Allegheny Furloughs

LukeSkywalker

Jan 14, 2003
Does anyone know if there are anymore furloughed ALG pilots out there? I heard that there are six F.O. positions open in March. Will they go to the streets to fill these? Any inside info would be appreciated. Still waiting for a class. Thanks.

I talked with the Director of Ops recently and unfortunately, he stated there are no plans to start a new hire class. Yes, there are 6 f/o positions posted on the new bid sheet, and they're hoping to fill them with recalls. The furlough list is getting much smaller, and my guess is that most of them are already working somewhere else. If they only get 4 to come back, then that will be it. But, as of now, no plans for hiring off the street. Sorry.

Luke,

Might I suggest that you focus on another airline. There are several regionals hiring. Anything that is flying in U's colors is shaky at best. When looking for an airline job, especially your first one, do not try to pick and choose. You take the first one that offers.

There is an very good possibility that U will cease to exist if this pension thing is not worked out.

Nothing in the airline business is "written in stone". Especially during times like these. USAirways really hasn't given the wholly owned subs a plan for the future. We only know what we're doing for the next month or two, thats it. Until the decisions are made as to who is getting the RJs, things will remain relatively "status quo". How fast can it change? Things can change with a phone call. But like I said, until the decisions are made down in Crystal City, not much is going to change. Most other airlines aren't hiring right now, sow there's not much movement in the pilot ranks. The reason for the recalls is Allegheny got a small amount of additional flying that Mesa couldn't cover. But I wouldn't plan on any major expansion of turboprop flying. If there is going to be any expansion, it will be in the form of RJs. The big question is: Who is going to get them? Hang in there.

Latest posts