American Airlines And US Airways File Motion To Set Trial For Nov. 12, 2013

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
FORT WORTH, Texas and TEMPE, Ariz., Aug. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- AMR Corporation (AAMRQ), the parent company of American Airlines, Inc., and US Airways Group, Inc. (LCC) today announced that they filed a motion to set a trial date and a supporting brief in the United States District Court for the District Of Columbia in connection with the lawsuit filed by the U.S. Department of Justice ("DOJ") regarding the merger of the two airlines. In the motion, American Airlines and US Airways have requested a Nov. 12, 2013 trial date.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/american-airlines-us-airways-file-203700107.html

A little more detail:

American Airlines Inc. and US Airways Inc. want a fast trial, soon.

In papers filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., the two airlines asked U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly to begin hearing the antitrust lawsuit against them by Nov. 12.

That’s a lot sooner than the Justice Department wants.
“Defendants seek to start trial on November 12, 2013, or as soon thereafter as the Court’s calendar permits,” the two carriers and Justice lawyers said in a Thursday filing. “Plaintiffs [DOJ], in response to defendants’ request for a trial date as soon as possible, have proposed that the trial begin on February 10, 2014, or as soon thereafter as the Court’s calendar permits.”

In a separate filing, US Airways and American estimated that a trial would take 10 days. Assuming a Nov. 12 start, that would take the trial to Nov. 25, three days before Thanksgiving.

A Feb. 10, 2014, start would have the trial end on Feb. 21, 2014.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2013/08/american-airlines-us-airways-ask-for-a-nov-12-trial-on-antitrust-lawsuit.html/

Between AA, IBT, and the TWU, conspiring to keep AMFA from representing us, the 2003 Contract, the 2012 contract, the fact that the APA, and APFA, were able to come out ahead in the post bk contract. The outsourcing of mech jobs. This is just one little blip on the long screwing the mechs have gotten from the TWU ! I feel numb to the pain. I'm more interested in what the union is going to do to me next.

I defy you to find a real union leader and tell him that you are in a union, and you get half pay for sick time and you get .01 cent for shift diff, and he doesn't laugh at you.

Reactions: 1 person
1) AA wins if the December drop-dead date passes without a merger and the agreement isn't modified

2) DOJ wins if AA walks away without a trial

Reactions: 4 people
I for one hope the merger doesn't happen, but the DOJ wanting the trial to start no soon than six months is insane. They appeared to be really confident in their case when they filed the lawsuit. Looks like they really don't want a fight.

If the trial doesn't start before mid November, I believe AA will walk away from the merger in December. Nothing will get done with the holidays end of the year. American cannot afford to continue this path into the first quarter of next year.

I for one hope the merger doesn't happen, but the DOJ wanting the trial to start no soon than six months is insane. They appeared to be really confident in their case when they filed the lawsuit. Looks like they really don't want a fight.

If the trial doesn't start before mid November, I believe AA will walk away from the merger in December. Nothing will get done with the holidays end of the year. American cannot afford to continue this path into the first quarter of next year.
So much for the 18 months in BK. Dont kid yourself, AA can afford it.

Dont kid yourself, AA can afford it.

Monetarily I agree with you they can afford it, but time is the asset they don't possess in great abundance. Will AA be granted another extention for exclusive rights to file a plan? The vulture capitalist are watching to be sure.

This is just one more example of the ass clowns that run this place can't do anything right.

if i were an aa employee if the merger fails and they continue in bankruptcy just how long will the creditors keep their patience before they say enough is enough want the full pay i hope it would not get to that point but since nov 2011 and approaching 22 months in ch11 and if the merger fails then can the creditors demand aa be broken up so they would get their returns that would be a concern if i were an aa employee i hope im wrong on that but i think of eastern pan an and twa as examples as welll as usairways

So the Judge says she will be extremely busy early next year!

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2013/08/antitrust-judge-in-american-airlines-us-airways-case-has-a-long-trial-scheduled-to-begin-in-mid-january.html/