American Pilots Reject Contract offer with raises

SWAMECH

Veteran
Apr 26, 2005
Union's BOD voted reject to the recent contract offer to boost pay by up to 19% over 2 years. Overwhelmingly voted down by 2/3rds of the BOD. If I were to guess, more than likely has something to do with scheduling. Now some more $$ may get tossed their way in order to get a deal done.

• Haha
Reactions: WeAAsles
Union's BOD voted reject to the recent contract offer to boost pay by up to 19% over 2 years. Overwhelmingly voted down by 2/3rds of the BOD. If I were to guess, more than likely has something to do with scheduling. Now some more $$ may get tossed their way in order to get a deal done.

If you were to guess? It says right in the article that it has to do with scheduling. WTF? 😵‍💫

If I am AA management I throw the kitchen sink in and get a deal before both UA and Delta.

Not sure if this will actually go anywhere but it is out there.

Nov 11 (Reuters) - American Airlines Group's (AAL.O) pilots said on Friday that their union has agreed to explore a merger with the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA), which represents pilots at major U.S. carriers United Airlines (UAL.O) and Delta Air Lines (DAL.N).

The Allied Pilots Association said its board of directors unanimously agreed to create a merger committee to look at joining forces with ALPA, although members have yet to be appointed.

If I am AA management I throw the kitchen sink in and get a deal before both UA and Delta.
Ahhh, yes, the "Delta" move right back at Delta. Delta always has liked to be the first airline to throw wages at their employees (in any of the work groups) just before all the other airlines are nego raises or fixing to start so that they were first, then all the other airlines have a goal to beat and when all said and done Delta has the lowest cost compared to the other airlines but still gave raises.

• Haha
Reactions: WeAAsles
Ahhh, yes, the "Delta" move right back at Delta. Delta always has liked to be the first airline to throw wages at their employees (in any of the work groups) just before all the other airlines are nego raises or fixing to start so that they were first, then all the other airlines have a goal to beat and when all said and done Delta has the lowest cost compared to the other airlines but still gave raises.

Fake news. Last year Delta gave its Ground Workers (AMT’s included) a 4% raise that only brought them up to our wage scales at AA minus $00.1 cent. They were skipped for raises in 2020 because of the Pandemic whereas TWU/IAM M&R and Ramp got their 2% raise first week of April. Another 2% raise came first week of April 2022. That’s when Delta finally matched.

Flight Attendants at AA received their last contractual raise on 1/1/2019 and I believe Delta matched that raise also in 2019. Because of the Delta 4% given in 2022 it’s likely Delta FA’s are now 4% above AA while AA (APFA) is in contract negotiations.

Pilots for both Airlines being Unionized are both negotiating for new agreements and I’m not aware of either being arbitrarily given a raise outside of those negotiations.

Pilots at UAL (ALPA) are being given a 5% wage increase early by Management prior to a LOA being triggered due to the Pilots allowing modifications to their CBA during the Pandemic.

—————————————————————————

October 2019. Then the TWU/IAM Association went over that when we signed our Contract March 2020

2022 raises

UAL raises.

Last edited:

Delta’s historical timeline for announcing wage increases for non union (non contractual) employee usually fell in March to start in April. In 2019 however they did wait till October to implement those increases.

I suspect Delta will again announce in March even if many industry negotiations are still lingering? IMO look for a minimum of 6% to as high as 9% because of the rise of inflation in 2022.

Pilots you can guaranteed will have a wage adjustment clause in all of their agreements in case any of the other Airlines leapfrog them.

Delta's C-Suite is boxed into a corner. They have pilot negotiations to grapple with, and an F/A campaign that is very much rolling along. For ACS and tech Ops they have recruitment/retention issues they've never really faced before.

All the while you have the CEO on national TV saying that the pilots "will never strike" before quickly correcting himself, and telling employees at a Town Hall in MSP that DL "isn't a bank." Good times.

Delta's C-Suite is boxed into a corner. They have pilot negotiations to grapple with, and an F/A campaign that is very much rolling along. For ACS and tech Ops they have recruitment/retention issues they've never really faced before.

All the while you have the CEO on national TV saying that the pilots "will never strike" before quickly correcting himself, and telling employees at a Town Hall in MSP that DL "isn't a bank." Good times.

Well on this issue I’ll wish you good luck. No our Company’s are not banks but inflation touches all areas and they have (so far) been able to raise prices to cover rising fuel and labor costs.

As far as retention for ACS and Tech Ops that’s an easy solution. Drop the length of time it takes to reach TOS. Ramp should be 8 to 9 years and AMT’s should be 5 to 6 years. The reason people leave is because it’s demoralizing to think they have to wait 12 years to have a decent life.

And as far as where I see us headed in wages the first glance is up with the SWA PSA who now has their third TA to vote on.

4 Years
DOS $35.00 going to $39.39 (Customer Service)
DOS $37.71 going to $42.45 (At Home CSA)

Lead pay $4.25

Ramp at UAL and SWA are in Negotiations. As are CSA at AA and FA’s at AA, UAL and SWA.

I believe all the airlines are facing the same. Inflation being one of the biggest as well as retention/retainment issues. When SWA said they would hire up to 10,000 employees from mid 2021-2022 they thought all positions would get filled rather quickly as usually, they get very overwhelmed with resumes and inquiries when they do. The massive overwhelming and inquiries did not happen this time around. Twice, if not 3 times, in the past when they put out openings for F/A's or even mechanics they would get computer site crashes due to the overwhelming amount trying to apply.
I'm in hopes that all employees get a bump in pay tied directly to this inflation still going on.

I believe all the airlines are facing the same. Inflation being one of the biggest as well as retention/retainment issues. When SWA said they would hire up to 10,000 employees from mid 2021-2022 they thought all positions would get filled rather quickly as usually, they get very overwhelmed with resumes and inquiries when they do. The massive overwhelming and inquiries did not happen this time around. Twice, if not 3 times, in the past when they put out openings for F/A's or even mechanics they would get computer site crashes due to the overwhelming amount trying to apply.
I'm in hopes that all employees get a bump in pay tied directly to this inflation still going on.

All major Union groups at the 4 major carriers are currently in negotiations minus 2. The AMFA at your Airline and the Association at AA. Unfortunately I find it “unlikely” (Not highly though) that our 2 groups will see any wage bump until it’s been formally negotiated.

If our respective Company’s did “choose” however to increase the scale wages for us it won’t be for the full amount to match whatever percentage the other groups eventually ratify. Management will have to leave some meat 🍖 on the bone for us to want to strive for.

Well, I don't blame them for doing this. AA can say and report that they will match Delta's pay, bennies, 401K, and QOL issues all they want, but "actions" speaks louder than just saying they will do something. Yes they said they would match, but when, how long would AA take to discuss and or nego with the union to match Delta's rates. This, IMO, is why they went ahead and took the vote. Mainly to be prepared in full if it becomes necessary.