AFA Says Management should lead the way !

usfliboi

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Odd that glass would say that management wouldnt be extending concessions or taking further cuts.... Hmmm very strange in deed!

November 11, 2002

In This Issue:
MEC Special Update
United F/A''s Reach Tentative
MEC Update
On Nov. 5, 2002, the members of the AFA US Airways Master Executive Council met with representatives of management to get an update on the bankruptcy process and our airline''s current financial condition.
Management''s basic message was that the airline is not meeting revenue projections that were in its application to the Air Transportation Stabilization Board for a $1 billion loan guarantee. Management said that revenue shortfall could be problematic if the trend continues.
To make up the difference between its revenue projections and the shortfall, management suggested that it may come to the unions and ask for productivity improvements in labor contracts, but reiterated that it will not ask the bankruptcy court to make more cuts.
After hearing the financial update, MEC President Perry Hayes, sent CEO Dave Siegel a letter clearly stating that AFA and the flight attendants will NOT consider the new financial crisis to be serious until management takes further wage and benefit cuts, extends those cuts through the term of the ATSB loan process (like the flight attendant concessions are), and management concludes negotiations with the other labor groups on the property concerning productivity concessions.
In the meeting, Glass said that management would not be extending its concessions through the term of the ATSB loan guarantee, nor would they be taking more concessions. Thus, your MEC believes that management does not believe the additional cost savings are necessary.
We will continue to update you as new information comes to our attention.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Productivity cuts? AKA....MASSIVE JOB CUTS
Management won't take more concessions yet we are suppsoed too? Good God it's the same old crap from new people. And Jerry Glass is the same guy that 2 years ago was quoted in the paper saying F/A's are grossly overpaid. I am more than willing to listen and make some serious sacrifices but management had gotta be sincere as well.

I agree with the AFA's response. I feel extremely insulted they would ask for cuts when management has cut very little from themselves. It just makes you lose some trust and respect for them.

I agree...It's called Lead by Example.

IMHO...We still have too many chiefs...and barely enough Indians to function with.

The ranks in CCY are still too top heavy...and Middle Management is way too fat in perportion to the laboring ranks. It's time they start looking elsewhere for cuts!!!...or concessions.

Just another day in the comedy of errors....Its amazing how ones attitude changes after what this employee group has gone though.Mine for one is one of a slow decompression for the past 13yrs ! lol

When I'd first received this update, I had to read and re-read that quote, to make certain that I was indeed reading it properly.

How arrogant can he get?

Management should lead the way: Take pay cuts and concessions the same as they want from us.

Sorry, I've done my part. I'll continue to do MY job to the best of my ability. Managment needs to take serious look at itself before it comes to the employees again.

I do not believe that our pay is the problem. I understand we are in dire straits. But if our management can't manage better, why are they getting the Big Dollars?

Pay cuts for mgmt? Remember that these are very desirable, highly trained professionals that every other industry is drooling over. Heck, give em another bonus.

INVOL

As much as I don't like saying this because I have a high amount of respect for US Airways and its' employees, I think this is just one more reason to believe that US Airways faces an ever-steepening uphill climb to survive. And that doesn't bode well for my airline either. But the fact that US now must come up with another $250-400 million in cost cuts is very troublesome when you consider how difficult it was for them to get the original agreements. Your unions are going to face some hard choices soon. Liquidation/fragmentation and total shutdown are becoming more likely each day. I hope you folks can find the necessary solution and keep going. But from where I'm standing, it doesn't look good in my view. I hope I'm wrong.

US exceeded its goal of obtaining $1.3 billion in annual cuts, but now needs about a $300 million bottom line improvement to meet the 7 percent ATSB profit margin.

Siegel has said most of the $300 million will come from aircraft lessors, but the difference must be made up with quantifiable revenue improvements and/or other staekholder cuts.

ALPA has authorized the Negotiating Committee to begin negotiations to reach an acceptable 70-seat Freedom Air accord, which I expect will occur. This agreement will permit the company to project additional RJ revenues to the ATSB and limit further across-the-board employee concessions.

It has come to my attention that a woman who used to work for the PBGC and now works for AON Fiduciary counselors, opined last Friday that US would emerge from Chapter 11. She said greed is what usually causes a Chapter 11 failure and that, in US' case, fortunately, all the stakeholders were negotiating in good faith.

Regardless of what is publicly written, all US unions are working with the company to provide short-term relief to permit US to successfully emerge from bankruptcy.

Chip

Chip:

How many lessors are still holding out with relief? Last I heard it was only about 9 757's that were in question. Is this still the case since in the last omnibus hearing there were no motions to throw out aircraft lessees?
And like I said before, I am MORE THAN WILLING to even give a little more as long as it's in GOOD FAITH. I want to see this company survive. But for Jerry Glass and his gang of goons to sit there and propose we take even more cuts, but management should not? TOTALLY RUDE and a SLAP IN THE FACE. That man is the most brash, rude and arrogant excuse for a LABOR RELATIONS VP there is.

Itrade, Cutting the cord on the Ex-EAL 757's , Sounds Good!!...but the climate shows no signs of a Cord Cutting of old...turning into a new lease on anything.

I have the sick feeling that more 757's will join 615/616 in MHV....and 609AU that's a Glider now in CLT...will likely never see revenued service again.(IMHO) Rolls-Royce is playing hardball over the $6.8Mil we owe them. 609 was canabalized of it's engines , to get 604 ready for it's return from heavy check in CLT...604 is due out of the CLT Hangar at 2300 tonight.

If we were in a good position with RR?...this scenario would not be taking place at all. 609 is listed as being in Short-term storage until possibly early March of 2003.

Oh well....after the next two weeks are over...I won't have to be concerned with worrying about this mess...nor do I harbor in hope of ever returning to U.

Thanks for the ride/shaft IAM....I hope the higher senority person , that has never done my job before , can handle it? Good Luck Kids....your gonna need it!!
8.gif']

So the union memo was false? The company is in negotiations with afa as we speak. I dont understand why afa would go to the trouble of saying what they said then.....

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE]----------------[BR]On 11/12/2002 4:09:36 PM USAirBoyA330 wrote:
[P]Chip:[BR][BR]How many lessors are still holding out with relief?  Last I heard it was only about 9 757's that were in question. Is this still the case since in the last omnibus hearing there were no motions to throw out aircraft lessees?[BR]And like I said before, I am MORE THAN WILLING to even give a little more as long as it's in GOOD FAITH.  I want to see this company survive.  But for Jerry Glass and his gang of goons to sit there and propose we take even more cuts, but management should not?  TOTALLY RUDE and a SLAP IN THE FACE. That man is the most brash, rude and arrogant excuse for a LABOR RELATIONS VP there is.[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]Well, if you want possibilities, please note that 10 of the 757s were ex-Eastern birds that are leased from GE Capital. If these are the 10 and GE is playing hardball, I'd say cut the cord on the 10 and go out and acquire 10 parked 757s from National - probably at lower lease rates.