Airline's (pit) Departure May Ripple Outward

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Airline's departure may ripple outward

Don't expect other airlines to fill the (Pittsburgh) void

PITTSBURGH (Tribune-Review) - Pittsburgh businesses could lose fast and easy access to crucial U.S. and European cities if US Airways decides to shut down its hub at Pittsburgh International Airport.

See Story

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

In my opinion, the Commonwealth and the ACAA did not react fast enough to changing industry times to find ways to lower Pittsburgh International Airport’s significant and cumbersome debt. There is nothing wrong with the facility, but the area needs about 3 million more residents, which would permit US Airways to make profits.

I believe the ACAA may have missed the boat because it now appears Pittsburgh will become a focus city with many of its assets moved westward and to Philadelphia, when the merger is consummated in the not-so-distant future. The corporate combination is coming, it will happen, and off and on-site facilities will likely be closed to create merger economies of scale.

What's interesting is that I understand the surviving business entity is yet to be determined.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
In my opinion, the Commonwealth and the ACAA did not react fast enough to changing industry times to find ways to lower Pittsburgh International Airport’s significant and cumbersome debt. There is nothing wrong with the facility, but the area needs about 3 million more residents, which would permit US Airways to make profits.

I believe the ACAA may have missed the boat because it now appears Pittsburgh will become a focus city with many of its assets moved westward and to Philadelphia, when the merger is consummated in the not-so-distant future. The corporate combination is coming, it will happen, and off and on-site facilities will likely be closed to create merger economies of scale.

What's interesting is that I understand the surviving business entity is yet to be determined.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
USA320Pilot,

I agree, and the name of the game now is for US Airways to remain a viable competitor to participate in future events.

USA320Pilot said:
I when the merger is consummated in the not-so-distant future. The corporate combination is coming, it will happen, and off and on-site facilities will likely be closed to create merger economies of scale.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
your uct will have to be listed in the UAL plan of reorginization before emerging,cap'n.so we'll see whether or not its coming in march.

ktflyhome said:
Will someone please answer my question? What merger to be "consumated in the not-so-distant future"???? Thanks! : <_<
ktflyhome: I think he's referring to a US & United merger at some point down the road. :p

I think 320 is dreaming of flying some of the "Big Iron" that United has. Dream On.................................... :lol:

Hi Bob,

Hope you're doing well during the "blizzard of '04".

You've asked the question that I've asked for some time - why would anyone want to merge (buy, whatever) U. I think any "corporate transaction" will be the vultures picking over the bones of a defunct US Air. And probably in the not too distant future. But hey, that's just my 2 cnets worth.

Jim

PineyBob said:
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but how the F@&K can an airline in BK with a pension liability that would drown some 3rd world countries buy or merge with a hot dog cart much less US Airways?

Can someone please explain to me how exactly that will work? Why would be good too!
BOB...you're like a visionary.you got it.but if they have some type of scam in the works, for ATSB loan guarantee approval...its going to have to be listed because if it isn't they are deviating from their plan of recovery,wouldn't you think?

Who in the world is USA320Pilot that has such so called insight and knowledge about our future. He keeps posting as IF he knows everything and where we are going. He also sounds a bit pompous. Is he management??? :huh:

USA320PILOT

We all know something is going on behind the doors at CCY.Dave Bonner wants to get his investment return one way or another.If a merger with UAL will accomplish his goal we will be sold.I see it this way, we need our costs to be lowered to make us more attractive.Also a merger would take some time to complete, we couldn't lose a million dollars a day during that time until the airlines were merged.

The simple answer to what airline would survive is UAL.Their labor agreements have a lower cost than do ours.For example look at their recent farm out of heavy maintenance.Their contract as aplied to U would eliminate 1500 to 2000 mechanics alone.With a cost figure of roughly $100k per mechanic with bennefits you can see the attraction here.

Just my thoughts....

Good Luck To Us All ;)

USA320Pilot said:
It'll be United, since buying U's assets as they are liquidated does not constitute a "merger." PIT will be a UA focus city, a focus city for either B6 or LUV, airfares will go down, and the life will be good.

In the event of a "merger," all the same will hold true, but the commute to LGA will be a ####.

I believe most people know my identity and the reason I changed my user name. In addition, before the change of the year I said the UCT/ICT discussions had changed to a KLM-AF type of corporate combination or a merger. Why? Because the UCT/ICT concept does not dramatically lower unit costs, but a merger creates significant economies of scale.

Some of the points mentioned in the topic are accurate and some are not.

Regardless, there will be a merger, but before it can occur, more costs need to be taken out of US Airways and its pending partner before the ATSB and potential investors will provide the required funding.

Separately, it's uncertain who will be the surviving business entity because of restructuring uncertainties, equity investor sentiment, and in my opinion, maybe senior management egos/desires.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot