American Airlines Group Reports Highest Quarterly Profit In Company History

Profits at AA are elevated due to some tax breaks

"American paid $15 million in income tax in the quarter, compared with $340 million a year prior, bolstering its net profit. The carrier can reduce its taxable income because of past losses.? WSJ

Overspeed said:
Profits at AA are elevated due to some tax breaks

"American paid $15 million in income tax in the quarter, compared with $340 million a year prior, bolstering its net profit. The carrier can reduce its taxable income because of past losses.? WSJ

Here is a TWU tool carrying the company water.

Surprised?

Reactions: 3 people
After skimming through your manifesto, my take away is this

DL was just a mere $600 million from being profitable on its fuel hedges...
yep.... offset by $100 million in refinery gains and an increase in RASM that equated to just over $200 million in additional revenue.

add in $400 million in profit sharing that AA didn't pay and taxes that AA didn't have to account for because it is still freshly out of BK, and the results between AA and DL look remarkably similar.... with slightly different modifications the same can be said for UA as well.

It's just that those couple hundreds here and there add up in different ways.

and when AA is at a similar point in time outside of BK as DL is now, AA will be paying cash income taxes precisely because the industry environment is far more conducive to profits and AA will burn thru its tax credits far faster than it will take DL. UA is also not at the same point WRT taxes as DL - let alone WN that is paying cash income taxes.

There was no doubt that Parker's no fuel hedging policy came at just the right time... remember that PMAA did hedge fuel and Parker unloaded the hedges just in time to help AA weather the revenue decline that AA has faced.

Life is like that sometimes. and then other times, not so much.

WorldTraveler said:
yep.... offset by $100 million in refinery gains and an increase in RASM that equated to just over $200 million in additional revenue.add in $400 million in profit sharing that AA didn't pay and taxes that AA didn't have to account for because it is still freshly out of BK, and the results between AA and DL look remarkably similar.... with slightly different modifications the same can be said for UA as well.It's just that those couple hundreds here and there add up in different ways.and when AA is at a similar point in time outside of BK as DL is now, AA will be paying cash income taxes precisely because the industry environment is far more conducive to profits and AA will burn thru its tax credits far faster than it will take DL. UA is also not at the same point WRT taxes as DL - let alone WN that is paying cash income taxes.There was no doubt that Parker's no fuel hedging policy came at just the right time... remember that PMAA did hedge fuel and Parker unloaded the hedges just in time to help AA weather the revenue decline that AA has faced.Life is like that sometimes. and then other times, not so much.
That's great - AA still made more profits than DL

Reactions: 4 people
Also notably, given the constant color commentary about how AA is losing ground in NYC, AA President Scott Kirby said on Friday's earnings cal that NYC's performance was the "best" of all AA hubs YOY.

Reactions: 5 people
jcw said:
Yes. When the final numbers came out it still 700 million difference for one Q.  That is a very large difference for 2 of the legacies.  Delta has had it's time while the other legacies work thru all their BK's.  Delta was smart going thru BK first in order to be the first one done and out in order to take advantage of the passengers while UAL and AA restructured.  Delta thought for sure they would be able to steal and retain most the customers that flowed over from all that, but it appears they have faithfully returned to AA after merger clean up is all said and done.  
I have always said that AA will in fact surpass Delta when comparing the same amount of time out of BK, you know numbers being released when Delta was out of BK for 1,2,3,4,5 years and when AA comes out at 1,2,3,4,5 etc...  And AA just blew the doors off of Delta reporting the 2Q numbers.  Some have stated that this would never happen within the first 5 years but it has and by a very wide margin.  And yes I too believe American will be the top #1 big airline that will represent the United States main airline player and it will also maintain that position for some time to come.  My opinion that the airlines will play out as AA #1, Delta #2, UAL #3.  If UAL could get it's act together, they too could become #2 if they really want it, but I do not see that happening the way they are currently being ran.  UAL needs a little shake up in the management arena and clean house from top to mid management levels and start from scratch.
I really wish AA could get back to where all the employees were always bragging about working for AA.  I remember those days back in the day.  Now it seems all we hear about almost any airline is troubled labor accords and management against labor blah blah blah...  You guys will go to D+7 when the JCBA is done but I am afraid it will take a long time to get there, maybe we will be done with ours at SWA and you guys can have another airline to compare with.  Good luck to you guys, hope you get your D+7 without too much ask of other items but I bet it will have some huge asks from the language side...

