Afa Mec Update May 5, 2004

My theory.......they can ask for anything under the sun, but every union on the property has a signed contract until 2008. If what they are asking for is to far fetched, then walk away from the table and what happens, happens. I want to at least see it first.

Who knows......that may be exactly what the real plan is.

PITbull said:
There is so much abuse of labor on this property, no one on the outside could ever fathom this.
Your claim of labor abuse is utterly erroneous. Stop misleading the readers of this board.

I draw the line with this group when it comes to senority. There is not left even for that. Just ask the reserves. I'm sorry, but I have NO trust for this group.

Expect every F/A under 15 years to be gone unless they want to fly for MAA which may be gone. Come October we may gave at best 50 flights a day out of Pit.

I can just imagine (since I will be gone) what those Senior F/A's will do sitting on Reserve Time Balancing with 20-25 years. :blink:

KT -

What do you base this on? We still have a 279 minimum a/c clause in the ocntracts....I don't see that going away. The idea is to improve productivity and increase flying. The PIT crew base may be downsized to match the flight level here, but that time would have to go somewhere. So are you talking about the PIT crew base or the entire system and what are you basing your theory on?

Yep, Zeus is always on the boards, when things start getting tense. Where are you day to day when the real folks, the employees who really care, are sharing their concerns and ideas?????? NOWHERE!!! Thought so. :angry:

PineyBob said:
What if "THEY" Aren't Lying, Then What?
Bob,

Let me be very clear. I intend to vote "no" on any concessions. A majority of the my colleagues for whom I have contact with intend to do the same. We know it means the demise of the airline. We feel it is such a nasty place to work that no matter what happens the future for us and our families will be much brighter. I know you believe we should agree to more cuts and then go out and find other employment. You do not have to rehash your thoughts with me on that. I can assure you I fully understand what the future will bring as a result of my decision. It will bring a better life for my family and I will be a happier person.

Fly said:
Does anyone have any idea what "reduction in seniority means?? Do they get back the youthful appearance when they give back the seniority? WTF??? You can't take back seniority!!
I have no inside knowledge on this, but what it _should_ mean is that they'll offer an early retirement package. They'll take a charge against earnings but there is a an immediate positive cash benefit, even if people are replaced one for one. (Other threads have discussed the cash flow vs. earnings difference.) High seniority people retire/leave with enhanced benefits, spots opne up for younger, less senior folks.

FedEx got a major boost in earnings this quarter from such a program (though seniority wasn't an issue as it was focused on their staff functions).

Did anyone really expect anything different?

Seriously, who hasn't been screwed by U mgmt at one time?

The employees?
The stakeholders?
The residents of Pittsburgh and Philly and Dayton?

This latest episode is 100% typical. If it wasnt for the respect I have for the average employee of the airline, and the close relationships I have with a few of them, I would have been long gone quite awhile ago.

Zeus said:
Your claim of labor abuse is utterly erroneous. Stop misleading the readers of this board.
Zeus,

We are not working for "charity causes" or for your Stock. WE are here working to support our families and have a livable wage and hopefully a future.

How dare you sit there and say the employees don't suffer here, and dismiss the fact that the work force is sick and in some kind of couseling or medicated or both. How dare you imply that our reserves are not bad off not making their time an having NO seniority from which to gain time. We try to keep that out of the media. But go ahead, push us there.

MarkMyWords said:
KT -

What do you base this on? We still have a 279 minimum a/c clause in the ocntracts....I don't see that going away. The idea is to improve productivity and increase flying. The PIT crew base may be downsized to match the flight level here, but that time would have to go somewhere. So are you talking about the PIT crew base or the entire system and what are you basing your theory on?
According to what I have read and (heard) we will be increasing flying in BOS, LGA, DCA and more in PHL. This is going to downsize Pit, not system wide. Also, CLT will enhance it's Caribean flying. All I can tell, is that Pit is going to be majorly effected come October. The management wants to take more advantage of the North Eastern routes and capitolize on this, as they should in order to keep competivive. Every F/A who I have talked with lately (who even keeps up with things) is fully prepared for Pit to be pretty much history in the next year. Many are starting to make plans with their housing and resumes. There will be displacements in my opinion or the opportunity to fly for MAA, IF, they are still to be around. I anticipate alot of shuffling around before the end of the year.

We still have alot of Very Senior F/A's in Pit and it is going to be very interesting to see what transpires with them. We also have around 260 Reserves who average between 15-8 years with the company. These reserves have been hit the hardest and for the longest of their careers. I anticipate that these reserves along with the rest in the company are going to be the tell telling sign.

ktflyhome said:
Expect every F/A under 15 years to be gone unless they want to fly for MAA which may be gone. Come October we may gave at best 50 flights a day out of Pit.

I can just imagine (since I will be gone) what those Senior F/A's will do sitting on Reserve Time Balancing with 20-25 years. :blink:
kt,

Keep in mind that the 5 yr f/as lost their jobs over these concessions that were ratified (1700) and climbing and went to MAA in hopes of returning were you are. Everyone has it bad. One group is not worse off than the other. We have senior f/as being terminated and placed on DCP at a rapid rate right out the door. These concession are not just about reserves. Its about all f/as that have suffered.

We have 32 year reserves on ITD transatlantic in PIT. Seniority does not prevent one from experiencing reserve status.

Latest posts