Ac Looking At Merged Us

hharotz

Advanced
Aug 7, 2004
Toronto Star, April 26, 2005

"A Wall Street source said yesterday that Air Canada may be in talks with both U.S. Airways and America West in a deal that may see Air Canada take on international traffic with the U.S. Airways-America West concern handling domestic U.S. traffic.

"Consolidation in the North American industry is inevitable," Milton said."

That's a very odd turn in that story.. about three paragraphs, nearly unrelated and with so many questions and issues left unaddressed.... almost like it were two separate articles.

If it doesn't concern Exxon, Enron or Haliburton- Bush doesn't care.

"World Air Holdings Acquires North American Airlines"

Looks like the new name is available though.

a320av8r said:
An airline may have 49% foreign ownership but only 24% of voting shares.
[post="265198"][/post]​
Wrong:

Specifically, Tilton said the government should repeal a 1938 federal law that bars foreign ownership of more than 25% of a U.S. airline.

USA Today Article

Bush Seeks More Foreign Ownership of U.S. Airline Stock

The Bush administration is asking Congress to raise from 25 percent to 49 percent the permissible level of foreign ownership of a U.S. airline's stock to give the airlines more access to foreign capital

Another Link

a320av8r said:
Looks like the new name is available though.
[post="265202"][/post]​

I read something that said they were going to still operate as 2 companies so no name available at least for now.
I still think National would fit, but I guess the US name is still good in Europe :shock: so they dont want to mess with that.

How about National International Airways?? :rolleyes:

AC was a major investor in Continental's successful emergence from bankruptcy in the 90s. If I recall correctly, CO/AC at the time instituted wide spread codesharing/ground handling/FF partnership agreements. They were later dropped in favor of (death)STAR partnerships.

I could see AC using the new US to feed its lucrative Asian routes through YYZ and YVR (similar to the AA/CP relationship of yesteryear). I could also see them pushing the limited AC Carribbean network further south from YYZ to PHL/CLT/FLL.

I also agree with Light Years...now that AC is dumping their 330s/340s in favor of Boeing, a merged US/HP could very well be a potential suitor for these aircraft...and they could most likely be had cheaper than those we have on order currently with Airbus.

....just an afterthough, why he hell are we not flying PHL-YVR already? This would be a definite winner interms of loads (cruises in the summer/skiers in the winter), higher yields than LAS/LAX, and sounds like a perfect fit for the 8F B757. Ooops, I forgot...we might actually make a little money on that one.