Airline Lobbying

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/1/2003 8:44:53 AM RV4 wrote:

Good Luck Bob,

Call the TWU International in New York, ask for publications and request copies of the "proceedings" of the 1989, 1993, 1997, and the 2001 TWU Constitutional Proceedings and copies of the President's Report.

Somehow get copies for ALL members to read. Instead of spending money on politicians, maybe you can get them to spend some money on informing the members of that which you and I already know about the Conventions. The members have to be notified and believe there is a problem before anyone ask them to fix it. How many really know the truth?

I cannot figure out how to activate members on matters which they have no knowledge of.

As for any leaders I elected. I was banned from voting or running because of a T-shirt I wore to work. Therefore, I elected nobody.
----------------
[/blockquote]

If we mailed everyone copies how many do you suppose would actually read it? That would be more of a waste than trying to buy politicians. A motion to request that an accountable, accurate voting system where the members could review how thier delegates voted is not all that complicated or cumbersome. Its easy for the members to understand without having to go through the trouble of reading hundreds of pages of convention proceedings. If members want to read them all they need to do is request them. When we recieved copies of the 97 convention we provided copies to those who asked for them. We have not recieved the 2001 minutes yet. The fact is that, for better or worse, the members elect leaders to go through all this stuff and find a resolution to the problems. Transparancy is essential but the problem is that there is a lack of interest to the point that many do not even bother to look. While many leaders do get put in place having the best of intentions and lofty goals they all too often do get bogged down by Bull**** that are local issues that must be addressed. This prevents them from networking with other like minded locals to build a strategy for reform. There is also the problem that none of us are really pretrained for these positions and have to learn as we go. In conventional politics the party system provides support for green politicians. Often what happens in unions is that the local officers become dependant upon the International. Members often elect people and have unrealistic expectations, their demands often send them right into the arms of the International. Once that happens the chances for reform are minimal. Democracy is not a perfect system, the problem of apathy will always be there however apathy is often fueled by the fact that members/voters are not having thier issues addressed. Transparancy and accountability allow members to see what is going on and hold those responsible accountable. If we had an accountable voting system in place at the next convention then even those local leaders who had to turn to the International for assistance would find that they are still accountable to the members in how they cast thier votes. As it is now members take little interest in the Convention because they are so far removed from it and they have no way of holding anyone accountable. Without a means of accountabilty, why bother? There is nothing you can do about it. Gaining accountabilty from the delegates is the first step towards gaining accountabilty from the International.

On a related note, the Convention should be held somewhere in the Artic Circle so that there are no distractions from the business of the Convention. Las Vegas is a place that is full of distractions. It also does nothing to improve the image of unions when they hold thier Conventions in a city that was built on gambling, crime and prostitution.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/1/2003 8:53:19 AM RV4 wrote:

Bob Owens Quote:

"You wouldn't know him"

Stanley Aronowitz was born in 1933 and grew up in the Bronx, New York City. He attended Brooklyn College until he was suspended for leading a sit-in in the Dean’s office to protest the suppression of the radical student newspaper. After leaving school he became a steelworker and then a union organizer for the Amalgamated Clothing Workers (now UNITE) and the Oil, Chemical and Atomic Workers.

Aronowitz received his B.A. from the New School in 1968 and became associate director of the anti-poverty organization Mobilization for Youth, where he was also a community organizer. In the early `70s he founded Park East High School in East Harlem, the first post-war experimental public high school in New York City, and taught community studies at the College of Staten Island. He has since taught at the University of California Irvine, the Center for Worker Education at City College of the City University of New York, and CUNY Graduate Center, where he is currently Distinguished Professor of Sociology and Urban Education.

Aronowitz was a New Left activist during the `60s. He was the chief New York organizer for the Independent Committee to End the War in Vietnam, an editor of the influential journal Studies on the Left, and taught at the radical Free University of New York. He is presently an elected officer of the CUNY faculty and staff union, the Professional Staff Congress.

In 1973 Aronowitz published his first book, the acclaimed False Promises: The Shaping of American Working-Class Consciousness. He has written 15 books in all. The most recent are The Last Good Job in America, essays on culture and politics; The Knowledge Factory, a critique of the corporatization of higher education; and From the Ashes of the Old, an analysis of the state of the labor movement. His book on class in America, Class Rules, will be published in 2003. He has also written about science and technology, philosophy and culture.

