American looking to "right-size" the company and staffing levels for the Fall and 2021

I’m not sure what they are looking for.
The money for the insurance is pretty damn good.
But if your not set for retirement with a good savings plan then I get it but the company is not going to pay you a years salary to walk away
Until the next bankruptcy

I’m not sure what they are looking for.
The money for the insurance is pretty damn good.
But if your not set for retirement with a good savings plan then I get it but the company is not going to pay you a years salary to walk away
Why not? They giving the pilots 3 years pay. Right?

What do you mean how is the CARES act lining your pocket? They are covering American Airlines (and other airlines) payroll............ I can't believe I have to explain that to you.

i'm getting paid my normal wages - no lining my pocket with any windfall.

getting paid my normal wages just as a printer at a print shop or a butcher at a market from businesses that applied for ppp. the govt. is also paying their wages.

it's not just airlines.

La li As a FSA for A . I tell my colleagues that in my own personal opinion I believe the writing is on the wall for a CH 11 filing bec of the debt loa . It's almost like Dejubu when we were US n there was 2 filings. granted different time periods but still and I feel the stock buy backs did helluva damage more than DL n UA n SW

can't agree.

this isn't us air 2002 relying on pit-clt flights to combat the economic hit of 9-11.

no one disputes that aa doesn't have debt. aa said last year that CapEx will shrink going forward - allowing for much more free cash flow for paying down the debt.

we and everyone else needs to get out of this covid mess and then we'll see how it looks going forward.

AA has again extended the VEOP and VLOA till aug 17. This tells me they aren't going to get enough people to take it given their not offering much when compared to DL n SW

i'm hearing the same. the rumor is only 20 out of apprx 1000 fsc in my station have signed up for this latest buyout. we had numbers from march that took the buyout then, so, to me, the numbers aren't a total failure. i don't work in phx, i heard that a number of laa in phx are taking it.

the medical insurance fund is fantastic. united workers are telling me that they wish united would offer the same amount for their medical insurance fund. i believe they told me united is offering $45k for their fund, if you separate from united.

Delta has now said if the stalling does continue that there will be layoffs. Hopefully hearing this from the airlines again will help to get the extension passed. Bastain is quoted below about the stalling as you have said. SWA also said that the no layoffs, furloughs and no pay cuts were only for 2020. That statement does not cover into and beyond 2021. And that is why the airlines are fully supporting the extension to go thru and pass in congress with "no new strings" attached.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/delta-ceo-warns-furloughs-tens-001345464.html

i saw that interview yesterday on fox business news - as the dow tanked a few hundred points in 20 minutes, in front of my eyes.

the delta CEO was somewhat upbeat. said leisure travel is king right now and maybe business travel comes back after a vaccine. he said delta will test and keep testing each and every employee for the virus.

he also said that by not extending the cares act, there will be layoffs in the tens of thousands for other airlines, but - he did say that delta is hoping not to layoff anyone.

so, delta is still sticking to it's narrative that it doesn't want to and may not have to - layoff employees. he said half of delta's employees have taken a leave or have left the company.

i believe that was negotiated in the pilots' contract. give kudos to their union for the foresight.

3 years pay isn't coming out of generosity.
This buyout deal, announced Tuesday, gives pilots about six months’ pay, along with $100,000 to $150,000 in a medical spending account. The deal for older pilots is about 60% of annual pay for three years.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business...get-more-employees-to-take-leave-and-buyouts/

Not in the contract, negotiated by their union

Reactions: swamt
you're right, not contractual. pilots' union does deserve kudos. i remember what was announced in march:

A voluntary short-term leave enables pilots to maintain seniority, benefits and 55% of normal pay.

A voluntary permanent leave provides for an early retirement and is designed to be attractive to pilots in their 60s who face mandatory retirement at age 65. It offers medical insurance up to age 65, about 60% of current pay and pay for 40% of accumulated sick time as well as continued pension benefits to age 65.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedree...-for-pilot-leaves-during-crisis/#e65baaf4461f

i'm hearing the same. the rumor is only 20 out of apprx 1000 fsc in my station have signed up for this latest buyout. we had numbers from march that took the buyout then, so, to me, the numbers aren't a total failure. i don't work in phx, i heard that a number of laa in phx are taking it.

the medical insurance fund is fantastic. united workers are telling me that they wish united would offer the same amount for their medical insurance fund. i believe they told me united is offering $45k for their fund, if you separate from united.
their word isnt worth the paper its written on. create a fund with my name on it separate from the company and ill consider it.

IMHO, I don't think that CARES 2 is going to happen, so I'm sure there will be furloughs because it will be less business for October into next year. In my workgroup at UA, they were supposed to put out options for those on the RIF lists, and they were supposed to (if eligible) to see what cities that were open to bid on (if their seniority could hold if you took the system option). That was pushed back for a couple of weeks, because the company and the IAM came up with a offer where you can take a leave for one calendar year with 25 percent pay and full benefits and accruals. I think some people would take that offer if they have something else going on. Meanwhile, some people are still taking COLAs, and some are retiring. I think it would mitigate some furloughs, (I don't know what other work groups are offering their members) so I don't think it would be 36,000 in total. Maybe half of that number..... which is still a lot. Hopefully in six or seven months, things would be better. (I don't know when it will be normal, but that is only when the day we won't have to wear a mask.

Just my two cents..........

Prior to 9/11, airlines were responsible for security. Feds took it over based on creation of DHS and TSA.

Some airports have since opted out of having TSA doing security after the laws were changed to allow privatization.
I see. Well I only started working in the airline business in 2000 and I worked at a maintenance base. I only worked at the airport after Sept 11th due to layoff and being bumped.

I guess the "NEW" normal was just "THE" normal for me because prior to that I had not stepped in an airport since I was a small child.

i'm getting paid my normal wages - no lining my pocket with any windfall.
No. If if airline employees were getting paid their normal wage then there would be many laid off. In fact you ARE getting a windfall and those wages being enjoyed by the airline employees are in fact taxes being paid by other people, most making far less than airline employees. In short you are not enjoying YOUR wages, you are enjoying MINE as the taxes levied against my paycheck, are now and will be as we pay off the debt, benefiting YOU.

getting paid my normal wages just as a printer at a print shop or a butcher at a market from businesses that applied for ppp. the govt. is also paying their wages.
They certainly are not supporting 80% of their workforce after the print shop and butcher shop said they don't need those employees due to drop in demand.

it's not just airlines.
Supporting 80 percent of their payroll? Yes, in fact it is.

That goes far beyond assistance.

Last edited:

Latest posts