JFK-LAS Round Trip Report

DrBeth

Senior
Feb 6, 2007
TRI
www.linkedin.com
I found a great deal for me and my boyfriend to travel to LAS from JFK last week. We were upgraded at my Platinum window both ways and had a pretty good trip. I would rate the trip, both legs on the A319, a B: an A for the ride/seat, B+ for the service, a B for the meals, but a D or F for the IFE. The audio and video did not work on the outbound and the video did not work on the return, but the audio did. The outbound safety video and the promo video worked, but nothing else. The flight attendants on the return had to do the safety demo live as even that video would not work. I was just wondering what gives with the IFE?
Beth

I found a great deal for me and my boyfriend to travel to LAS from JFK last week. We were upgraded at my Platinum window both ways and had a pretty good trip. I would rate the trip, both legs on the A319, a B: an A for the ride/seat, B+ for the service, a B for the meals, but a D or F for the IFE. The audio and video did not work on the outbound and the video did not work on the return, but the audio did. The outbound safety video and the promo video worked, but nothing else. The flight attendants on the return had to do the safety demo live as even that video would not work. I was just wondering what gives with the IFE?
Beth

You must have missed the "Insert Coins Here" slot in your arm rest. 25 cents for 10 minutes and it would have worked fine.

Remember next time to bring a pocketful of quarters. Flight attendants are not (yet) required to make change for the slots.

Ever since the sand people got rid of Rockwell Collins a video contractor this is the last thing on MX's list to fix. I know that a lot of west aircraft have broken IFE. Try flying to Hawaii without a movie!

Ever since the sand people got rid of Rockwell Collins a video contractor this is the last thing on MX's list to fix. I know that a lot of west aircraft have broken IFE. Try flying to Hawaii without a movie!

I think I will pass on the Hawaii trip without a movie, but thanks for explaining! If I do a transcon on west metal again, I will know in advance to stock up on my own IFE! :up:

Rockwell has backpedalled a bit from the IFE business, but they are still supporting their systems. There is no reason why the West IFE systems should not be maintained.

Really, we got rid of Rockwell Collins? No wonder why every time I go up to the flightdeck on a 76 there is always an FA telling MTC "The audio won't work, oh and by the way the monitor has the image cutting in and out"

:down:

Rockwell has backpedalled a bit from the IFE business, but they are still supporting their systems. There is no reason why the West IFE systems should not be maintained.

They absolutely are not being maintained and we, on the west, have been told that Rockwell no longer does the repairs. They haven't been around out here for months. MX does the repairs but as HP Jack said it is low on their list of priorities. My guess is we have more a/c with IFE problems than ones that don't.

They absolutely are not being maintained and we, on the west, have been told that Rockwell no longer does the repairs. They haven't been around out here for months. MX does the repairs but as HP Jack said it is low on their list of priorities. My guess is we have more a/c with IFE problems than ones that don't.

Admittedly, given the very dire situation all airlines find themselves in with fuel costs dissolving their cash hoardes, I doubt that functional IFEs or most anything else is a priority for many airlines. But . . . those IFEs on your planes did not suddenly turn dysfunctional. It's been a long, slow process of neglect and disregard for the customer which dates back to those "happy days" of 2006 to 2007 when US has dollars rolling into the vault. In other words, Tempe really did not give a damn to begin with.

So let's look at what US ( and other majors ) have to offer customers today.

