Attended Stan Herman's meeting today in Phoenix

My 2 cents about the tie. During the past few weeks, I have seen more chest hair than I ever care to see again. And most of it was gray! I haven't seen anyone unbutton just ONE button; it's always two. I know it's been incredibly hot everywhere. In PHX, it's like an oven, and in the caribbean, it's like a steambath, but the aviator shirt unbuttoned looks unprofessional. I hope that Stan will come up with something for us because the no-tie option looks undone.

Here's the Q & A's from the Roundtable. :)

Q&A: Above the Wing Roundtables

What we learned at the roundtables in Phoenix, Philadelphia and Charlotte was that amazingly, there is very little difference between what all of you need and want. The only real difference is that of geography – it gets hotter in Phoenix than other cities and as a result, the female employees there wear walking shorts on a regular basis. Employees in the Shuttle and Transatlantic markets feel the need to be a little dressier since they are interacting with heavy-hitting business types.

The new business casual uniform program will be designed with relaxed, yet professional core pieces for everyone that can then be dressed up or down depending upon your personal or geographic needs. An emphasis will be placed on attractive, modern separates that can be mixed and matched for greater variety and comfort.

June 23, 2006

Q: Our women look like men in their uniforms. Please tell me we’ll be getting feminine blouses!
A: Yes, our ladies will receive a selection of garments that will make them feel attractive and confident. Our designer, Stan Herman, is currently thinking about various concepts for all of you. You will probably be able to choose from several shaped blouses that may be worn in or out, depending on the style. You’ll also be able to choose a sweater set that will have real “attitude†and look like US Airways instead of an off-the-shelf garment.

Q: I wear a larger size than most. How do you plan to address the needs of employees like me?
A: We retained Stan Herman because he is an expert at designing clothing for people of all sizes. Stan has committed to designing core uniform pieces that will look as great on a size 6 as on a size 22. If you watch Stan on QVC, you’ll see the same loungewear set on a smaller woman as a full-figured one – and they both look terrific. Stan says it’s all in how you size up the pattern. He’ll work with the manufacturer to ensure they get this right.

Q: I recently bought a pair of slacks from our current uniform provider and the fabric isn’t as soft as the pair I purchased previously. The cut doesn’t seem to be the same either. Are we going to have these problems in the future?
A: Unfortunately, both East and West are in existing uniform programs that suppliers have inherited from other suppliers and interim fixes have been made along the way due to lack of availability or bankruptcy issues. Vendors are eager to work with us on our new program because it will be entirely new business for them and the combined company will be much larger than either program was previously. We will work with Stan and the manufacturers to ensure we select comfortable fabrics for our new garments. Purchasing will make certain that the new supplier will make good on the promises they make to earn our business.

Q: I’m tired of looking frumpy. Can’t we get something that is more form-fitting?
A: Stan understands that our employees are tired of their current outdated uniforms. He is working on garments that will be more modern in appearance and work for all sizes. Both male and female shirts and jackets will be less boxy, with more shape to them. We hope to find a breathable fabric with a little bit of lycra in it for greater comfort and stretch.

Q: Please keep in mind that many of us in the East are more “matureâ€. We don’t want to look silly in clothing that is too youthful for us.
A: You would be amazed – there were plenty of “mature†employees who turned out in Phoenix with your same concern. Stan is aware that we have a range of ages, shapes and sizes, and will address that in his design. The garments he develops will be modern in appearance, yet timeless enough that you’ll be able to wear them proudly for at least 5 or 6 years without feeling that they are outdated. We hope to update some of the optional clothing every few years so you’ll be able to mix and match with something more current.

Q: My long-sleeved shirts get so wrinkled. Can we get wrinkle-free fabric?
A: The blend of fabric is very important. Stan will be looking for a blend of cotton and polyester that will keep you cool and comfortable, as well as being easy to wash and maintain a professional appearance. There are some amazing new fabrics that are breathable and stretchable with wrinkle-free qualities actually built into the yarn itself. Understandably, these new solutions are more expensive. The shirts you can buy at JC Penny for example that are wrinkle-free are only surface-treated for regular wear and are not intended to stand up to repeated washing over an 18-month period. After about three months of washing, the wrinkle-free treatment washes out. Our challenge will be to get you the best combination for what we can afford.

Q: I like plain-front pants, but my co-worker thinks we should have pleated pants. What are we going to get?
A: Most of the employees we spoke with prefer plain-front pants, whether they were young, more mature, slim or large. According to Stan, who currently only wears plain-front pants, they are more modern in appearance and generally make everyone look slimmer. However, we will explore having both pleated and plain-front options so our employees can have a choice, assuming we can afford to do so.

Q: Can we get both junior and misses sizes?
A: Stan will design our core pieces in such a way that the garments get adjusted as they get larger.

Q: Will we have garments in Petite, Regular, and Tall sizes.
A: Yes, we will. Stan feels fit is extremely important and will take this into consideration. We heard lots of comments about how the rise of the current pants is not right. Issues like this should be addressed with the new program.

Q: Our ladies look like “walking menâ€. Can’t we please get a scarf as an option so we look more feminine?
A: Ties and scarves will be optional for our employees. You won’t be required to wear them. However, many of our employees want these accessories to add some color and personality to their attire. Employees in key business and transatlantic markets want to use these items to dress their uniforms up a little more so they feel confident standing next to a CEO of a major corporation or a flight attendant from Alitalia. Stan will be able to differentiate our employees from other U.S. carriers’ employees by incorporating accessories like these and the new sweater sets that will feature the new US Airways’ look.

Q: My shirt doesn’t have shape to it and it never stays in. Please fix this!
A: The current aviator shirts are very boxy. Stan plans to give the men’s and women’s shirts a little more shape and possibly longer tails to keep them tucked in better. (See the next answer for more information about a great way to keep your shirt tucked in.)

Q: As a flight attendant, I do a lot of stretching and squatting on the plane. In addition, my waistline gets bloated up in the air. Can we get more comfortable pants that will move with us instead of binding?
A: We are considering pants with concealed stretch waistbands that expand as you bend, eat, bloat, gain weight – we’ve got you covered! These pants won’t look like they have elastic in the waistband, nor will they have the rubber grippers that so many of you complained rub against your skin.

Q: Thanks for letting me take my tie off, but now my shirt looks really bad because the collar doesn’t stand up. Am I going to have to put my tie back on with the new program?
A: Employees will be able to choose whether or not they wish to wear a tie or scarf with their uniform. Stan will design our new shirts and blouses in such a way that they can be worn open-necked and stand up on their own or be worn with other accessories.

Q: I’m so sick of only wearing a white aviator shirt. Can’t we get anything else? What about some of the shirts the West employees currently wear?
A: The New Look program will be for an entirely new airline and won’t incorporate any pieces from either side. We want all of you to look like a family, so you’ll have new pieces that are a visual representation of our business casual brand. We’ve learned a lot from all of you about which pieces were the worst and which were the best. We’ll use that information to ensure that the new pieces incorporate the features you liked so much in other garments. (See below for more information about color.)

Q: I perspire a lot in hot weather and don’t want to have sweat stains under my arms. Please keep this in mind!
A: Stan has promised to explore modern fabrics that will wick perspiration away from your body. You can wonderful things with certain blends. (Polyester is no longer a bad word!) We need to find a blend that is a loose enough weave to keep you cool, but still look fresh and professional. We may offer several different styles of shirts or blouses in different colors and patterns so you can choose one that will show stains less than others. For example, you might be able to choose from an irregular striped shirt, a solid-colored shirt and an all white, textured shirt. The latter might work best for you on extremely hot days. If you’re male, remember – a white, short-sleeved undershirt is your best friend. (Plus, there were many employees who said they don’t want to see your hairy chest!)

Q: We’ve been in white shirts and blue uniforms for so long. Please – can’t we have a little bit of color?
A: As you saw above, we may be able to offer several new shirts in different colors. Stan showed a beautiful tie at each roundtable session to illustrate for employees how he might incorporate a “symphony of blues†(or another shade) into our uniforms. In other words, the irregular striped shirt referenced above might incorporate the same shade used in the solid-colored blouse, and one of the colors might be the base color of the sweater with “tipping†in a different color. The scarf and tie would pick up some of the same hues. So, if five employees stood side by side in different garments, they would still look as if they were all part of the same family.

Q: We have so many different garments right now, we don’t look like we work for the same airline. What do you propose?
A: We’d like to offer fewer garments of better quality that can be mixed and matched as separates. This would enable you to have more options and greater comfort than you presently have while keeping our costs within reason and a uniform look.

Q: Isn’t this all going to cost a lot? How can we afford to hire Stan to do our program?
A: You’re right – hiring an outside consultant is not part of the new US Airways’ business model. However, we recognized after our first blunder (remember the photos on the intranet?) that we needed an expert to help us develop uniforms you will be proud to wear. Marketing went on a two-week roadtrip to research best practices and interview uniform suppliers, designers and even retailers, with the conclusion that using Stan would be a wise thing. We believe he’ll be able to help us decrease our time to market and add value to the program by increasing quality while reducing cost. Stan will work closely with the manufacturer to ensure we choose only the best, most cost-effective solutions. In addition, several suppliers gave us valuable suggestions about how to better manage our program. Lastly, we believe the combined power of our two companies will make our program more desirable to suppliers who will vie with one another for our business. As a larger entity, we should be able to command a better price per unit.

Q: Why Stan Herman and not someone else?
A: Stan has over 25 years of experience developing uniforms for many airlines and other clients in addition to his ready-to-wear business. As a result, he understands all of our issues, especially the fact that your garments need to last through repeated wear and washings. He knows how to design for all sizes, instead of limiting himself to a certain type of clientele. Most importantly, as an independent fashion consultant, Stan will be able to bridge the gap between “East†and “West†and create a new look for everyone. Stan will help our team with management of the project, including design, fabrication, sourcing and manufacturing.

Q: What direction has Marketing given Stan?
A: Our new business casual uniforms should be stylish, comfortable and functional. As a visible representation of the new US Airways brand, they will be simple and relaxed, yet professional in appearance. There should be fewer garments of better quality that can be mixed and matched as separates for greater variety and comfort. Employees will be able to express themselves by dressing the core pieces up or down based on their personal preferences and geographic needs. Modern fabrics and smart features should allow employees to concentrate on doing their jobs better, meeting the company’s goal of providing friendly and helpful service all the time.

Q: I like the uniforms Stan designed for jetBlue, but how do we keep from looking like them since they are a low-cost carrier too?
A: Stan’s job is to ensure that doesn’t happen. Nor are we going to let any of you look like you work for Southwest! Marketing has been very clear with Stan what our new look should be, and frankly, he took this project because he felt it posed an intriguing challenge to define the first truly business casual look for the industry. He views this as an opportunity to create an impact in the marketplace. Stan has a lot of great ideas floating around in his head and was eager to put pen to paper after our six roundtable sessions concluded.

Q: You’ve talked about fewer core pieces of greater quality. What items do you think will be part of our new program?
A: Right now we’re considering the following items to be core pieces: jacket, pants, dress and skirt in a base color. We hope to be able to add several shirts and blouses and are considering an irregular-striped shirt, a solid-colored shirt, and a white textured shirt. However, we need to wait and see what Stan designs for us. In addition, he will consider scarves and ties, sweater sets for ladies and possibly a mock turtleneck and cardigan for men. The dress could be a one-piece dress or a two-piece dress, which would allow ladies to wear that top with slacks as well. And lastly, he’ll be giving a lot of thought to walking shorts and skorts to see if there is a viable solution that fits our business casual model. Stan feels our uniforms should have a “modern, easy look†and “fit the bodyâ€.

Q: I heard the pilots have selected a black uniform. Does this mean we’ll be in black too?
A: Flight Operations has selected black uniforms with silver braid to ensure that all of our pilots are in the same uniform going forward. However, just because they’ll be in black, doesn’t mean that Inflight Services and Passenger Service will be too – we need to see how Stan interprets our new business casual brand. Right now he’s leaning towards navy, but stay tuned. Stan’s seen the uniform Flight Operations selected and has some great ideas about a really handsome tie that can incorporate colors from both programs so everyone looks like they’re part of the same family.