Aronowitz lives in Manhattan. He is married to the writer Ellen Willis, with whom he has a teenage daughter. He also has four older children.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this guy wrote some books and made some money. What did that fix Bob?

You and him and I have something in common, lots of words and debate that equal failed results.

Stay Tuned for More
----------------
[/blockquote]

Well a lot of words and debate once resulted in a peice of paper that led to many great other events. That paper, what some might call "a bunch of words" was the Declaration of Independance. Discourse and debate are the most potent weapons in the defence of Democracy.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/1/2003 9:59:08 AM Buck wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/1/2003 9:53:12 AM Bob Owens wrote:

Did I get mine? No, I'm still not making what I should be and the shortfall of the last 16 years will never be recouped.
----------------
[/blockquote]
The shortfall created by the structure of the TWU that allowed for the B-scale and further concessions which have been controlled by the Fleet Service majority.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Structure, composition or both? Did the Fleet Service majority help pass the 95 contract or was it Tulsa?

Both Bob.

You know that exactly. I have agreed with you on the members of Local 514 passing contracts on the "I got mine brother" concept. Fleet Service is the System majority. If they wanted to defeat a contract vote they have the power. Local 514 does not have this alone. You act as if no line mechanics especially those under your watchful eye voted for the 95 contract or even the 83.

[blockquote]----------------On 2/1/2003 9:44:57 AM Bob Owens wrote: [blockquote]
----------------
On 2/1/2003 8:53:19 AM RV4 wrote:

Bob Owens Quote:

"You wouldn't know him"

Stanley Aronowitz was born in 1933 and grew up in the Bronx, New York City. He attended Brooklyn College until he was suspended for leading a sit-in in the Dean’s office to protest the suppression of the radical student newspaper. After leaving school he became a steelworker and then a union organizer for the Amalgamated Clothing Workers (now UNITE) and the Oil, Chemical and Atomic Workers.

Aronowitz received his B.A. from the New School in 1968 and became associate director of the anti-poverty organization Mobilization for Youth, where he was also a community organizer. In the early `70s he founded Park East High School in East Harlem, the first post-war experimental public high school in New York City, and taught community studies at the College of Staten Island. He has since taught at the University of California Irvine, the Center for Worker Education at City College of the City University of New York, and CUNY Graduate Center, where he is currently Distinguished Professor of Sociology and Urban Education.

Aronowitz was a New Left activist during the `60s. He was the chief New York organizer for the Independent Committee to End the War in Vietnam, an editor of the influential journal Studies on the Left, and taught at the radical Free University of New York. He is presently an elected officer of the CUNY faculty and staff union, the Professional Staff Congress.

In 1973 Aronowitz published his first book, the acclaimed False Promises: The Shaping of American Working-Class Consciousness. He has written 15 books in all. The most recent are The Last Good Job in America, essays on culture and politics; The Knowledge Factory, a critique of the corporatization of higher education; and From the Ashes of the Old, an analysis of the state of the labor movement. His book on class in America, Class Rules, will be published in 2003. He has also written about science and technology, philosophy and culture.

Aronowitz lives in Manhattan. He is married to the writer Ellen Willis, with whom he has a teenage daughter. He also has four older children.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this guy wrote some books and made some money. What did that fix Bob?

You and him and I have something in common, lots of words and debate that equal failed results.

Stay Tuned for More
----------------
[/blockquote]

Well a lot of words and debate once resulted in a peice of paper that led to many great other events. That paper, what some might call "a bunch of words" was the Declaration of Independance. Discourse and debate are the most potent weapons in the defence of Democracy. ----------------[/blockquote]

You have to have honest elections, and also the faith and perception that the elections are honest. sorry that this post is rather long, I hope I don't run afoul of the DMCA.

[

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/3/2003 9:25:13 AM Buck wrote:

Both Bob.

You know that exactly. I have agreed with you on the members of Local 514 passing contracts on the "I got mine brother" concept. Fleet Service is the System majority. If they wanted to defeat a contract vote they have the power. Local 514 does not have this alone. You act as if no line mechanics especially those under your watchful eye voted for the 95 contract or even the 83.
----------------
[/blockquote]

How much does FS outnumber Maint systemwide?

From an eirlier post that I guess that you missed: "As for the old timers, yea, they got thiers. I remember one old timer saying "six years aint that long guys, I voted yes" as he put in his retirement papers. Needless to say pockets were deep and arms were short when it came to a collection for him. I never said that the lines were pure either. "

Latest posts