• Higher airfares -- I completely understand this as it's part and parcel with entire oil/energy situation which is all about global demand/consumption. We're all being called out on the carpet & neither airlines or car-driving consumers have many options regarding this new reality. So yeah, you guys gotta charge more for the seat < and you still have no guarantee of surviving >.
  • Crowded planes -- Once again capacity reductions are necessary as as airlines try to tread water. So we pay more for the seat and we are shoe-horned into those crappy pitch seats everyone jams into already tight cabins. Like most carriers, US missed the boat in configuring their cabins to offer a hand full of better pitch coach seats to that strata of pax willing to up the ante a bit. No, it was more important to pursue that lcc model while touting US as a full service airline. I can deal with cabin reality, but not miserly short-sightedness ( though this is not wholly a US attribute).
  • Unbundling of services -- Actually a good idea to make those infrequent flyers or less loyal customers ( read that cheap seat fanatics ) pay their way since they're the ones who check additional bags and create the chaos in the TSA lines, check-in lines, and boarding queues. They do indeed add cost to the airlines. Likewise, so long as I can grab a can of soda, I'm happy. I can bring a sandwich on board or go with your BOB deal.
  • Trickier Connections -- capacity cuts mean less flights and less ability to quickly repair an itinerary when things go wrong either due to ops/weather/ATC. So your customers are in a worse position than previous years that were quite gnarly in their own right.
  • Rising tariffs -- just another part of the process as governments reach into our pockets and airlines too must dip. But remember, we pax become increasingly conscious of poor/shoddy/bad service when the taxman and airlines bite us. It would have been nice if Mr. Specter and his Congress friends had used some of these fees to modernize ATC. That mistake is going to bite us in the butt during these next several years.
  • Devaluation -- yeah, airlines are all devaluing their FF programs. Another fact of life in these slippery slope times. But do bear in mind that Tempe employs a lot of hubris and smoke and mirrors with your elites and the DM program. I can see the reality of the moment, but I also remember the lies and deceptions. I think it's fair to say that lots of your elites are making mental notes along the way as we all struggle with our flying during this difficult period.

The bottom line.

Airlines have been flying with the wrong businiess model for decades as pax expectations were frequently misguided ( low fares with full service). Then again, airline executes fed these beliefs by lining up like lemmings & raising capacity/routes and selling seats at a loss. With cheaper oil, even dysfunctional airlines still found a way to make money in a boom-bust fashion. But those days are gone and we're all going for a ride through a dark tunnel. I don't expect US to be any different from any other airline during this time.

BUT . . . I still expect service for my dollar. Those broken IFEs become a larger symbol of what Tempe is all about . . . inept in "good" times and incredulous during these difficult days. Thus far, we elites are just making it. We pay our higher fares because that's the way it is. But broken IFEs and the myriad of other BS that Tempe still serves is not how it has to be. All of you airlines have got to do more than assume that there's nothing you can do. You gotta stand behinid your product if you're gonna demand more of your customers. We'll put up with less capacity and the headaches it brings. But I've already had enough (avoidable) problems these past couple of years with US ( on several Envoy flights BTW ). And if you guys end up throwing your elites into pay-for-baggage, all of your small product deficiencies will loom larger and larger in our minds when we are hit with still more fees and receive not one iota of additional product/service for it.

My wife and I are waiting to see how bad things really get. It looks to me as if there may be minimal use for maintaininig an elite relationship with any airline ( or you simply purchase status as needed to fit your need that flying year). If I sense a slipping or shoddy product with US, then I think we might indeed become free lancers who pay as we go. If we're already screwed when we're in the air, then it really doesn't matter who screws you. Mind you, I say this not in terms of pointing a finger at US. We're simply increasingly aware of where necessary service cuts & price increases begin and end. Despite these bad times, we know what we should be receiving as a paying pax and our eyes are wide open for who is going to provide that service for the money paid. Time will tell if US or another carrier fits that bill.

Keep in mind that good service remains a valid pax expectation even in these dire times.

Barry

I heard that the privacy screens were removed in preparation for our new transatlantic snack - - ORBIT gum!! They're doing a cross promotion with ORBITZ and the airlines guaranteed to drum up some crazy revenue. That's what I heard, anyway. It also ties in with out uniform rollout.
See?
7wyp6z9.jpg

So let's look at what US ( and other majors ) have to offer customers today.

Airlines have been flying with the wrong businiess model for decades as pax expectations were frequently misguided ( low fares with full service). Then again, airline executes fed these beliefs by lining up like lemmings & raising capacity/routes and selling seats at a loss. With cheaper oil, even dysfunctional airlines still found a way to make money in a boom-bust fashion. But those days are gone and we're all going for a ride through a dark tunnel. I don't expect US to be any different from any other airline during this time.