Q: Who’s on the Above The Wing uniform review committee?
A: Because Inflight Services and Passenger Service will share some common garments, representatives from both sides are working together to ensure the needs of their work groups are addressed. Employee feedback indicates that differentiation is important however, so they’re keeping that in mind as we go forward with the design process.

EMBFA you are sooo right on it's scary. Like she said, there are bad on both ends but many fly express and it IS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE AND INCONSISTENT. It is a reflection on mainline and we have enough to clean up here to worry about the unprofessionalism of express. It's the facts folks. Admit it. Those that are great flight attendants on express we appreciate you and accept you as a professional. EMBFA again...is dead on.

While I do think that the unprofessionalism of some of our Express carrier crews is unacceptable and brings reproach on US Airways name, the bottom line is you get what you pay for.

Tempe should be doing everything possible to make sure Express is adhering to Mainline standards. However, pay Express wages, and these types mentioned above are the quality of employees you will attract. The scary thing is, Mainline pay isn't that far behind. :( :down:

I have little experience with flying Express, but my experiences have been pleasant. I guess if you commute on them, you see more craziness, but the same could be said for mainline.

BTW, the airlines have been outsourcing LONG before the outsourcing of res and mechanics. It's called US Airways Express. If DP wants to build a solid airline, somehow get back those emb 170's (ex mda) and put them on mainline, build up our company owned express companies, merge the senorities ( mainline would STILL be more senior) and start dumping these OUTSOURCED express carriers.

Then, the info about HOW to wear the current and NEW uniform would be consistant. :up:

I have little experience with flying Express, but my experiences have been pleasant. I guess if you commute on them, you see more craziness, but the same could be said for mainline.

BTW, the airlines have been outsourcing LONG before the outsourcing of res and mechanics. It's called US Airways Express. If DP wants to build a solid airline, somehow get back those emb 170's (ex mda) and put them on mainline, build up our company owned express companies, merge the senorities ( mainline would STILL be more senior) and start dumping these OUTSOURCED express carriers.

Then, the info about HOW to wear the current and NEW uniform would be consistant. :up:

i agree. there should just be one seniority list, it would be a better quality of life for everyone. I'll take a block on an rj! 121 is right that our pay is just as bad now so i worry about what we'll get when we do hire.

sorry to take it off topic.

when will we see the basic uniform?

you mean the vest or my pants? which one? lol. people tell me my pants are too tight on me. i think that they fit just fine. the vest is a medium and i have no problem getting it on . it's just a fitted vest.it does not fit me tight. are you calling me`fat by the way? how dare you. lol
You Look GREAT in Those Form Fitting Slacks etops!! ;)

OK, this has gone on now for way to long. The tie now is an option and can be taken off. For those that say its's WRONG to take the tie off of an aviator shirt is strictly an opinion. I said it way back and shall again....If you know the meaning of starch/sizing and can FIT in your uniform the tie/tab off looks fine. Now that is "MY OPINION" and apparently the company feels the same way. The heat is horrible in an a/c whether your in LAS, PHX or MIA, FLL. It is summer and almost 100 degrees in MANY parts of the country. I flew around with a 737 all day and had a broken APU. Anyone that had a problem with my not wearing a tie could bend over and kiss my patootie. That goes for if I were on Transatlantic flying with those that still think they are flying to Europe on Concorde. If I'm hot off it goes and I don't care if I'm wearing a damn Gucci or Prada uniform. Professional is good but holding onto dressing as if the job hasn't changed is nuts. The same people that want this professional look with ties are the same kind that talk about the "trash" on the cheap tickets.

