All Smiles In San Diego: Psa Colors Will Fly Again

Me either, Bob, but it's my understanding they were to California what Southwest was to Texas before deregulation - an intrastate carrier only. Try this for a little history until someone with more firsthand info comes along:

PSA History

Jim

Does anyone know how many planes are going to be painted with the smile?

Are they only painting one PSA heritage plane?

BoeingBoy said:
Me either, Bob, but it's my understanding they were to California what Southwest was to Texas before deregulation - an intrastate carrier only. Try this for a little history until someone with more firsthand info comes along:

PSA History

Jim
[post="307251"][/post]​

I never flew the original PSA either, but I did a lot of transcon travel in the early 90s shortly after the merger. The attitude of the people who are ex-PSA always gave me a taste of what it was like. I could tell a difference when I was on the Cali Shuttle as opposed to the east coast.

I hope those folks who are still around from those days will have a smile as wide as on that plane when they get a chance to see it. Almost makes one wonder what US would be like if PSA had taken over US instead of the other way around? (Yes, it begs the question what would US be like now if PI had done the takeover too.)

TheNewLowFare said:
Does anyone know how many planes are going to be painted with the smile?

Are they only painting one PSA heritage plane?
[post="307272"][/post]​

Can't remember where I seen it in print, but DP is really liking the heritage paint schemes and hinted that more than just one aircraft would be painted in each scheme.

Too bad more planes weren't "vandalized" (( as some at CCY called it)) like this..

mjsmile.jpg

absmile1.jpg

Also I was in Charlotte the other day and i *swear* that I saw a B767-200 with the smile on it... I even showed it to the FA and she said she knows a few people who'd appreciate seeing that...

Photos from http://www.psa-history.org ... one of the best memorabilia sites I've seen!

PSA was an all time great airline. We just had so much fun. It was the 60'S great music . The entire culture was changing San Diego surf and sand Wonderful Memories. Look for me on the PSA cover Dec 1972.........

" Poor Sailors Airline "....Pacfic Southwest Airlines

All Herb did was whiteout ..Pacific from the manuals that they gave him.

Read the book.....................USAirways just never got it.

psa_airlines_2.jpg

Don't think we will see any L1011's going LAX-SFO ever again.

But, for a while, it was cool.

BTW, if you want to hear a great 70's disco PSA advert, click here: PSA Jingle

Or for the "Catch our Smile" jingle, click here:
Catch our Smile

I asked the merger management team today if there are any plans to put more smiles on more airplanes. Should get an answer soon. The last question I asked took about 2 weeks, but they did get back to me. That smile just sticks one's mind and could be a really good marketing tool.

PineyBob said:
I never flew PSA can anyone relate the inflight experience?
[post="307248"][/post]​

PineyBob,

The PSA inflight service was very simple. Coffee, tea, boullion, Coke and Sprite. Of course, cocktails, beer and wine were offered.

Assigned seats came about around 1979. PSA was advertized as "No Frills, Low Fares, High Frequency." Flights between LAX and SFO every hour.

We didn't serve food until the last few years and even that was very simple. Muffins with a piece of fruit in the mornings, a small sandwich in the evenings. Most of our flights were an hour or so in duration so more food wasn't really necessary nor did our customers seem to want it.

All seats were coach, no pillows, blankets or magazines.

We would see the same people often enough to know their names and what they liked to drink. A big part of the PSA experience was the friendly, laid back interactions with the customers. What we lacked in amenities we made up for in personality. We really had a lot of fun with our customers and each other. Slackers and grumps didn't last long. We depended on everyone doing their jobs in a friendly, good-humored way and the peer pressure worked.

Too bad you missed our act! It was a good time back then.

Dea

PineyBob said:
I never flew PSA can anyone relate the inflight experience?
[post="307248"][/post]​

I found this thread, and this site, by chance and was fascinated to see the retro paint scheme. I just had to reply to this question from the point-of-view of a passenger.

I was a kid that flew on PSA every summer during the 70's and 80's, from San Jose down to LAX or San Diego to visit either my father or my grandparents, and PSA was amazing.

First, I fell in love with the 727's colorful paint scheme and smile. It really was wonderful to see it flying, or to see that smile coming towards you as you waited at the gate to get on board. Of course, that paint scheme was applied to all it's planes, but the 727 was always my favorite.

Second, the people that worked for PSA were absolutely the best. They always smiled, were always friendly, and always made you feel like it was a family and that you (the passenger) were part of it. And the uniforms the stews wore were less conservative than other airlines'... the passengers most definately noticed the attractive stewardesses. In fact, PSA took advantage of that by making them a major part of it's advertising during the late 60's and 70's.

The bottom line is, I have never flown with any airline that has even come close to making me feel they wanted me to be flying with them the way PSA did. It really was a family, and I haven't seen anything like it since. It's nice to see the retro planes, but it just won't be the same.

For any ex-PSA employees out there, I want to thank you for the wonderful memories on the many trips on took with you!

...Charles Trotter

Maybe the company store could sell retro merchandise? The Logojets would sell like hotcakes. I'd love to see Tshirts and flight bags as well, and posters...

Does anyone have a photo of the ad in the SAN paper?