Aawards Ticket

wwtraveler99

Jan 31, 2003
www.usaviation.com
I am looking to book a trip using miles. The outbound portion doesn't work for me. Is it possible that more seats could open up? I want to travel LAX-SLU on May 13, 2005 after 11pm. My return would be May 21, 2005 anytime after 11am is good. I can book the return at around 2pm right now.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you

I haven't worked in Res for years, but seats usually do not open up unless someone cancels. They alot a certain number of M seats (awards)and once they book those they are gone. Occasionally a supervisor will open some up for someone, but ya gotta be like triple platinum executive Son of God type.
Sorry I can't help more, good luck.

wwtraveler99 said:
I am looking to book a trip using miles. The outbound portion doesn't work for me. Is it possible that more seats could open up? I want to travel LAX-SLU on May 13, 2005 after 11pm. My return would be May 21, 2005 anytime after 11am is good. I can book the return at around 2pm right now.

Thank you
[post="186441"][/post]​

Have you tried UVF? It is open for awards but you will have to leave earlier than 11:00 PM. Also if you go one day earlier you will find space to SLU. May 13 is a Friday and we don't have that many flights to SLU.

AAStew said:
I haven't worked in Res for years, but seats usually do not open up unless someone cancels. They alot a certain number of M seats (awards)and once they book those they are gone. Occasionally a supervisor will open some up for someone, but ya gotta be like triple platinum executive Son of God type.
Sorry I can't help more, good luck.
[post="186550"][/post]​

Several months ago, AA drastically altered the way it allocates award seats. AAStew accurately described the old way.

Under the new scheme, AA does not open up all the award inventory 331 days in advance, it slowly and periodically opens up award seats right up until departure.

This change was announced when AA changed the name of PlanAAhead awards (cheaper awards) to MileSAAver (still cheap, but tougher to plan on).

Of course, there are still the AAnytime Awards (rulebusters) but they require double the mileage, and that can make an award seat look kinda expensive.

The best advice I can offer is to keep checking. And keep checking.

Here is an Availability Tool that you can download (it is safe) that helps travelers find inventory in each bucket (for those without SABRE access):

http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~hartberg/ft/SabretoolSetup.htm

You didn't mention whether you are looking for first/business or economy awards. If you want to be upfront, you need availability in U or Z buckets. For economy, you need T availability. AFAIK, M isn't used for award seats anymore.

wwtraveler99 said:

Thank you
[post="186441"][/post]​

I don't usually tell people that they are being too picky, but you are being kinda picky.

AA.com shows at least 2 coach award seats available right now on May 13 at 9:40 pm to MIA, connecting to SLU at 10am.

Flexibility is the key to redeeming awards, no matter the season or destination. Restricting your acceptable departures to "after 11pm" from LAX is too restrictive, IMO.

It appears that the sticking point is a lack of availability on the 11:30pm flight to MIA. My advice? Figure out how to make the 9:40pm flight work for you. B)

Or keep waiting and hoping that the 11:30pm flight opens up.

FWAAA said:
I don't usually tell people that they are being too picky, but you are being kinda picky.

AA.com shows at least 2 coach award seats available right now on May 13 at 9:40 pm to MIA, connecting to SLU at 10am.

Flexibility is the key to redeeming awards, no matter the season or destination. Restricting your acceptable departures to "after 11pm" from LAX is too restrictive, IMO.

It appears that the sticking point is a lack of availability on the 11:30pm flight to MIA. My advice? Figure out how to make the 9:40pm flight work for you. B)

Or keep waiting and hoping that the 11:30pm flight opens up.
[post="186569"][/post]​

Yes, you are correct. I am being a bit picky. But I am getting married and leaving at 940p is just too early.

I thank everyone for thier feedback, it was helpful. I will wait it out a little longer and see what happens. If not I will just pay the fare and be on my way.

Thank you

wwtraveler99 said:
Yes, you are correct. I am being a bit picky. But I am getting married and leaving at 940p is just too early.

I thank everyone for thier feedback, it was helpful. I will wait it out a little longer and see what happens. If not I will just pay the fare and be on my way.

Thank you
[post="186576"][/post]​

Congratulations! May I ask why 21:40 is too early after a wedding? When I got married, I was asleep at that time. :)