Can Someone Clarify This?

This is getting confusing and I wonder if that filing is completely accurate because it still shows 15 A318s on the books. I know this was the original HP order, but I thought they decided against the 318 in favor of more 319s and 320s. I know I read this somewhere.

Also, it has yet to be clarified whether any NEW BUILD A340s will be substituted in place of some of the 332s. The A330/340 option has been long standing, since the Wolf/Gangwal administration.

I think you are correct. I believe Eastern would occasionally operate the L1011 on the shuttle when loads were extremely heavy (i.e. during holidays.)

I know you are right about that. My friend who was an ex Eastern FA speaks fonldy of the L10-11, but she says they called it Late 10 out of 11 times. LOL

From usairways.com:

In mid 1977, Eastern moved two wide-body Lockheed L-1011Tri-Star aircraft from the mainline operation to the Air Shuttle market. A problem quickly developed as the boarding process was taking longer than the flight, plus it was impossible to achieve the quick turnaround needed to make the wide body work. (PSA in California found this out a few years earlier.) By late summer, the L-1011s were pulled from the Air Shuttle operation, as the operation reverted back to DC-9 series 30 aircraft. The final Lockheed Electra operating as an extra section occurred on October 30, 1977. The Lockheed Electra had faithfully flown Eastern routes for 18 years. The Eastern Air Shuttle controlled the majority of the New York LaGuardia to Washington National and Boston Logan air traffic.

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/about...tory/trump.aspx

I think you are correct. I believe Eastern would occasionally operate the L1011 on the shuttle when loads were extremely heavy (i.e. during holidays.)

You're correct L10s did operate on the Shuttle. But always to Boston. Usually on the Wednesday before and the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

They also used the A300 on the shuttle too, seen them many times when I worked at LGA.

OK....back to the topic of A330-200s.

What do you predict will be the first markets to see A330-200 service? This can be either new cities, 767-200 service upgraded to A330-200, or A330-300 service downgraded to A330-200.

My predictions:

1. PHL-ATH upgraded to A330-200 to accomodate the strong demand the route showed, a full load of passengers westbound, and start to carry valuable cargo

2. PHL-Moscow (not going to speculate on which Moscow airport). This has been rumored for awhile now and seems like a good route as I think that US-Moscow is currently underserved with Aeroflot serving JFK, LAX, and IAD and Delta serving ATL and JFK....no CO, AA, UA, etc.)

3. PHL-MUC upgraded to A330-200. Connectivity with LH. Seems to have good loads...upgraded to A330-300 for Octoberfest. No CO. No AA. No NW. DL only to ATL. UA to IAD and ORD. LH to BOS, CLT, ORD, DEN, LAX, JFK, SFO, IAD.....seems like it could support an upgrade.

4. PHL-IST . Been rumored for a little bit. TK is joining Star Alliance so it would add connectivity to the gulf region and other places. Only served by DL to JFK and TK to ORD and JFK. Underserved.

5. PHL-TLV. I would have put this higher on the list but it is slowly starting to become a crowded route. CO flies 2 flights/day to EWR. DL flies to ATL and is adding JFK. El Al to LAX, MIA, JFK, EWR.

6. PHX-FRA. Might be further down the line but I think that this will definitely be added sooner or later.

What do you predict will be the first markets to see A330-200 service? This can be either new cities, 767-200 service upgraded to A330-200, or A330-300 service downgraded to A330-200.

My predictions:

5. PHL-TLV. I would have put this higher on the list but it is slowly starting to become a crowded route. CO flies 2 flights/day to EWR. DL flies to ATL and is adding JFK. El Al to LAX, MIA, JFK, EWR.....
I agree with everything except TLV, which I put at #2. There is really no way to determine how many Philadelphia region (PA,DE,NJ) tourists and businesss travelers currently use CO's EWR-TLV service who would switch to PHL - but I'd bet it's substantial. US's only real competition for PHL-TLV would likely be EL Al out of NYC because of ethnic alliances. I feel TLV is a major must have for US and Parker has been frustrated giving it to CO because of incapable aircraft.

My predictions:

1. PHL-ATH upgraded to A330-200 to accomodate the strong demand the route showed, a full load of passengers westbound, and start to carry valuable cargo

2. PHL-Moscow (not going to speculate on which Moscow airport). This has been rumored for awhile now and seems like a good route as I think that US-Moscow is currently underserved with Aeroflot serving JFK, LAX, and IAD and Delta serving ATL and JFK....no CO, AA, UA, etc.)

3. PHL-MUC upgraded to A330-200. Connectivity with LH. Seems to have good loads...upgraded to A330-300 for Octoberfest. No CO. No AA. No NW. DL only to ATL. UA to IAD and ORD. LH to BOS, CLT, ORD, DEN, LAX, JFK, SFO, IAD.....seems like it could support an upgrade.

4. PHL-IST . Been rumored for a little bit. TK is joining Star Alliance so it would add connectivity to the gulf region and other places. Only served by DL to JFK and TK to ORD and JFK. Underserved.

5. PHL-TLV. I would have put this higher on the list but it is slowly starting to become a crowded route. CO flies 2 flights/day to EWR. DL flies to ATL and is adding JFK. El Al to LAX, MIA, JFK, EWR.

6. PHX-FRA. Might be further down the line but I think that this will definitely be added sooner or later.
I too agree with all of your predictions except: There is a big gate shortage in PHL right now and the politicians don't seem to want any more gates going to US. With the exception of PHL-MUC and PHL-ATH, we need more gates to do more TA flying and that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Yes we are getting them to start PHX-FRA and PHX-LHR.

KIDDING! But, that is the latest rumor out of PHX.

I think this might be more than just a rumour. My friend had a corp. exec. on board recently who seemed to confirm this statement.
My understanding was that it might be LHR/LGW and NRT though, but no confirmation of Tokyo by anyone substantial.
That might explain addt'l 332's.

Ciao.