Retiree travel

You better go check your information, they had contracts that contained the language, Doug can't change that.
There was a notice posted on the pilots bb in CLT.
It said that to enhance revenue, yada, yada...
That Doug Parker said the former executives Wolf, Gangwal, Siegal, etc would not be allowed to book positive space and first class anymore. They still fly space available, coach travel. I'll find the note and you show me the clause's in W/G/S contracts.

There was a notice posted on the pilots bb in CLT.
It said that to enhance revenue, yada, yada...
That Doug Parker said the former executives Wolf, Gangwal, Siegal, etc would not be allowed to book positive space and first class anymore. They still fly space available, coach travel. I'll find the note and you show me the clause's in W/G/S contracts.

Yippee! If that's true, it's nice to see DP have the courage to make that call! Good move! It's also good for US "..to enhance our revenue, yada, yada.."
Wonder how much seniority they have and how hard it'd be to bump'em?

Yippee! If that's true, it's nice to see DP have the courage to make that call! Good move! It's also good for US "..to enhance our revenue, yada, yada.."
Trust me if you think those people will ever travel standby I have a nice bridge you might be interested in buying. Lets get real.

flyguy,

Just remember, retiree's being one step lower than active is just as foreign for everyone retired from the East. That they're upset shouldn't be a surprise.

From the perspective of these folks, they are not trying to take anything away from anyone. They are seeing something taken away from them - the ability to compete for a non-rev seat on a level playing field with active employees - that they spent a career watching retirees enjoy and expected to enjoy when they retired.
Jim

You have hit the nail on the head and said it quite eloquently I might add. :) When we left, we were assured we would travel at the same level as active since we had more than 25 years of service under our belts. Imagine signing a contract, being told there was no turning back and having to have it notorized and a deadline. In the text of the paperwork for that contract, the terms of separation were listed. Among those were boarding at an active employee level if you had 25 years of service. Now suddenly, that part is thrown out. WE werent allowed to make any changes once it was turned in and had to accept what date we were given. THIS is a manin reason why we are upset, along with what BB said above.

IF it is true, Wolf, gangal and Siegel were new hires with only a few years. :up:

If anyone sees Wolf Gangwal or Siegel on a US Airways flight please post it. Those too rich bastards should be paying for a ticket.

In the paperwork i got that had to be notorized like ChrisUS mentions, mine also said i would have no cost for medical insurance ever. Well in 2005 i wrote Cobra a check each month from March on for $774.22 and my pension was turned over to the PBGC. Date of hire for boarding purposes was all we had left and in the 45 years i was under that system i never heard one complaint about it.

A lot of opinions on this issue, but, truthfully, I really don't think it will make much of a difference in our ability to travel, no matter how we do it.

Personally, I like seniority and feel that retirees should travel on the same priority as active employees. I don't have a lot of seniority (DOH 2001), but that has never really been an issue. I plan the flights and have not really had a problem. Honestly, I have been bumped more by revenue pax than by more senior non-revs.

One thing being said here is our ability to hire would be easier if retirees went after active employees. I don't really think that most new hires understand enough to make a decision based on that. All they care about at that time is "wow, we can fly for free!". But, let's say they do. How will it help us if that new hire knows that we took the ability to board with active employees away? If it were me, I would wonder what they will take from me when I retire. Maybe the company will change and not let retirees travel at all! I understand all the financial policies that have changed, but this is something that costs the company nothing, and should have stayed as promised.

Either way, I don't see people in mass droves not being able to get anywhere, after all, we all give our friends buddy passes, and they go behind everyone, and usually they get where they are going! Employees of affiliates and registered guests fly as an S5 (which is after retirees), and they also get to fly, and are able to.

Despite the fact that I agree with DOH vs FCFS, and I think retirees should travel as promised, I think it is an exageration, when anyone one says "if they do that we'll never get to fly". We will all get to fly, it's just that some of us will have to get used to a new way of doing it!

Personally, I like seniority and feel that retirees should travel on the same priority as active employees. I don't have a lot of seniority (DOH 2001), but that has never really been an issue. I plan the flights and have not really had a problem. Honestly, I have been bumped more by revenue pax than by more senior non-revs.

I dont ever recall being bumped by a retiree in my 33 years. Especially now, with no medical and costs rising, WHO on a pension can AFFORD to go anywhere? Check into hotel prices lately? Better be visiting family. LOL!

Perhaps we should look at this for what I believe it is. Doug is trying to stroke the "active" employees trying to calm the waters in this merger transition. And who does he do it to? The retirees who have no recourse to do anything. Pretty brave huh?