Above & Beyond Winners

I don't see why the company just doesn't go back to how the program was before the merger; once you got 10 A&Bs you could redeem them for two positive space tickets anywhere we flew in Q class of service.

It was simple, fair and everyone had a shot at redeeming. Hell, it even got to the point to where people used them to barter with to get shifts covered - that's just how valuable they were perceived by the employees.

Surely a program like this doesn't cost as much as the million they give away each year... and it would reap more...

I certainly don't envy the job of a recruiter, but you took it on with open eyes.

The objective of an applicant is to get the job. If wearing the same suit, the same tie and the same haircut is what works, then the applicant will do just that. This begs the question: Whose actions and attitudes are the REASON that the same suit, the same tie and the same haircut are factors in getting the job? Certainly not the applicant's. It YOU who have built the process that guarantees only identical clones come through your door, identical resume in hand. If a pilot applicant came in with what would be considered a stylish business outfit in any other industry, my guess is that the snickers and guffaws would come quickly once the door shut behind him as he exited; the poor shlub would not have stood a chance if he attempted to distinguish himself from the crowd by displaying some personality in his wardrobe.

Please, don't look for sympathy here. The process is not in the hands of the applicants. You (not you personally, but your department) designed it, now live with it.

I wasn't a recruiter, I saw the numbers and knew about the industry and what longevity looked like. I helped them out, but I didn't do that for a living. As for the pilots, its a joke on the Airinc applicants, aka "pod people", trust me, when you see a few hundred pilot applicants coming your way and they all look like carbon copies, its pretty eerie. We liked pilots that showed a bit of originality. But they were all coached to the nth degree before we got them. And you haven't lived till you sit in on a flight attendant group interview, 20 people at once. I likened it to choosing a new puppy, you view a litter, a few dogs trample over others to be seen, a few dogs sit in the back and cower and try not to be seen, somewhere, in the middle is the dog you want.

I'm not sure your analogy of FA's to dogs is really what you were trying to say, correct?

I know the "I Love People and I Love to Travel" is so generic... but the last I remember you'd better be loving people as a Flight Attendant, especially these days!

I'm not sure your analogy of FA's to dogs is really what you were trying to say, correct?
LOL!

No, its about the group interview dynamic. I did some consulting for county government, and they were conducting group interviews, and the exact same thing happened. Human nature, one third are the boasters, one third are the shy and one third were "normal"

I did get a kick out of hearing "I want to work for American West/American Air West/Air West/Western/Air Western/American Air Western Airlines." If you are being interviewed, knowing the name of the company is always a plus. :lol:

To my knowledge the answer is no. But if you have them photocopied before you send them in you can have them added to your file. I like getting them just for that fact. The drawing is just cream.

I guess your chances increase by the number of A&B coupons that are turned in, and if you are the one who issues out the coupons......Go Figure..... :blink:

I personally sent in 15 the quarter before and got ZILCH in the drawing! Go figure! :huh:

When the original program was created for AWA folks it was intended for front line employees that have contact with the public. Gate agents, flight attendants, phone agents, etc. It left out folks who were not in contact with the public. This was intended because of the fact that people who had direct contact with the public had the ability to improve the public's perception of the airline. A yield analyst sitting in a cubbie, who would not even speak with airport personnel, was not intended to be covered, nor were supervisory/management employees who were subject to their own bonus plans.

The program, as originally designed, is broken. It has removed any incentive that employees in direct contact with the public have for their added public responsibilities.

To my knowledge the answer is no. But if you have them photocopied before you send them in you can have them added to your file. I like getting them just for that fact. The drawing is just cream.
A&B's do not go in our files! They should, but they do not.:(

THANKS!! Now can some of you see why we whiny, entitled, thankless easties just may have gotten the wrong idea of what the A&B was about?

hey, I'll send in one for you if you send in one for me....100x....another AWA program run amok, in the interest of being 'fair'...lol

Back