Senior
Mar 13, 2005
Cyberspace
Visit site
Airline chairman visits Charlotte during kiosk problems

12:27 PM EST on Tuesday, March 6, 2007

By WCNC Staff

E-mail Us: [email protected]

US Airways Chairman and CEO, Doug Parker, paid a surprise visit to Charlotte Tuesday.

Some passengers may have seen Parker behind the counter. But he wasn’t helping customers; he was listening to employees and the issues they have been dealing with in the past three days.

“He was here to provide moral support to employees and to listen to them with what they have been encountering and help them out with solutions,â€￾ said Michelle Mohr, US Airways spokesperson.

Lines were down considerably from Tuesday from previous days, but at midday the check-in kiosks were still only working at a 30 percent success rate. Tuesday, seven technicians worked with customers to help them use the new system. In the cases where the check-in was unsuccessful, the techs would log the problem. US Airways say this technique was beneficial because they were using real life scenarios to troubleshoot.

The problems started Sunday when the airline migrated to a new reservation system. Since then, thousand of customers, primarily on the East Coast, have been affected by long lines and flight delays. Late Sunday night, 20 US Airways employees flew into Charlotte to help out with the problems. Many of those employees are senior managers who worked behind the counter checking in customers.

“We wish we could say we knew exactly when the problems would be resolved but that is impossible because the problems are quite complex. We have been working on this 24/7 and we are making progress every day. We are hoping to get this resolved with in the next couple of days,â€￾ said Mohr.

US Airways has extended its offer to waive any re-ticketing and change fees until midnight Tuesday night if you are flying out of Charlotte. The airline said they will consider extended that longer if problems continue.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/storie...s.252054b6.html

Nice PR, but did he bring along some IT guys? I mean something more substantial than this:

Posted on Tue, Mar. 06, 2007

US Airways hopes new software fixes glitches

After another day of delays, check-in problems still plague airline

STEVE HARRISON AND CHRISTOPHER D. KIRKPATRICK

[email protected]

[email protected]

US Airways is planning to install new software in its faulty check-in kiosks, hoping the program repairs glitches that have plagued travelers for two days in Charlotte and other cities.

Florida-based Kinetics, which develops kiosks and the software to run them, had its software installed in kiosks that were part of the old America West network. Those machines successfully made the reservations switch early Sunday morning.

US Airways is now installing that software in more than 300 IBM-made kiosks that are in the old US Airways network, which includes Charlotte/Douglas International Airport.

Those kiosks failed.

Charlotte hasn't yet received the new software, airline spokesman Phil Gee said Monday.

The airline isn't sure if the new software will fix its problems. It's also hesitant to say when the kiosks will be working again.

Charlotte's kiosks were turned on briefly Monday afternoon, but they were turned off again when they didn't work.

"(The IT staff) can't put their fingers on when things are going to get back to normal," Gee said.

The breakdown occurred as the airline made a critical step in the merger of the old US Airways and America West -- merging the two reservations systems. After the airline made a switch to a single reservations system early Sunday morning, kiosks in the old US Airways network couldn't communicate with the airline's main reservations computer.

The airline was understaffed for potential problems in Charlotte on Sunday, and ticket agents were overwhelmed. Many passengers waited in line for 21/2 hours, and some said they waited for more than four hours.

To shorten lines, US Airways increased staffing Monday and checked in some passengers manually by reviewing paper manifests of flights.

Lines at the airport were shorter Monday, with passengers waiting for an average of 45 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the afternoon.

What has frustrated the airline is that kiosks would work for a time, then break down.

Representatives from Electronic Data Systems, the maker of the new reservations system software, called Shares, declined to comment on efforts to restore the kiosks.

US Airways ticket agent Pam Richey, vice president of the Communications Workers of America Local 3641, said agents were concerned about the reservations switchover before this weekend. But she said no one was overly worried about whether the kiosks would work.

Earlier this year, ticket agents trained on dummy software that replicated the Shares system, even though they were still using Sabre, the reservations system in the old US Airways kiosks.

Richey said that training was cut short because it was causing delays.

"In my opinion -- and I work in the field -- it's like they were pushing the cutover, but all the pieces weren't there," Richey said.

Until Sunday, Charlotte had been known as a mostly trouble-free part of the US Airways system. Most of the airline's logistical problems are in Philadelphia, its second-largest hub after Charlotte.

Janice Garris, president of CWA Local 3641, said Charlotte has been hurt by staff cutbacks. She said agents working gates are often alone, when they would have had a partner in the past.

"We have vacancies at the counter and at the gate," Garris said. "We're short all of the time. And when there is a meltdown, we don't have the personnel."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/165/story/41348.html

Posted on Tue, Mar. 06, 2007

US Airways hopes new software fixes glitches

Until Sunday, Charlotte had been known as a mostly trouble-free part of the US Airways system. Most of the airline's logistical problems are in Philadelphia, its second-largest hub after Charlotte.

Geez, Now the Charlotte Paper is taking a jab at Philly!

Parker should have been at CLT on sunday, not 2 days later.

Where the hell has he been?

Oh need I ask.

Lines were down considerably from Tuesday from previous days, but at midday the check-in kiosks were still only working at a 30 percent success rate.

I don't understand. If it's a software problem, shouldn't the kiosks either work (100%) or fail (0%)? How does a software problem fail 70% of the time?

I don't understand. If it's a software problem, shouldn't the kiosks either work (100%) or fail (0%)? How does a software problem fail 70% of the time?
Several others could give a better technical answer, but I think it might have something to do with the variables of each transaction. If you used exactly the same inputs to act on the exact same information in the res database, your statement about either 100% or 0% would be accurate.

However, every passenger has differences in their input data and differences in their res record. Some of those variables could cause failure while others do not.

Jim

Software bugs do occur 100% of the time when you can duplicate the exact precise details. I don't know much about airplane data, but, for instance, what if it fails when a connection is a certain amount of minutes apart but not other minutes.

I've been wondering the exact same thing. Makes no sense to me.

What really blows me away is the volume of passengers a kiosk must process! Kiosks (multiple numbers of them) were not that common a few years back...amazing how technology has a way of changing our lives ever so slowly, but yet so quickly.

Latest posts