All of this new Saturday-only service. Good in theory but.....

Mark, I'm not complaining, but I think the Bos & Lga service on Saturdays is too late. I just think there are other routes we could look at other then Bos & Lga - Las.

----------------
On 8/6/2003 7:05:42 AM MarkMyWords wrote:

Personally, I applaude all the new service. To me it shows some "outisde of the box" thinking.
I know express is doing RJ's from DCA and LGA to MYR on Saturdays. Why not look for more opportunities like that?

----------------
The point of "outside of the box" thinking is not simply to do something new simply to do something new. It only works if the plan is thoroughly thought through (how's that for a tongue-twister?). By simply trying to slap flight numbers on stagnant a/c, U doesn't show me that they have done due diligence...and it wouldn't be the first time. All at-least-semi-complex carriers have flight reductions on Saturdays but don't fly all of those a/c elsewhere simply in an effort to reduce CASMs. If you reduce CASMs and don't fill flights, then the RASM will go down just as much. AND...as I mentioned before...other carriers will put out loss leader fares during U's n/s time slots which will guarantee that even with a full flight...U's RASM will most likely drop.

As far as LGA/DCA to MYR. That is an entirely different story. The entire trip is an hour and that route is for golfers who can take a day trip due to the timing of the flights. That is a market where sat-only flying is not a bad option. There are few like it, though, and long haul aren't typically good markets to fly sat-only.

...just another 2 cents of mine.

Personally, I applaude all the new service. To me it shows some "outisde of the box" thinking. Why not giv it a try and see what happens? Worst case scenario, if it doesn't work, you find another place for the plane. I would love to see some additional non-hub flying on Saturdays. Perhaps they could even get the express carriers to offer weekend non-stops from places like CMH, MDT, ABE, RDU, etc to Florida. I know express is doing RJ's from DCA and LGA to MYR on Saturdays. Why not look for more opportunities like that?

Saturday nonstops from most anywhere in the NE to FLL/MIA would be good for cruise travel, and could probably command a somewhat higher fare than the connecting flights, but they won't do that either it appears..

I believe that when MDA and PSA spool up with RJ's you will see a lot of point to point with these aircraft, particularly to warm weather destinations. Additionally, it may open up service to markets like RNO and PDX.