American has been cracking down on carryons

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
At various airports recently, the private contractor ticket checker at the security checkpoint (an AA contractor) has been checking carryon bags with the AA tubular carryon sizer box. When the bags don't fit, the moat dragon tells the offender to go back and check the bags. This has happened recently at LGA. At other airports, gate agents have been enforcing the use of the sizer boxes and gate-checking bags that don't fit.

While I tend to agree with enforcing size limits on carryon bags, my question is this:

Did the FAA (or another agency) recently fine AA for allowing too many carryons or for allowing carryons of excessive size?

Reason I ask is that employees are telling passengers that AA was fined over carryon bags and that prompted AA to act. Of course, the FAA doesn't care how large the bags are as long as all carryons are properly stowed. More likely, someone caught AA allowing too many carryons.

Can anyone confirm if the FAA fined AA recently? Thanks.

At various airports recently, the private contractor ticket checker at the security checkpoint (an AA contractor) has been checking carryon bags with the AA tubular carryon sizer box. When the bags don't fit, the moat dragon tells the offender to go back and check the bags. This has happened recently at LGA. At other airports, gate agents have been enforcing the use of the sizer boxes and gate-checking bags that don't fit.

While I tend to agree with enforcing size limits on carryon bags, my question is this:

Did the FAA (or another agency) recently fine AA for allowing too many carryons or for allowing carryons of excessive size?

Reason I ask is that employees are telling passengers that AA was fined over carryon bags and that prompted AA to act. Of course, the FAA doesn't care how large the bags are as long as all carryons are properly stowed. More likely, someone caught AA allowing too many carryons.

Can anyone confirm if the FAA fined AA recently? Thanks.
Haven't heard of any fines. Funny thing is AA just added extended bins on a good portion of the fleet to fit those larger bags and more of them in the overhead and now some airports restrict them. The bags the bins are designed to hold don't fit in that carry-on bag checker. But I do know they are cracking down on those with the excessive amount of carry-ons and that's probally a good thing.

At LAX about 2 weeks ago, I was told by an agent that they (LAX) had been fined for a. not making the carry-on bag announcement before boarding--"Ladies and Gentlemen, you are allowed one carry-on bag per person plus one small personal item."--and b. not enforcing the carry-on bag rules.

To which I say AMEN! Can I have an AMEN from the choir?
At STL we are doing the quick turn experiment. When they asked for suggestions on how to speed up the boarding process, my #1 suggestion was enforce the carry-on bag rules.

I had a woman get on one day not long ago with a rollaboard, a tote bag, a full-size laptop computer bag precariously balanced in the top of the tote, and her purse over her shoulder. I'm sorry, but just because you can stuff half of the computer bag down in the tote does NOT make it one small personal item.

The interesting thing about all this is that I thought the restriction on carry-on bags was a TSA regulation, not an FAA reg. (????) Regardless of whose rule it is, I saw a guy in the concourse the other day with a rollaboard and a large box that looked like it could hold a small to medium size microwave oven! That box would not have fit under the throne of England, much less under the seat in front of him. :shock:

That being said, I do very much agree with the comment that the bag sizers are too small. We might get better cooperation if we had realistic bag sizers. Everyone knows that the bins will hold bags a good bit bigger than what will fit in the current sizers.

Was in STL the other day. What a wonderful experience. The agents were ready for our arrival, wheel chairs waiting at the AC door. Cabin service right on and turned us out quick.

We were late arriving, but the 45 min turn done in less of course worked great. Also sent a base report to make sure as many people as possible know what a Great staff and operation they have there. Have 2 more trips through. looking forward to them.

As for baggage. I believe that each airline makes there own rules. The FAA fines them for not enforcing there own rules and regs.

Was in STL the other day. What a wonderful experience. The agents were ready for our arrival, wheel chairs waiting at the AC door. Cabin service right on and turned us out quick.
The spirit of TWA lives.

:up:

Thanks, Mikey. STL is a nice base and a nice operation. The agents are especially nice to commuting flight attendants. They make every effort to make sure that you get on your flight.

FA: I'm sorry sir, but that bag is bigger than our sizing limits.

PAX: But it fits in an overhead bin.

