Retiree travel

Hmm...what new hires do you know Seatacus? Since there have not been any new hires since the Summer of 2001, please enlighten us with who these new hires are that plan to goof around and waste time with an elaborate hiring process before moving on with their lives yet again.

For your info..I happen to know some which I helped get hired on by letting them know that US needed agents. And these new-hires do not goof around and waste time. They are hard workers and appreciate making the starting salary. This job works well for them because they can work and go to college.

Do you think if we promised them second rate boarding priority they might stick around for retirement?

Yup..your right it is a different world. It's a world where promises can be broken under the guise of making things work. People are cast aside because they happen to be in someone's way.

Unfortunately that's the reality of today. Privileges cast aside, no. Amended YES. DP has it right...

Well let's see Jim, how long has US Airways been around? Even before all the subsequent mergers/acquisitions? Logic should tell you that with 36 years of employment, there can't be that many retirees in front of you if the company is barely that old itself.

You might want to check your history before making statements like that - US (Allegheny) was in business almost 40 years before that 36 year person was hired (started operating in the early '40's). Likewise, the various predecessor companies that merged into Allegheny before it became US Airways. I believe you can trace the roots of the Shuttle (Eastern) back even further.

The only exceptions that I can think of are Empire, the West side (HP), and possibly PSA (I just don't know when they started operating).

So yes, most living East retirees had earlier retiree's who boarded before them their whole career.

Now about that "benefit" these retirees had that you claim they want to deny you......

Jim

I was a few years off.....

All American Airways started in 1939.
Mohawk started in 1945.
Piedmont started in 1948.
Lake Central started in 1949.
PSA started in 1949.
Empire started in 1978.
and.....
Eastern started in 1928.

Jim

You might want to check your history before making statements like that - US (Allegheny) was in business almost 40 years before that 36 year person was hired (early '40's). Likewise, the various predecessor companies that merged into Allegheny before it became US Airways. I believe you can trace the roots of the Shuttle (Eastern) back even further.

The only exceptions that I can think of are Empire, the West side (HP), and possibly PSA (I just don't know when they started operating).

So yes, any living East retiree had retiree's who boarded before them their whole career.

Now about that "benefit" these retirees had that you claim they want to deny you......

Jim

Jim, I understand what you're saying, but commuting has changed so dramatically in just the past five years. RJ's have taken over so many former "mainline" cities, that getting anywhere is a problem. Gone are the days of 65% load factors and back to back 737s that allowed for the courtesy of retirees first. So I guess the "benefit" they're denying is the ability to reasonably do what they did for many years. That being getting to work when the company throws an active employee a curve. (PIT)

You might want to check your history before making statements like that - US (Allegheny) was in business almost 40 years before that 36 year person was hired (started operating in the early '40's). Likewise, the various predecessor companies that merged into Allegheny before it became US Airways. I believe you can trace the roots of the Shuttle (Eastern) back even further.

So yes, most living East retirees had earlier retiree's who boarded before them their whole career.

Jim

It certainly is a bit more daunting to consider there are 70 years of retirees from numerous larger airlines that have since been incoporated into a single carrier than 30-something years at Allegheny alone.

Jim, I can see you like to mince words, but the "benefit" I speak of is the same one that you and others claim that the company and we junior people are now trying to deny those that are no longer employed and have retired.

The more we speak of this, the more I'm starting to like the sound of First Come/First Served.

Jim, I can see you like to mince words, but the "benefit" I speak of is the same one that you and others claim that the company and we junior people are now trying to deny those that are no longer employed and have retired.

Talk about mincing words.....

Like I said, every current East retiree (except for a possible handful of former Empire folks) worked their entire career seeing retiree generally board ahead of them. So once again, what "benefit" did thay have that they don't want you to have?

That being getting to work when the company throws an active employee a curve. (PIT)

Oh, you mean like those who were thrown a curve when ATL, ILM, ROA, TYS, ORF, GSO, SYR, MIA, etc, closed? All who had to start commuting with retiree's potentially getting a seat first? [Oh, and I forgot the west coast PSA bases - those folks really had it made trying to commute transcon with retirees getting first shot at a seat]

Yup, you're right - no one else ever had to go through the tremendous hardship that you have to endure. What could these nasty, selfish retirees be thinking.....

Jim

You know what, no one forces anyone to commute, that is a personal choice.

The retirees gave their years of service to the company and need to be treated with respect and fly the same as current employees.

Talk about mincing words.....

