Air Midwest Leaving Florida

But Light, that "racket" is what lulls me to sleep on the deadhead....

Seriously, it is quieter than that old DC-3 freighter I spent so much time on.

Jim

Light Years said:
The company could easilty place the new CRJ interior in the Dashes and soundproof them. Most of the noise you hear as a passenger and just loose fittings in the cabin vibrating.
[post="198287"][/post]​

That and those giant props outside... Seat doesn't recline, no window shades just a 200 knot buzz box...

Light Years said:
Actually I do understand it. That's why we still have some silly service out of PIT, but not the big stuff. It's pretty much up to the carriers themselves if they want to keep operating it.

I don't think it's quite as FREE as you say though, I understood it to be a split risk type of thing, but perhaps you're right. There are some routes that have service from a wholly owned, and then a contractor on the same day. If it were completely free feed, I would think U would have done anway with any sort of owned prop long ago.

US won't make money on intra-Florida unless they are serious about it. They need to have a consistent product and record, reasonable aircraft, and the rght fares and frequencies.
[post="198121"][/post]​

I can only tell you how it was when I was at CCair. We paid for everything. It cost us $15 to get a window wash in CLT. We ran and paid for all our out stations and we paid PDT for all services we used in CLT. We paid for the planes, crews, fuel, landing fees, ect. I think the only cost to U was Res. U took half the revenue from each flight. Its a total win for U in the smaller citys. That's why you still see J41 and 1900s flying for U. THey don't care, it's a great deal for them. If the city started to make to much money, U would just take it and move it to PDT so they could get all the profit. Again, use the contract props to build up a market at almost no risk and if it works take the flying and move it to a WO. Sounds like a good business plan to me.

The fact is if the FLA market was so profitable PDT wouldn't have left to come to CLT and fly to LYH or HTS. Give me a break. I you look at U you know that load factors mean nothing in terms of porfit. 80% load factor means nothing. Hell, U had a 76% load factor last Q and lost 250 million. U will lose revenue (all be it a small amount) with AirMidwest pulling out for FLA and this flying probably will not be replaced. Just the way I see it. -Cape

In my experience, the loudest part of a regional aircraft flight is the engine noise on a RJ when boarding the thing (I guess it's the APU, not the actual engine). It's deafening!

On a turboprop, the engines are off. It's nice and quiet boarding the plane, and the only time it's noticeably loud is during and shortly after take-off. Big deal!

RJ's are seriously over-rated IMHO.

Light Years said:
The company could easilty place the new CRJ interior in the Dashes and soundproof them. Most of the noise you hear as a passenger and just loose fittings in the cabin vibrating.
[post="198287"][/post]​

You are very correct. Once in cruise with the props only turning 900 rpm, the most annoying sounds in the Dash are interior pieces vibrating against each other.

PDT did (does) have the "Q" for quiet(er) 200 series which used extensive sound deadening techniques and active noise cancellation systems in the cabin. When everything was maintained and tweaked just as it should be, the 200 was pretty quiet in cruise. But, the company didn't quite keep them up as they should have and pretty soon, the noise cancellation systems were deactivated and the -200 are as noisey as the 100's.
Noise is relative. In a tight fitted -300 in row 12 or 13 in cruise, the ride is relatively quiet. I have spent many hours over the years must riding in the last row of the F100 and DC-9 when we had them and there is no way those rows were quieter than the DASH.

Obviously, a modern turbofan is quieter than a turboprop. But what I find interesting, and entirely predictable, is that when I have to DHD on an RJ, I am now hearing all the same complaints about the RJ's that we heard about turboprops over the years. People still find them cramped "puddle jumpers" and complain about size. Which is Ironic because the DHC8 has a bigger cabin width and height than either the CRJ or ERJ.

God forbid, get some of the new Q400's, and the pax would not even notice the props. These new generation turboprops would kick a$$ with their fuel savings over the RJs, especially at the price of fuel today. Might even be profitable, as some of our European neighbors have realized!

Nevermind, this is thinking way too far out of the box for our leadership.

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?