American looking to "right-size" the company and staffing levels for the Fall and 2021

AA just has hubs in 3 of the worst-hit states in the U.S (4 if you want to count LAX). Not as severe? I guess we'll see.

yes, this is why united got hit so hard the first go around...ewr and ord.

they just doubled the flights in my hub..with this spike, i'm guessing they'll erase some flights.

yes, this is why united got hit so hard the first go around...ewr and ord.

they just doubled the flights in my hub..with this spike, i'm guessing they'll erase some flights.

That's the funny thing. Before the recent spike, we were slated to double our flight schedule, and increase in August. It was announced internally last week. But with the restrictions / quaratine that the Tri-State area, those will be reduced,

i believe this recent spike is the killer nail. it will be a major hit, as if the airlines haven't taken enough. do i believe everyone who travels to ord or lga will self-quarantine for 14 days? no. but it will discourage travel.

intl travel is shot for the rest of the year.

no upside anywhere for 2020.

we'll need to rely on therapeutics and eventually, a vaccine. until then, forget it.
It is a killer hit. This virus situation is so bad that it could change how the airline industry is handled by governments. It really looks like another large bailout will be needed or multiple bankruptcy cases will emerge. The airlines are no doubt letting the government know just how severe this is and what the end result will be without major government involvement. The crap hits the fan soon.

I'm UA. But I frequently post on this forum since most of us like to communicate with each other from other airlines, and compare notes and share info.
No problem our turn is coming. And yes communication is good

According to email from the CLT briefing the union was notified today that next week WARN letters will go out. But no numbers as of now as to how many will be furloughed

AA just has hubs in 3 of the worst-hit states in the U.S (4 if you want to count LAX). Not as severe? I guess we'll see.
System load factor dropped about 7% from last week it's hard to tell if it's the spike or the big increase in flights . While the hub flights are okay they added some point to point flying where I'm at, places like CMH,RDU etc and though they are eagle flights they're lucky to have 15 people on them.Who knows what the break even load factor is in this environment

Indeed. Just as I got done reading your post it came across the local news that;

"United is looking to layoff as many as 10's of thousands of employees as soon as they can, and that date is Oct. 1st when they are no longer under the PPP gov assist. provisions."

I bet we will see other airlines chime in, in hopes to get the gov's attention of how dire it will get with the airlines if they don't step in and help with their vote to extend thru March 2021.

WARN deadlines are approaching, which is why you saw UA issue their release. One of my friends heard that the cuts are going as deep as 2002 seniority in some workgroups... I can't imagine having 18 years and being on the bubble...

I don't agree with E's theory of just let'em go. I say extend at least until March 2021. We will see what the gov does with this vote coming up.

That's just kicking the can for the inevitable.

UA has bigger issues because of the travel restrictions imposed by the NE state governors, they have no idea how much these restrictions will harm their economies more than has already happened .
DL is more connected to Europe than even AA and thus it’s hurting them more as well.
AA doesn’t have these same issues but they do have them but not as severe in my opinion.
Yes we have to get smaller but maybe not to the extent the other 2 will need to

Yep, AA does appear to suck less than DL and UA because they have less international to deal with, but that may be temporary. Europe and Asia are on the upswing, and Brasil and Latin America are a ways off from any meaningful recovery...

According to email from the CLT briefing the union was notified today that next week WARN letters will go out. But no numbers as of now as to how many will be furloughed

Which union?

And BTW, If you're TWU always expect the worst.............cause that's usually what happens!

AMFA NOW!

Reactions: swamt and dfw gen
9 months pay and benefits
Seems low percentage wise. I wish there were no layoffs, but I'm expecting it to be worse than that.

To me, 2800 sounds more like a number for maintenance not fleet.. No surprise that a fleet rep on the IAM side says WARN letters coming next week.. the first time I received a warning letter it was hand delivered by my supervisor, the second one I received a few years later came FedEx..

To me, 2800 sounds more like a number for maintenance not fleet.. No surprise that a fleet rep on the IAM side says WARN letters coming next week.. the first time I received a warning letter it was hand delivered by my supervisor, the second one I received a few years later came FedEx..
I agree there are 10,500 maint and related
18,500 fleet service
2,500 sounds about right for maintenance. I see fleet getting wacked a little heavier

i don't argue. if the govt. picked up labor costs for all the u.s. airlines for another 3 months, last quarter of 2020...that's prob around $8 billion-$10 billion.

nothing. a drop in the bucket.

but, then every other industry will ask for the same.

the loans are also good. they are much cheaper than $$ from any private financier. only wall street has an issue, bk vs. diluted stock. can't win.

personally, i think the airlines want to cut heads.

Are we next?
Are we right around the corner?
Airline industry, monkey see, monkey do.

I hope not. Let's wish for the best for AA and the other airlines in this shared sacrifice industry.

https://apnews.com/b8ec22960abe7615...n=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP
Holy crap. That's 45% of United's employees. Remember AA said 20-30%, will they now have to increase those numbers to match or at least better to compete with cost? I hope they don't just as you say, monkey see, monkey do just because they can. I was NOT expecting that large of a number from United.
I did read one article that broke the numbers down with 5500-5900 being in maint at United. And I think Towbar posted around 40% that is huge % compared to what AA announced around 20-30%.
I also assume that all these numbers will be less after employees take the leaves and Early Outs, question is how much less??? The United numbers are, to say the least, scary.

Latest posts