Like I said, every current East retiree (except for a possible handful of former Empire folks) worked their entire career seeing retiree generally board ahead of them. So once again, what "benefit" did thay have that they don't want you to have?
Oh, you mean like those who were thrown a curve when ATL, ILM, ROA, TYS, ORF, GSO, SYR, MIA, etc, closed? All who had to start commuting with retiree's potentially getting a seat first?

Yup, you're right - no one else ever had to go through the tremendous hardship that you have to endure. What could these nasty, selfish retirees be thinking.....

Jim

I've bored of this argument so will end my participation in it here.

It's clearly pointless to expect stubborn old-school types to at least admit that they can see it anyway but their way even if they don't agree because "that's the way it's always been"...

So, the Older folks can point at the younger folks and say what an ungrateful, selfish, rotten group of brats we all are and that we will just never fathom everything they've had to endure...while the younger look back at the Senior Group and say, "We do see what you've been through and thank-you, appreciate what you've done and the hardships you've been through, but we have had and will continue to have our own hardships as well, please understand what we must now go through. We want to continue to make our lives here with a successful airline and breathe new life into her because she so desperately needs it. Please understand that we just want to enjoy what you always have. It's our turn."

But I guess in the end we are simply on opposite sides of the fence and our opinions are just that...opinions. We'll just have to leave it in the company's hands to decide. Good luck.

I think the retirees, the spouses and kids of current employees should start a media campaign and show the company in a bad light.

Also remember Colodny, Schofield, Siegel,Wolf, Gangwal, Glass, McKeen and numerous other former executives fly positive space.

They are not current nor active employees, Doug should treat them the same way!

Also remember Colodny, Schofield, Siegel,Wolf, Gangwal, Glass, McKeen and numerous other former executives fly positive space.

They are not current nor active employees, Doug should treat them the same way!

Absolutely agreed.

I've bored of this argument so will end my participation in it here.

Ah, the last refuge of those with no rebuttal.....

It's clearly pointless to expect stubborn old-school types to at least admit that they can see it anyway but their way even if they don't agree because "that's the way it's always been"...

As opposed to stubborn "upstart" types who refuse to admit that they can see it any other way but their way even if they don't agree because the other way would make it harder on them?

Please understand that we just want to enjoy what you always have.

Oh, you want a career of retirees possibly being ahead of you?

It's our turn."

On the other hand, I guess you don't want to put up with what previous retiree's have had to put up with - it's all about you now.

But I guess in the end we are simply on opposite sides of the fence and our opinions are just that...opinions. We'll just have to leave it in the company's hands to decide. Good luck.

As far as I know, they already have - your side won. As I've said a couple of times, I can live with it. I'd even defy you to find anywhere where I've said that I personally find their decision objectionable - you won't.

I do love, however, toying with those who use specious arguments to support what is in their best interests to the exclusion of all other viewpoints. Arguments like "taking a benefit away that they enjoyed" or "but I have to commute so I deserve".....

There's nothing wrong with "Looking out for #1" - it's human nature. At least have the honesty to admit it, however.

Jim

I think the retirees, the spouses and kids of current employees should start a media campaign and show the company in a bad light.
I often thought the same way, but there are many fine hard working employees that are doing a good job to keep the airline on its feet.

You always have a few vocal people that have their own interest in mind.

But if you tell one person something good usually that as far as it goes, tell one person something bad and it's usually repeated over and over.

Ah, the last refuge of those with no rebuttal.....
As opposed to stubborn "upstart" types who refuse to admit that they can see it any other way but their way even if they don't agree because the other way would make it harder on them?
Oh, you want a career of retirees possibly being ahead of you?
On the other hand, I guess you don't want what previous retiree's have had - it's all about you now.
As far as I know, they already have - your side won. As I've said a couple of times, I can live with it. I'd even defy you to find anywhere where I've said that I personally find their decision objectionable - you won't.

I do love, however, pointing out the specious arguments of those who really only want what's best for themselves regardless of the effect on others. Arguments like "taking a benefit away that they enjoyed" or "but I have to commute so [/i]deserve".....

Jim

Wrong Jim,

I do not feel the need to respond when you also have not addressed the valid points I have made. You have picked apart posts to support your own side, without addressing them as a whole.

Myself and others here who have shared the opinion I've expressed have stated repeatedly that we can see your side...we just don't agree with it. Where have you or anyone from your side repsonded in kind? Answer? You haven't...which makes it even more difficult to feel compassion for what you've been through. You want the respect that you will never give.

And no, I do not need to commute as I live in base, but many others might need to, as many in the history of US Airways have also needed to commute from the West Coast, Florida, and everywhere in between.

I'll leave you with that as I need to get to work now, I would hate for you to think that I simply had nothing more to say.

Have a nice day.