Aircraft Incident

T

The Goose

I saw some photos last pm where one of our S80's powered up and attempted to push a tug with the towbar, evidently after a pushback. The rumor is the pilot left the aircraft (with passengers aboard) afterwards. I'm told the motor(s) reached almost 100% power in the ramp area, according the the a/c's tattletale.

This supposedly happened in LAS (McCarran)

The tug's 1" plate construction naturally tore hell out of the forward wheelwell and forward fuselage sheetmetal (as the tug was pushed), broke the steering link, and made a beautiful 90 degree (almost) left hand bend in the towbar, all this, no doubt, roaching out the three panels that mount the NLG in the wheelwell (L, R, and draglink) and God-knows-what-else in the structure.

This was a low-time TWA aircraft (19k hrs or so) that had been brought up to snuff recently, I'm told.

Considering the damage and AMR's determination to get rid of the 80s now that there's an excuse, it's doubtful there's a repair in the airplane's future, rather, a one-way ticket to the Coors Light beer can factory would be more believeable.

WTF?? Did anyone hear anything about this? Sure is quiet.

I saw some photos last pm where one of our S80's powered up and attempted to push a tug with the towbar, evidently after a pushback. The rumor is the pilot left the aircraft (with passengers aboard) afterwards. I'm told the motor(s) reached almost 100% power in the ramp area, according the the a/c's tattletale.

The tug's 1" plate construction naturally tore hell out of the forward wheelwell and forward fuselage sheetmetal (as the tug was pushed), broke the steering link, and made a beautiful 90 degree (almost) left hand bend in the towbar, all this, no doubt, roaching out the three panels that mount the NLG in the wheelwell (L, R, and draglink).

that is a true story. There were pictures floating around tul

There was a mention of this incident on Flyertalk or some other websites, but I couldn't find any media links or pictures to confirm it.

I know nothing regarding it, but I'd be extremely suspect of the 100% number. To get that would take a substantial thrust lever movement resulting in "WTF?" from the FO. There would also be a loud takeoff warning sounding, bad form, even a open taxiway. Not sure what it would take thrustwise to get damage, anything is possible.

It wouldn't surprise me if we damage tugs or hurt ramp crews. The is a near total lack of standarization in the US regarding ramp procedures that IMHO will get rampers hurt. I can only point to the rampers in nearly all "3rd world" countries south of the border. When we receive a salute down there, they attest to the aircraft being able to taxi clear of any people or vehicles along with displaying the nose gear pin. In the states, it seems to mean many things, mostly that the pushback is done, and that the one giving the salute is just going to hop a ride on the tug located under the aircraft nose and within wing striking distance.

The tug's 1" plate construction naturally tore hell out of the forward wheelwell and forward fuselage sheetmetal (as the tug was pushed), broke the steering link, and made a beautiful 90 degree (almost) left hand bend in the towbar, all this, no doubt, roaching out the three panels that mount the NLG in the wheelwell (L, R, and draglink) and God-knows-what-else in the structure.

This was a low-time TWA aircraft (19k hrs or so) that had been brought up to snuff recently, I'm told.

Considering the damage and AMR's determination to get rid of the 80s now that there's an excuse, it's doubtful there's a repair in the airplane's future, rather, a one-way ticket to the Coors Light beer can factory would be more believeable.

I found out and got pictures about this last week. You're right, it sure has been hush hush.

<_< ----- Send it to MCIE, they can fix it!!!!---- Oh! I forgot! They layed everyone off there!!!! :shock:
It would be rather difficult to complete the 767-200 CIPs and then do the 767 winglet installations along with the MAUI avionics upgrades if there were no one left in MCIE. This super 80 will more than likely be scrapped and parted out.

It would be rather difficult to complete the 767-200 CIPs and then do the 767 winglet installations along with the MAUI avionics upgrades if there were no one left in MCIE. This super 80 will more than likely be scrapped and parted out.
<_< ------ Well aa! I'm glade you got your A&P tickets, and are now qualified to make such a judgment!!!! Well done! Did I ever tell you that at one time I worked for United Airlines, ramp service, on the West Coast ? Well I did! Took me all of a year before I decided it wasn't for me, and let Uncle Sam pay for my A&P tickets under the G.I. Bill!! ------- Always wondered how things would have turned out had I taken that United job offered me after I finished school? Oh well, if I had, I guess we wouldn't be having so much fun playing, now would we? :lol:

If it's a leased aircraft, it can't be written off quite so easily. If the owners make the call to ask for repairs, AA's on the hook to repair the damage.

I remember seeing N215 in the ORD hangar right after a nosegear collapse in 1989 or so. After it left the runway and bit the dirt, the a/c hit a concrete manhole structure head on.

Tore up everything from just below the cockpit floor to where the forward stairs would have been.

They sent in a structural team from TUL, who worked on her for a couple weeks to prep it for ferry to TUL, and she was back in service within a month or so.

LAX, and if you saw the pictures you would know what I'm talking about. ;)
<_< ------ LAX, well, at least you have the hanger space to do the job! What ever happened to TWA's old hanger. Let me guess! Returned to the City? Respectable size if I remember correctly! AA's wasn't too shabby either!------- Sounds like a good field trip to me!------ Or AA might try to get it to Long Beach and outsource the work to Boeing! :shock: That maybe the reason for all the secrecy!----- No! They wouldn't do a thing like that!!!? :blink:

Boeing doesn't have the room at LGB anymore, MCI...

The C-17 assembly line off Wardlow is still active last I checked, but they've torn out most of the former Douglas Lakewood Ave. facility.....

Latest posts