Afa Mec Update May 5, 2004

Why would that relate to a merger with AWA when we are now a part of Star Alliance. Maybe if TPG had gotten US instead of RSA. and no offense I would rather RSA than TPG any day... experience or not.

Personal observation here...

The most vocal opponents to any new contract concessions appear to be those from PIT. PIT is obviously going to be eliminated as a hub along with many of the jobs - and likely those that post on this board. Is it just a coincidence or perhaps this is a case of the two "blood" children (PHL & CLT) getting all the toys and the step-child (PIT) getting sent off to military school...so the stepchild is going to make as much noise and do whatever disruptive they can because their fate is already sealed?

I'm not going to take any sides here...both sides have their points and reasons for being bitter. However, you have to wonder why one side won't just cut their losses and move on or what the other side will do to get the new contracts (should they happen) passed. Perhaps an immediate shutdown and furlough of the majoirty of the PIT based employees in a time frame earlier then being released. Either way...good luck all.

dfw79 said:
The most vocal opponents to any new contract concessions appear to be those from PIT. PIT is obviously going to be eliminated as a hub along with many of the jobs - and likely those that post on this board. Is it just a coincidence or perhaps this is a case of the two "blood" children (PHL & CLT) getting all the toys and the step-child (PIT) getting sent off to military school...so the stepchild is going to make as much noise and do whatever disruptive they can because their fate is already sealed?.
I think your right. PIT is being phased out, despite the foolishness of it. PIT employees are more vocal just because they have more at stake.

On the other hand, Im not sure about a theory that PIT employees are less likely to to vote for conessions. The board and the vote are vastly different I suspect...

Throw this into your hypothesis guys....

PIT is a very senior base. All of them have the ability to transfer OUT of PIT and commute to another base. And guess what? Bumping starts.

Just FYI on the opponents thing... :ph34r:

Has anyone in our MEC done a comparison of the America West contract? I just pulled it up on their web site and at a quick glance it doesn't look that bad. I would like to see a comprehensive study done by our MEC before I hear that we aren't going to even talk about it!!!!

PSA1979 said:
Has anyone in our MEC done a comparison of the America West contract? I just pulled it up on their web site and at a quick glance it doesn't look that bad. I would like to see a comprehensive study done by our MEC before I hear that we aren't going to even talk about it!!!!
PSA,

Our MEC Benefits chair has done that. Also management is looking for a combo of JETBlue and AWA combined. AWA being a Hub and spoke carrier and JetBlue being more point to point, just as there will be an increase in point to point flying with increase in flights in BOS/DCA/LGA, and Hub flying in PHL and CLT.
PIT to be more of a focus city with much less hubing.

For the "plan", co. states labor needs to participate in that expectation. We have been defined to transform into an LCC.

The MEC met with management today, but again, no specifics on the expectation level. That will come next week.

PSA, don't worry, you will have every opportunity to have your voice heard. For sure!

Today US Airways ALPA spokesman Captain Jack Stephan told the Beaver County Times "We like what we see. We're encouraged by the fresh thinking that went into the making of this plan and also welcome the bold marketing strategy that's also embodied in the plan," he said.

Click here for complete story

Regards,

USA320Pilot