Airbus Enhances Payload/Range Capability For The A330-200

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Airbus Enhances Payload/Range Capability For The A330-200

Sun, 10 May '09

Airbus is upgrading the A330-200's payload/range capabilities with a whopping 5 metric ton increase in maximum takeoff weight. This update was achieved 'without changing the aircraft's acoustic category or runway loading - meaning the improved A330-200 will be able to use existing runways and airport take-off slots without penalty.'

Airbus says that newly-delivered A330-200s will have the option of an extra 3.4 tons of payload or an additional 330 nautical miles of range beginning in August 2010, while a retrofit package for post-February 2004 aircraft will be available starting in November 2010. Surprisingly, the retrofit of an in-service aircraft should only take a few days for airlines to complete.

Airbus expects that the increased range and payload will make A330-200s more productive, and also provide the opportunity to open up new markets. Boosting the jetliner's payload represents significant potential revenue increases on routes flown today, while the extra range will allow carriers to expand their networks. With its additional reach of 330 nautical miles, the A330-200 can help open up routes such as South America to northwest Europe, and China to the west coast of the United States - along with many others.

To date, more than 550 A330-200s have been sold, with over 340 currently in service with carriers around the globe. The A330-200 series are being built at a production rate of 8.5 aircraft per month.

FMI: www.airbus.com

With its additional reach of 330 nautical miles, the A330-200 can help open up routes such as ... China to the west coast of the United States

But still pushing the limit to do PHL-PVG, which is 800nm further than LAX-PVG (great circle distance).

Jim

Honestly, how many more destinations can 330nm of range provide that aren't already within the current limits? I think most customers would opt for the added payload than range, but that's just my guess....

You must really be testy tonight - two posts and didn't miss a chance to take a swipe at me. Must of had a bad day and no dog to kick.

Maybe you've been flying across the pond too long if you need to pull out a chart to know about the military airspace off the east coast and it's effect on routing going to the Caribbean (and beyond) from CLT. On the other hand, maybe you've got charts that show routings and restricted airspace in Asia that you can pull out but I don't.

Jim

PHL-PEK(Beijing) is 5,979nm...well within the 330-200's max range of 6800nm

PHL-PVG(Shanghai)6,452nm.could be close depending on the winds/flight load and time of year

PHL-PEK(Beijing) is 5,979nm...well within the 330-200's max range of 6800nm

PHL-PVG(Shanghai)6,452nm.could be close depending on the winds/flight load and time of year
Come on guys, this issue is truly on a gnat.

Does that range include "85%" headwinds? Does that include ICAO alternate and reserve?

I have heard that "tempe" reads this and I would not want to give the still-wet-behind the ear crowd that makes decisions there any more fantasies than they already waste time with, mental masturbation amongst the "executives" seemingly a refined art-form there.

You mean you saved your charts after retirement?
Saved is kinda the wrong word - it implies some planning. I haven't gotten around to throwing them away yet (though I did give my last FO some of the charts to replace his worn ones), along with the binders, kit bag, headset, etc. One of the joys of retirement is why do today what can be done tomorrow while leaving today for fun....so my kit bag and contents are sitting in the basement where I put it when I got home from my last trip.

Jim

....so my kit bag and contents are sitting in the basement where I put it when I got home from my last trip.
You could always have left your bag on the employee parking lot bus. I heard one dude's bag rode around for six months (PHL - where else?) before anyone noticed. :up:

Enjoy life.