Reactions: 4 people
swamt said:
Yes. When the final numbers came out it still 700 million difference for one Q.  That is a very large difference for 2 of the legacies.  Delta has had it's time while the other legacies work thru all their BK's.  Delta was smart going thru BK first in order to be the first one done and out in order to take advantage of the passengers while UAL and AA restructured.  Delta thought for sure they would be able to steal and retain most the customers that flowed over from all that, but it appears they have faithfully returned to AA after merger clean up is all said and done.  
I have always said that AA will in fact surpass Delta when comparing the same amount of time out of BK, you know numbers being released when Delta was out of BK for 1,2,3,4,5 years and when AA comes out at 1,2,3,4,5 etc...  And AA just blew the doors off of Delta reporting the 2Q numbers.  Some have stated that this would never happen within the first 5 years but it has and by a very wide margin.  And yes I too believe American will be the top #1 big airline that will represent the United States main airline player and it will also maintain that position for some time to come.  My opinion that the airlines will play out as AA #1, Delta #2, UAL #3.  If UAL could get it's act together, they too could become #2 if they really want it, but I do not see that happening the way they are currently being ran.  UAL needs a little shake up in the management arena and clean house from top to mid management levels and start from scratch.
I really wish AA could get back to where all the employees were always bragging about working for AA.  I remember those days back in the day.  Now it seems all we hear about almost any airline is troubled labor accords and management against labor blah blah blah...  You guys will go to D+7 when the JCBA is done but I am afraid it will take a long time to get there, maybe we will be done with ours at SWA and you guys can have another airline to compare with.  Good luck to you guys, hope you get your D+7 without too much ask of other items but I bet it will have some huge asks from the language side...

Boy swamt,...............you sure hit the nail on the head about AA Pride (though sometimes/somewhat begrudgingly)
As an AA retireee, as AA has started back on the road to what will lead it to its # 1 spot, I have felt the old AA AArogant pride returning.
'THIS'...wont happen..('THIS' meaning Bob Crandall), but ...IF...(uncle) BOBBY were to ever return  you'd see a ton of AAers 'ready to Fight'.  Don't get me wrong, Crandall would still be an S O B,............BUT...he'd be  OUR  SOB !
Which is somewhat of the way (in comparrison) that you SWers felt about HERB KELLIHER.

(I'm still trying to figure out who SMOKED More.  Crandall or Kelliher) !

You know swamt, I was around long enough to remember back in the day, that despite some ....puffed-out chest / huffing and puffing, that Crandall and HERB were very good friends, and very much  co-existed in the north Texas area, without any problems.  To me, that said a LOT

You are Obviously...a very intelligent person.
Again, thanks for the nice words about AA.

i remember being proud of working for aa, unfortunately those days are long gone and to be honest i dont see them returning.

Reactions: 1 person
Also notably, given the constant color commentary about how AA is losing ground in NYC, AA President Scott Kirby said on Friday's earnings cal that NYC's performance was the "best" of all AA hubs YOY.
funny that you acknowledge elsewhere that "best" doesn't mean anything other than change in performance - which says that AA's performance there was likely well below the performance of its other hubs.

if you have data to show that it really means something differently, plz be sure and share it.

Boy swamt,...............you sure hit the nail on the head about AA Pride (though sometimes/somewhat begrudgingly)
As an AA retireee, as AA has started back on the road to what will lead it to its # 1 spot, I have felt the old AA AArogant pride returning.
'THIS'...wont happen..('THIS' meaning Bob Crandall), but ...IF...(uncle) BOBBY were to ever return  you'd see a ton of AAers 'ready to Fight'.  Don't get me wrong, Crandall would still be an S O B,............BUT...he'd be  OUR  SOB !
Which is somewhat of the way (in comparrison) that you SWers felt about HERB KELLIHER.

(I'm still trying to figure out who SMOKED More.  Crandall or Kelliher) !

You know swamt, I was around long enough to remember back in the day, that despite some ....puffed-out chest / huffing and puffing, that Crandall and HERB were very good friends, and very much  co-existed in the north Texas area, without any problems.  To me, that said a LOT
except WN wasn't at all in a position to coexist in N. Texas with AA on anywhere close to an equal basis. WN was relegated to a position of inferiority, unable to serve the top markets. Even now, WN has far less space to work with at DAL than AA does and yet DAL has turned out to be a phenomenal success for not just WN. and WN is forced to give up gates at DAL if it wants to serve DFW. No other airline anywhere else in the US has a similar restriction against them in a rule that can only be seen as anticompetitive protection of AA

DAL is far more focused on local than connecting traffic but WN is still nowhere in a position of "peaceful coexistence" with AA or anyone else in N. Texas.

Funny how one can say SEA is the fastest growing hub in DL's network and it's OK - however if AA says NYC is it's fastest growing hub it's because of underperformance

jcw said:
And AA is still operating 2 seperate airlines. Once everything is merged profits will go higher! And by then, the MD 80s will be gone, replaced with more efficient aircraft, the synergies will be improving etc etc!

Reactions: 1 person

Latest posts