I'm not trying to be rude here but just making a statment. Many talk about the heat in LAS and PHX. The heat, the heat, the heat. I live in LAS and commute to PHL from there. I know the heat on the a/c. It does however get hot in DFW, BNA, FLL, MIA, JAX, TPA, MCO, GSO, RDU, CLT...... the aircraft fly all over this great country. The a/c sitting though 110 outside are no hotter on the inside than anywhere else where the temp is 90+ degrees and the humidity is high. The temps in the cabin are sometimes extreme all over the place. Again, I have sat on the a/c on the tarmac in LAS and yes they get hot but no different than anywhere else. Hot is hot is hot. Just have to make that known. I see it written so much on here. FYI sat on the tarmac in MCO waiting to go to PHL. The a/c was almost unbearble. Need I mention that it was a 7dirty7.

:up:
=====================================================

Is that a new type from Boeing? Dreamliner or sonic cruiser?
:up: The main message I've gotten so far, from those that attended the meetings with Stan Herman, is that everyone is going to be happy with the final product. Meaning, those who insist on wearing ties, scarves, will be able to continue to do so, and those of us who hate neckwear, will never have to wear it again! The minute the company announced that we could go tieless, I did. And I feel so much more comfortable doing my job. I iron my shirts, and wear a white tshirt underneath, so I still look professional...but way comfortable. Its a culture shock, and change for many, but get used to it, cuz we are going to have a business casual uniform. :D

:up: :up: The main message I've gotten so far, from those that attended the meetings with Stan Herman, is that everyone is going to be happy with the final product. Meaning, those who insist on wearing ties, scarves, will be able to continue to do so, and those of us who hate neckwear, will never have to wear it again! The minute the company announced that we could go tieless, I did. And I feel so much more comfortable doing my job. I iron my shirts, and wear a white tshirt underneath, so I still look professional...but way comfortable. Its a culture shock, and change for many, but get used to it, cuz we are going to have a business casual uniform. :D
Sorry, BUT IT JUST DOESN'T LOOK GOOD!!!!

:up: :up: The main message I've gotten so far, from those that attended the meetings with Stan Herman, is that everyone is going to be happy with the final product. Meaning, those who insist on wearing ties, scarves, will be able to continue to do so, and those of us who hate neckwear, will never have to wear it again! The minute the company announced that we could go tieless, I did. And I feel so much more comfortable doing my job. I iron my shirts, and wear a white tshirt underneath, so I still look professional...but way comfortable. Its a culture shock, and change for many, but get used to it, cuz we are going to have a business casual uniform. :D
:up: :up: Good for you. There is no reason why men should have to wear a tie. As long as the shirt is ironed and an undershirt of some sort is worn. Its a double standard for men and women in the work force. What's the tie thing about any how? Ive seen so many women look like crap- nasty sweaters, pants bugling at the seems,dresses too small, way too short, unironed blouses , etc. So give everyone the option of a shirt or blouse that doesnt have to be tucked in- sqaure cut at the bottom; its professional, flattering to many who are " heavy" and allows f/as to do a job that requires bending, stretching and hustling about the cabin and terminal. They are not sitting at desks, they are WORKING in a confined, small tube trying to be of service to the flying public. And god bless um all for that, they deserve to be comfortable.

Sorry, BUT IT JUST DOESN'T LOOK GOOD!!!!

Yeah, well ties loosened to the second button JUST DOESN'T LOOK GOOD!!!!!
Shirts hanging out of the slacks JUST DOESN'T LOOK GOOD!!!!!
Shirts not ironed or starched JUST DOESN'T LOOK GOOD!!!!!
Shirts worn without undershirts JUST DOESN'T LOOK GOOD!!!!!
Wrinkled shirts AND pants JUST DOESN'T LOOG GOOD!!!!!

So what's your point?

I know the shirt looks unfinished but on behalf of my neck, thank you for the lack of neck burn and heat rashes! You guys go ahead and choke. You'll see me AND my tie in November...so PLEASE...ENOUGH...all the "JUST DOESN'T LOOK GOOD!!!!" is NOT going to hang my neck with that UGLY (talk about just doesn't look good!!!!!) tie.

In the meantime, I am as polished without the tie as I am with. It's those that don't...regardless of the tie issue...that JUST DOESN'T LOOK GOOD!!!!! B)

Latest posts