(us Air) Pilots May Aid Airline's Survival Plan

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Pilots may aid airline's survival plan

Monday's ALPA meeting focus will be management's tentative plan to add 60 Airbus jets to US Airways mainline fleet

PITTSBURGH (Tribune-Review) - Leaders of US Airways pilots' union plan to meet here Monday and Tuesday to review the company's rocky status and decide if they should sit down with management to hear their airline rejuvenation strategy, said the union's chairman Friday.

Complete Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

XJTGuy said:
this company is sinking fast!!
no chance!!! :down:
XJTGuy,

It is about time that my labor union, as well as the rest on the property, get real and move ahead with what needs to happen. US Airways must be competitive, or it will be history in short order. It is simply a no-brainer. Nay Sayers say what you wish, this will happen, and the majority of rational thinkers and realistic folks know in their hearts what must be done.

If you work here, why don't you just leave. Let the people who want to fight have at it.

Useyourhead,

We gave back twice and Dave said that was all he needed.

They have lied to us and stolen from us, I don't trust this management and there is no need to talk to dishonest people.

$1.1 Billion from employees, 20,000 jobs, and another $1 Billion from vendors.

If the company goes out of business so be it, but it won't be labors fault.

UseYourHead said:
Nay Sayers say what you wish, this will happen, and the majority of rational thinkers and realistic folks know in their hearts what must be done.
You are a very intelligent person. You understand the situation that the company faces and what must be done to survive. Unlike some posters that should get their resume ready for Timco Aviation Service, you are willing to do everything needed to keep their job.

Most of my fellow co-workers are willing to do everything needed to survive and fight for their jobs. The IAM has lets us all down and sold its smaller stations down the river. I work on the first shift and people are getting frustrated with the IAM. They are tired of the continued fighting with management.

We must stop fighting each other and fight the competitors. As I have stated numerous times, I do not like the idea of outsourcing the Airbus but if it means saving the company then I support this action.

The Nay Sayers on this board are in the minority. :down:

"We must stop fighting each other and fight the competitors. As I have stated numerous times, I do not like the idea of outsourcing the Airbus but if it means saving the company then I support this action."

I work the furloughed shift. How do you think I feel about outsourcing?

I/O,

Speak for yourself, the IAM had the testicles to stop this management team from STEALING our work and jobs.

The majority of the employees do not trust Dave, he has lied, why sit down and talk with a liar and someone who cant even honor legal binding contracts, much less his word?

700UW said:
I/O,

Speak for yourself, the IAM had the testicles to stop this management team from STEALING our work and jobs.

The majority of the employees do not trust Dave, he has lied, why sit down and talk with a liar and someone who cant even honor legal binding contracts, much less his word?
Let us not forget the iam ignored our first vote.
Cowered before Dave. Called us confused.
Allowed a revote.
Then another to exit bk.

So at what point did they grow some?
Expect them to cave just like before.

Industry Observer wrote:
Most of my fellow co-workers are willing to do everything needed to survive and fight for their jobs. The IAM has lets us all down and sold its smaller stations down the river. I work on the first shift and people are getting frustrated with the IAM. They are tired of the continued fighting with management.

If you feel that way then, here's what you should do. Get as many people together as you can and decertify the IAM. Become an Employee at Will like we were before. That way there won't be any pressure regarding what you should or shouldn't do. You won't vote on anything. Dave won't take what he needs,he'll take what he wants and my guess is you won't be left with a whole lot. I'd be very interested to know what you think the IAM should have done.
BTW,before you post that I'm just another disgruntled union member,you should know that I spent 24 years in CLE until US Airways closed the station. I was displaced and now commute between DFW and CLE. I voted for both of those concession packages,so I know a little bit about what has happened in the smaller stations.

Folks, please pardon my intrusion on your board.

This business of 60 A320's just does not sound right. About a 21.5% increase in fleet size in a two year period. (Not counting the EMBs.) Airbus can not provide that number of aircraft to U in that time frame.

For the sake of you folks at U, I sure hope that these 60 birds are not birds that Bronner/RSA is taking a beating on. I hope they are not parked in the desert. I hope that he does not have U pick up the leases at rates that may be more than their fair market value.

Good luck to all at U.

No way any of the A320s would be new, in my opinion. There are at least 60 A319s/A320s parked around the world. The big concern should be finding used ones that have the same engine type as the ones US currently has. Plus, let's remember the fleet count used to be over 400, so US will still not be anywhere near where it once was even with the 60 aircraft.

My guess is leasing companies are more than willing to lease aircraft at "reasonable" rates to just about anyone. Some revenue is better than none, even if US ends up returning them again at a later date.

The increased dependence on Airbus alone scares me to death. I base this purely on U's lack of parts procurement...and Airbus Industries lack of willingness to maintain proper levels of spares from within.

I will not delve into particulars on this subject.....yet the Fleet MEL count has sky-rocketed recently because of the combination of both of the above issues.