Barry, I don't see the disaster that is US (ie: the commoditization and cheapening of the product) over at CO....

BUT . . . I still expect service for my dollar. Those broken IFEs become a larger symbol of what Tempe is all about . . . inept in "good" times and incredulous during these difficult days. Thus far, we elites are just making it. We pay our higher fares because that's the way it is. But broken IFEs and the myriad of other BS that Tempe still serves is not how it has to be. All of you airlines have got to do more than assume that there's nothing you can do. You gotta stand behinid your product if you're gonna demand more of your customers. We'll put up with less capacity and the headaches it brings. But I've already had enough (avoidable) problems these past couple of years with US ( on several Envoy flights BTW ).

US has not stood behind it's product since the deceit of the "Low Cost Carrier" lie sold to pax and Wall Street...along with a healthy does of the stupidity of "Business Casual." (aka "Business Crapual")

My wife and I are waiting to see how bad things really get. It looks to me as if there may be minimal use for maintaininig an elite relationship with any airline ( or you simply purchase status as needed to fit your need that flying year).

You should really move your flying to Continental Airlines....I'm close to 50,000 EQMs for 2008....which absolutely does not make me a big time, top tier traveler for them...but I'll easily be Platinum and probably drop from CP to Gold on US....and I can tell you with 110% clairity and certainty, "it is a better product, by a long, long ways."

A word of caution: For anyone depending on the free upgrade...CO can be a difficult option as they (get this, a novel concept) actually SELL their F product. I buy it all the time...and my wife travels with me...she's retired US (Original PI, formerly based in CLT) and she says CO reminds her of the old PI days.

But come on over....the grass really is greener....I promise....

You should really move your flying to Continental Airlines....I'm close to 50,000 EQMs for 2008....which absolutely does not make me a big time, top tier traveler for them...but I'll easily be Platinum and probably drop from CP to Gold on US....and I can tell you with 110% clairity and certainty, "it is a better product, by a long, long ways."

Van,

Believe me when I say that our eyes are wide open at the moment. These are really scary days in aviation for employees and pax alike.

Living some 20-25 minutes straight drive from PHL makes US our logical choice simply for the ease of in and out flying ( a few west coast flights and some Europe flights to plump up our miles flown). We're cozy with PHL for the pure convenience. But the current fuel-cost situation really has me worried about US simply because their cash position is lower than other majors. Then you gotta throw in Tempe's history of being lying jackels with customers. We're at the end of our rope in that regard & any more BS on the sh!t-o-meter will definitely put us into irrevocable motion.

Sadly, I could potentially see US heading towards the BK queue by year's end before I see them making the merger line. We're trying to hang in there with our near 600K FF miles each. 2008 is the year we're paring down travel & trying to (barely) make gold ( I'm former US1, my wife a US2). 2009 is the year we want burn miles and see what aviation is going to turn into and with whom we fly. It's gonna be tough business, but someone will fly and offer something. We're giving Tempe a shot only because of our proximity to PHL. But as I mention, with rising fuel costs and shrinking capacity across the board, I'm doubting the value of loyalty to any airline in the future. If they're gonna go ala carte, then maybe the game is gonna become pay & go as a cost of doing business & add that to the additional fare cost and the shoe-horn seats sans elite membership. We're already pondering BA ( UG coach ) to LHR next year and trying to work out our Spain timeshare trips. I'm tired of the talk about how much "improved" the TA product is -- our January 757 flight to LGW shows otherwise.

EWR & CO are actually our second option on the boards. I hate the idea of a 75 minute drive up the turnpike on a good day, but if I find that US offers only rising fares with the same shoddy service, then we'll do what we gotta do next year. Hopefully Tempe reads these boards because I'm not a stark raving mad customer . . . I'm a pax sick of the mediocrity and BS who must muddle on despite higher fares. I still expect service & will abandon PHL & US to find it even if I end up with more mediocrity. I gave Tempe a fair shot despite the dire times all airlines are in. I suspect many FFers who have stuck it out, feel the same.

Barry