All Smiles In San Diego: Psa Colors Will Fly Again

singh4us

Senior
Mar 13, 2005
Cyberspace
Visit site
All smiles in San Diego: PSA colors will fly againhttp://www.signonsandiego.com/news/business/20050928-9999-1b28psa.html

By Michael Kinsman
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
September 28, 2005

PSA returned to San Diego yesterday, and its smile was contagious.

As part of its merger with America West – which was completed yesterday – US Airways plans to salute its four predecessor airlines by flying planes in each of their original color schemes.

It showed off the plane in the colors of Pacific Southwest Airlines, complete with the smile painted around the cockpit, in a full-page advertisement in yesterday's San Diego Union-Tribune.

"It was impossible to suppress a big smile when I saw that," said Tim Smith, former director of marketing for PSA who left the San Diego-based airline when it was acquired by US Airways in 1988.

"It was nostalgia, as if PSA had risen from the ashes."

View attachment 3397

I think they should add the smile to all of the aircraft painted in the new livery. It is contemporary enough that it would fit in. The old PSA has "California colors" but
the smile would go a long way to send the message it is a new US Airways to the public.

TheNewLowFare said:
I think they should put a smile on all the aircrafts.
[post="307112"][/post]​

Good idea. Only problem would be getting the smile not to run across the radome and fuselage. I was at the town hall when Doug Parker had strongly professed that a new paint scheme was not likely due to costs. Some employees (mostly mechanics) questioned that rationale sighting the current dark paint scheme won't work well in hot climates. They also mentioned that replacing radomes created extra work to match or line up the colors to the fuselage and that a "clean" nose would make things easier. The rest is history. The new paint scheme has no color differences between radome and the fuselage and that advantage could be lost if a smile was put across the nose. Maybe the smile could be modified somewhat to cross only the radome or just the fuselage. The PSA smile sure does broadcast a postive message to our customers. Ya know now that I've taken a closer look, it doesn't look like the smile crosses the radome at all.

EricLv2Fish said:
I was at the town hall when Doug Parker had strongly professed that a new paint scheme was not likely due to costs. Some employees (mostly mechanics) questioned that rationale sighting the current dark paint scheme won't work well in hot climates.
[post="307206"][/post]​

I also saw something that said when they realized how many US-East planes needed painting it changed the cost equation.....

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
I also saw something that said when they realized how many US-East planes needed painting it changed the cost equation.....

Jim
[post="307218"][/post]​

I'm sure that enter the equation too Jim. Point is the employees got Doug to reconsider his stand. I really like the smile...it's very catchy and it's an impression not easily forgotten. Could be a really good marketing tool from that stand point.

Southwest really wanted to buy the copyright to the plane smilies. I say put them on all the planes...maybe US Airways could be known as the "Happy LCC".

Do you think people would get it on the new scheme if the radome was white? Atleast the tip of the radome was black on the PSA planes to highlight the nose of the face. I think that is what sells the idea that it's a smiling face. Without that wouldn't it just look like a awkward curved line that doesn't go with the rest of the scheme?

CLT-Douglas said:
Do you think people would get it on the new scheme if the radome was white? Atleast the tip of the radome was black on the PSA planes to highlight the nose of the face. I think that is what sells the idea that it's a smiling face. Without that wouldn't it just look like a awkward curved line that doesn't go with the rest of the scheme?
[post="307229"][/post]​

Tip of the radome being black would be okay cause it wouldn't run over onto the fuselage. I agree the tip of the radome should also be black to make it look like a nose.

EricLv2Fish said:
Point is the employees got Doug to reconsider his stand.
[post="307221"][/post]​

Point absolutely taken and agreed with.

It's nice to see consideration given to the heritage the various employees bring, too. Sure beats previous mergers where every trace of the "other" airlines in the merger was eradicated.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
Point absolutely taken and agreed with.

It's nice to see consideration given to the heritage the various employees bring, too. Sure beats previous mergers where every trace of the "other" airlines in the merger was eradicated.

Jim
[post="307231"][/post]​

Jim, do you think that maybe a boost in morale was partially responsible for Zero Mainline Cancellations?

Can't have hurt. A little luck on the mechanical end, some good weather, boost morale - it all goes into the mix.....

Jim