Afa Mec Update May 5, 2004

pitguy said:
Let me be very clear. I intend to vote "no" on any concessions. A majority of the my colleagues for whom I have contact with intend to do the same. We know it means the demise of the airline. We feel it is such a nasty place to work that no matter what happens the future for us and our families will be much brighter.
If it is such a nasty place to work, why dont you work somewhere else?

Why 'F' everyone else at the airline by voting no out of spite? Do you hate it SO much that you are willing to take all of the "more compliant" employees down with you?

I am not trying to attack -- I am just really curious to your thought process here...

(edited)

SVQLBA said:
I have no inside knowledge on this, but what it _should_ mean is that they'll offer an early retirement package. They'll take a charge against earnings but there is a an immediate positive cash benefit, even if people are replaced one for one. (Other threads have discussed the cash flow vs. earnings difference.) High seniority people retire/leave with enhanced benefits, spots opne up for younger, less senior folks.

FedEx got a major boost in earnings this quarter from such a program (though seniority wasn't an issue as it was focused on their staff functions).
SQVBLA,

"Early out" is what it doesn't mean. Guaranteed.

Why don't you change the companies hostile philosophy?

P.S.- I intend to leave. I just want to save everyone else too in the process.

Please look at this in a real prospective. We the Mechanics chose not to participate in the concessions. We have no direct control over the company shutting down. That is not our decision. Also if the other groups want to give up to make up for the non-participation from the Mechanics well then that is their business or if the company figures they do not need said cuts from the Mechanics. We just know we are not giving. What anyone else does or does not do is up to them.

What makes U think that AA (much better situated financially) is going to suddenly let US jump into the Carribean with both feet?

This "increase Carribean" flying only works until AA starts to lose a buck. They can destroy US out of JFK and MIA without really sweating it should US try a run for more Carribean markets out of CLT.

Pitbull, 32 years ITD in Pit is their choice. They could easily hold a Block on Mainline. Reserves with 15 years and below have NO choice. I could hold Reserve in Pit on ITD, that is my choice, too. Being on ITD affords you more money at this time. I agree that we in many ways are in this together and I have said this and I will say it again, I do not fault those who opted for MAA. When you are new and naive to the company, anything can look good. When I was 3-4 years with this company I thought management was the tops and unions sucked. It is all in the expericence and perspective of which one is coming from.

Why do you think that the majority of F/A's who took this last VF were mostly reserves???

You got that right KT. I took a leave and may I say it has been really SWEET!
much thanks to dummies in Crystal City who had me working out of PA even though I had been baded in CLT the past 5 yrs. I must say the state of PA has been good too me. Unfortunatly for me I lose out on 3 additional months as I am to return in June. :angry:
oh well... the gravytrain comes to an end.... litterally!

Kt,

Again, I have to reitorate from winter proposal of 2002 where by 3,800 f/as didn't bother to vote. 40% of the f/a population was reserve. Now, can anyone say that all the reserves voted NO? Only PIT base voted the proposal down, but close to 800 didn't vote at all in PIT, inspite of 4 correspondences within 4 weeks stuffed in mailboxes from the PIT Local Pres. outlining the proposal and here postion of "Not until hell freezes over"...remember?

The f/as that are are presently at MAA were not on the property to vote on the winter restructuring. They had been INVOL furloughed Dec. 2 and Jan. 7. We all have choices to stay or go. WE have had many reserves that have transferred to PHL dometic for better trips and more flying. Your experience in PIT is mostly due to decrease in block hours. You would get more flying in PHL. However, I understand the inconvenience of transferring and the commute struggle. However, it is an option. Also, the co. enacted sick pay penalties and policies, so the block holders keep flying even when they are ill, otherwise there would be more flying for reserves, who in the past, got more flying from blockholders sick calls.

Yes, Pa. is one of the best states in the country to collect unemployement on. I too, collected on them after 9/11 with the first 6 month VF. All I can say is that with my unemployement and working under the table, I made much more then,
than I do now on this time balancing crap 2 years later. Only, thing is, it doesn't last forever. But I sure as hell felt better and had no stress.

Jbragg: If you are coming back on Reserve....get on that new Flica...Catcrew. It really helps. It is easy and cheaper than CompuServe.

What losing seniority means;

If you go from mainline to MAA you will not carry or accrue seniority.

If you return to mainline from MAA, your time at MAA will not be added to your mainline seniority.

Wait and see - it's coming.

And the best part? If you refuse a job at MAA, since MAA is a mainline division, you just kissed away severance, and perhaps, unemployment.

The worst is yet to come.

Tonight the Associated Press reported a spokesman for the pilots' union said the airline's plan is a solid one.

"We like what we see," said Jack Stephan, a spokesman for the US Airways unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, which had been very critical of the previous management team led by former President David Siegel, who resigned last month. "This may be the first time that US Airways is going to take part in something truly groundbreaking. It's going to be a change to the entire way we operate."

Stephan said the new plan dramatically increases the chances that the union will be willing to accept another round of wage concessions that the airline says it needs to avoid a second trip into bankruptcy.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Dio,

Unemployment, if challenged, can be argued that MAA is substandard wages and benefits compared to Mainline. Easily proven by taking in the contract of MAA and making the comparison.

PA unemployment is already aware of the potential argument if challenged by management. Don't forget, we are dealing with PA unemployment who is so aware of U mangement.

USA320Pilot said:
Tonight the Associated Press reported a spokesman for the pilots' union said the airline's plan is a solid one.

"We like what we see," said Jack Stephan, a spokesman for the US Airways unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, which had been very critical of the previous management team led by former President David Siegel, who resigned last month. "This may be the first time that US Airways is going to take part in something truly groundbreaking. It's going to be a change to the entire way we operate."

Stephan said the new plan dramatically increases the chances that the union will be willing to accept another round of wage concessions that the airline says it needs to avoid a second trip into bankruptcy.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot
Alpa is hysterically comical. "Ground breaking plan"?

It's Siegel's plan, dummies. :rolleyes: You got rid of Siegel and Cohen, and an additonal $7 million out the door for the month of April. Great on the "balance sheet". Good job, ALPA.

PineyBob said:
PITBull,
It is groundbreaking. They broke the ground, buried Siegel & Cohen. The sod over their graves is the new "Plan", plainly written with 7 million one dollar bills.
Bob,

The "real deal" is that these two execs are still major players and they still have their stock options that are exercisable in less than 7 months from now. <_<

USA320Pilot said:
There should be no surprise in any union that management wants America West labor costs and contract(s).

Regards,

USA320Pilot
And why is that, "pray tell"? Perhaps a slight merger in the works...