American Airlines And US Airways File Motion To Set Trial For Nov. 12, 2013

"The DOJ is well aware of the dates of the merger agreement and of the impact to AA's BK but and will try to use every lever to increase the chances for a settlement"
I thought from some of the experts on this board, the DOJ wasn't interested in a settlement.

"Since Christmas and New Years throw a wrench in everything, the trial will either start by early December or not until mid-January".
Doesn't it say the judge has a case starting Jan. 14 and would last six to eight weeks?
Don't see it starting mid Jan.

accrding to the article the latest it would start would be early to mid march due to the doj wanting a feb start but the criminal trial would begin in jan or feb and last 6 to 8 weeks...... i think the judge's schd favors a nov trial which would be what the 2 airlines want we shall see apparently on aug 30 the judge may decidehe starting date

"The DOJ is well aware of the dates of the merger agreement and of the impact to AA's BK but and will try to use every lever to increase the chances for a settlement"
I thought from some of the experts on this board, the DOJ wasn't interested in a settlement.

"Since Christmas and New Years throw a wrench in everything, the trial will either start by early December or not until mid-January".
Doesn't it say the judge has a case starting Jan. 14 and would last six to eight weeks?
Don't see it starting mid Jan.
The DOJ will say it doesn't want a settlement but it is very hard to believe that there are realistically so many problems that there is no resolution. The question is simply whether the price becomes too high for AMR's creditors and whether Parker decides it isn't worth it... probably specifically about DCA.

I also think the trial will be sooner than the DOJ is hoping but it still doesn't change that the trial is a significant risk to AA's reorg and ability to compete. Even if they gain a full victory and are out of court by Dec 1, it will still take time to finalize everything in BK and even if the merger happens right away, the merger then starts during the slowest season of the year - expenses add up with little opportunity to gain revenue benefits.

The question is simply whether the price becomes too high for AMR's creditors and whether Parker decides it isn't worth it... probably specifically about DCA.

I don't believe there's any price that's too high to pay for Parker. He is so disparate for this merger, he would be willing to give up PHX, CLT, DCA, and PHL to make it work.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't believe there's any price that's too high to pay for Parker. He is so disparate for this merger, he would be willing to give up PHX, CLT, DCA, and PHL to make it work.
Because the reality is that Parker wants to run any airline except USAIR.

bob if that were true then i think he could have left a long long time ago but at the helm of hp he chose to take over US in 2005 when both ailing companies were on the verge of going out of business...

DOJ: November trial date in US Airways-American Airlines antitrust case would rush things, so let’s start in March 2014:

The U.S. Department of Justice argued Wednesday that it needs more than 2½ months to prepare for its antitrust trial to block the US Airways-American Airlines merger.

“Defendants’ attempt to rush this matter to a trial on the merits in fewer than 75 days following the initial Scheduling Conference creates the very real risk that a challenge to a $14 billion merger—in dollar terms one of the largest merger challenges ever adjudicated—will be resolved on less than an appropriate record.”

US Airways and American Airlines have called for a Nov. 12 start to the trial. The DOJ had originally proposed a Feb. 10 start.

However, Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly had warned that she had a criminal trial starting Jan. 14 that would take six to eight weeks, covering the start date that Justice attorneys had proposed.

Instead, the DOJ suggested that March 2014 would be a good month to start the trial.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2013/08/doj-november-trial-date-in-us-airways-american-airlines-antitrust-case-would-rush-things-so-lets-start-in-march-2014.html/

I personally don't think the Judge will wait that long, but who knows.
Also, shouldn't the DOJ have been somewhat prepared when they brought this suit about.

E, FWAAA...you're up!

airline stocks just had another bad day on fears of US military intervention in Syria. All the progress in the industry and with AA's restructuring could be wiped out very quickly.

It is possible that the case could be moved if the DOJ convinces the current judge it can't be ready but she has a conflict with the dates that are available.

I personally don't think the Judge will wait that long, but who knows.
Also, shouldn't the DOJ have been somewhat prepared when they brought this suit about.

E, FWAAA...you're up!

I doubt it has anything to do with being prepared or not -- you file when you have your facts in order, knowing that you could have a court date within a couple weeks of the filing.

We know what the judge's calendar looks like, but do you happen to know what the DOJ's calendar looks like?...

It's not like "Law and Order" where they're just sitting around working on one case.... If they requested a date past November, there's probably reason for it, mainly conflicts with calendars.

I'm sure that the judge could push the date earlier than what DOJ has suggested, but I personally don't think that will happen. There's no great sense of urgency for doing so, aside from impatience, and that usually isn't just cause for much of anything.

airline stocks just had another bad day on fears of US military intervention in Syria. All the progress in the industry and with AA's restructuring could be wiped out very quickly.

It is possible that the case could be moved if the DOJ convinces the current judge it can't be ready but she has a conflict with the dates that are available.

Price of oil moved up quite a bit today-hence part of the reason why airline/transportation stocks were down. Of course, a potential Syria conflict might have something to do with that.

Also, why was DL down so much WT? I thought they had their Trainer Facility to help them hedge against this fuel volatility. :lol:

Price of oil moved up quite a bit today-hence part of the reason why airline/transportation stocks were down. Of course, a potential Syria conflict might have something to do with that.

Also, why was DL down so much WT? I thought they had their Trainer Facility to help them hedge against this fuel volatility. :lol:
because France has all kinds of economic interests in N. Africa and the Middle East and DL has a JV with AF?

Seriously?

hint: when missiles start flying, the cost of fuel really doesn't matter one way or the other.

I suppose DL could renounce its American citizenship, pretend its a Greek airline, paint over its American flag..... not sure about the rest of the pack. :)

I doubt it has anything to do with being prepared or not -- you file when you have your facts in order, knowing that you could have a court date within a couple weeks of the filing.

We know what the judge's calendar looks like, but do you happen to know what the DOJ's calendar looks like?...

It's not like "Law and Order" where they're just sitting around working on one case.... If they requested a date past November, there's probably reason for it, mainly conflicts with calendars.

I'm sure that the judge could push the date earlier than what DOJ has suggested, but I personally don't think that will happen. There's no great sense of urgency for doing so, aside from impatience, and that usually isn't just cause for much of anything.
kinda odd when the link that mci posted states that the DOJ needs til march 3 2014 to Develope evidence and prepare for trial.. preparing for trial is one thing..... but.......... needing to develope evidence something tells me the govt may not get what they wish and thats to stop the merger

Well stick a fork in this November turkey...its done.

As prescribed by the DOJ, AA can now move foward as the truly new American w/o Parker's Pirates at the helm.

The house that Casey-Crandall built still stands..