleet, and a very good reputation for good service.

Codesharing by the competition. Now Southwest announces it will cut it's highest one-way walk-up fare 25% from $399 to $299. This is aimed squarely at snagging business customers from the majors. AA quickly matched the fares where it competes with WN. So much for getting any pricing power. Looks like everyone is going to become Wal-Mart airlines in order to survive.

AA may end up being a part of it all in some off the wall manner anyway, since Delta and Aeromexico are code share partners, and AA has notified the mexican government of it's interest in acquiring some...or all...of Aeromexico (and/or Mexicana - both are for sale).

I think the potential for AA to sit this one out is probably pretty good.

I don't see DOT approving an alliance which represents 40 to 50% of the market share in the US, even with a Republican in the White House. And, if Deltanorthwental isn't approved, the chances of United Airways being approved goes down.

Personally, I see Deltanorthwental being a Trojan horse more than a serious business venture. Threaten to build something bigger than the existing UA/US merger, and maybe UA/US will go away for the second time...

In a worst case scenario, assuming for a moment that these two applications are approved, then there's more than enough precedent to allow AA/BA to codeshare on the North Atlantic, which all of the carriers involved in the two deals have vehemently opposed over market share concerns.

When AA gets its hands on Aero Mexico, or Mexicana. They will be moved from the SkyTeam or Star alliance, in to OneWorld.

AA had its butt blown out of Canada. I am quite sure they wont let it happen in Mexico as well.

----------------
On 8/23/2002 3:16:05 PM

Looks like everyone is going to become Wal-Mart airlines in order to survive.
----------------
AA is trying to become a "Target" airline. Not Wal-Mart.[;)]

I read in tomorrow's Aviation Daily (published on Friday night) that AA is in discussions with AirTran about a domestic codeshare deal! Instead of WalMart or Target, AA will become the 7-11 of the industry [:0]

----------------
On 8/25/2002 2:38:29 PM

I read in tomorrow's Aviation Daily (published on Friday night) that AA is in discussions with AirTran about a domestic codeshare deal! Instead of WalMart or Target, AA will become the 7-11 of the industry [:0]
----------------

Wow, that's a shocker, and there do seem to be some significant overlaps between AA and AirTran route maps... but on the other hand, anything goes in today's industry. This move would seem to be squarely aimed at Delta. Also, I do see complaints every now and then about AA's lack of service to 2nd tier cities in the Southeast... this would fill those gaps.

There is AirTran's checkered past to deal with...

I could see it. The DOT turned down AA/BA because they control 40% of the slots at ONE aiport, but they approve a domestic alliance with 40% of the US market share.

The headlines next week will be:
"Deltanorthwental Conditionally Approved; AA/BA Must Surrender LHR Slots"

Hey, I like Kohl's and Target. I hope that is the way things work out. Right now though it looks as though WN is the only one with a sound business model, and the hub and spoke is broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.