FA: Sir, I fit in an OHB, but I do not fit in a sizing box. Where can we send your bag?? :D

The interesting thing about all this is that I thought the restriction on carry-on bags was a TSA regulation, not an FAA reg. (????) Regardless of whose rule it is, I saw a guy in the concourse the other day with a rollaboard and a large box that looked like it could hold a small to medium size microwave oven! That box would not have fit under the throne of England, much less under the seat in front of him. :shock:

That being said, I do very much agree with the comment that the bag sizers are too small. We might get better cooperation if we had realistic bag sizers. Everyone knows that the bins will hold bags a good bit bigger than what will fit in the current sizers.

The carryon restriction (one plus one personal item) was enacted by Norm Mineta as Secretary of Transportation on about October 8, 2001, at the same time DCA was reopened. The "rule" was never officially published as a federal regulation, but was contained in Security Directives to the airlines. As an aside, Bob Baker was actually instrumental in the rule, as he served on Mineta's committee that came up with it.

I agree with you, Jim, about the sizer boxes. AA's rule prohibits carryons with linear dimensions greater than 45 inches, yet the sizer boxes prohibit bags that actually fall within the 45 inch limit. If AA is gonna be strict about the bags fitting in the sizer boxes, then AA should notify people of the actual dimensions so they can plan BEFORE they get to the airport. My old Samsonite hardshell Silhouette5 fits under the seats and fits in all the bins (many of them wheels first) yet I'm not certain it fits in the tubular sizer boxes.

AMFAMAN raises excellent points: AA has spent millions installing the overhead bin extensions so that rollaboards can fit wheels first, which greatly expands the carryon capacity.

I agree that the "kitchen sink" packers need to be reigned in - in general, carryon bag limits are good. Just not when they apply to me and my reasonably sized carryon. :D

And of course, the A-holes in Row 33 who stuff their bags above row 3 as they board need to have their carryons tossed out of the door and onto the tarmac so the tug drivers can drive over the bags' remains. :angry:

That space is for those of us still paying what it takes to sit up front. :D

Thanks to all. Have a safe and Happy Turkey Weekend.

And of course, the A-holes in Row 33 who stuff their bags above row 3 as they board need to have their carryons tossed out of the door and onto the tarmac so the tug drivers can drive over the bags' remains. :angry:

That space is for those of us still paying what it takes to sit up front. :D

I have observed that flight attendants use that space for THEIR bags. On an MD80, this almost fills up the first class overhead bins.

I have observed that flight attendants use that space for THEIR bags. On an MD80, this almost fills up the first class overhead bins.

Don't know where you are flying, but I fly the S80 a lot out of STL. I know of no f/a who puts his/her bags in the F/C overhead bins.

#1 usually shares the closet floor with the cockpit. #2 & #4 take their bags toward the back of M/C near their jumpseats; so the bags are convenient if they need something from them.

AMFAMAN raises excellent points: AA has spent millions installing the overhead bin extensions so that rollaboards can fit wheels first, which greatly expands the carryon capacity.
I just had to frame that...Never thought I would see the day that FWAAA said I raised an excellent point. :p :p

Happy Turkey Day :D

Don't know where you are flying, but I fly the S80 a lot out of STL. I know of no f/a who puts his/her bags in the F/C overhead bins.

Every day I see it at LAX. I am usually finishing up when the FAs come on and stow their bags. I can't comment on other stations because I usually am boarded at the last minute when I travel.

Some TWA S-80's required one pilot to store there bags in the F/C overhead bins. That might have changed by now. I can't say that I have ever seen any F/A store their bags in F/C either.

What do you do witih international pax from OA who run down the jetbridge in JFK with 3 shopping bags containing "antiques", 2 paitings from some flea market in Mexico, and rolleboards filled with "china from Vienna"? when I complained to the gate agent that she should never have let them past her, the response was, "They come from other airlines wtih different rules and we can't grab their shopping bags from them at the gate." Well, I guess we'll delay the closing of the door then while I frantically find space and convince the pax why his bag has to fit all the way underneath the seat lest it blocks his seatmate from stumbling out into the aisle during a 90 second evacuation.
I've said to this guy last week, "Sir, if we have an evacuation, he is going to trip over your bags and there will be a stempede. People are going to die." He still refused to check his bag!

Back