American seeks LA-Shanghai route

Well,that tears it. We should just abandon everything, we've been measured and found wanting by a United Airlines flight attendant. :rolleyes:

Why are you wasting time doing safety demos and popping Cokes at UAL? Get on the horn with your headhunter and come steer AA off the shoals only you can see.

By the gods, Untied has a plane somewhere in the air right now! We'd better surrender faster than the French did in '39...

Well,that tears it. We should just abandon everything, we've been measured and found wanting by a United Airlines flight attendant. :rolleyes:

Why are you wasting time doing safety demos and popping Cokes at UAL? Get on the horn with your headhunter and come steer AA off the shoals only you can see.

By the gods, Untied has a plane somewhere in the air right now! We'd better surrender faster than the French did in '39...

You are so dramatic and drastic JFK, my opinion isnt gods word, I just state the obvious. Whether you choose to accept reality is a little different, and please, for like the 500th time, dont put words in my mouth, I never said AMR should surrender.

AA's got a good chance of making this work. As Mark mentioned, they've already got about an 11% market share lead over UA (maybe a little less with UA+CO, but not much less), and the corporate contracts are a lot stricter than what GoodGirl000 might be indicating. Getting data on who is booking on who isn't a secret. When you start looking at the BIDT and MIDT data available, airlines have a lot more visibility into who is/isn't meeting their targets/commitments and who is shifting market share from AA to UA and v.v.

Also lost in the noise here is whether or not UA is going to be keeping a three class cabin.

At this point, United is going to be UA in name only. The guys from CO now drive the marketing and revenue bus, and they're a two cabin carrier. It may just be a matter of time before they have to decide on whether or not to keep trying with P.S. and the three class 777's, or if they "commonalize" the fleet and go with two class including Y+.

You are so dramatic and drastic JFK, my opinion isnt gods word, I just state the obvious. Whether you choose to accept reality is a little different, and please, for like the 500th time, dont put words in my mouth, I never said AMR should surrender.

He wasn't being dramatic. He was being sarcastic, but then I'm not surprised that you take seriously anyone who disagrees with you or appears to be making fun of your posts. What you call obvious is obvious only to you. It's not reality. It's your desired version of reality. Well, Dorothy, this is neither Oz nor Kansas. Wishing will not make it so.

Seems I remember that when UA and US were talking merger, you were predicting the end of AA then. The combo was going to eat AA for lunch. Yet, despite your grasp of the "obvous", it didn't happen.

You seem to have your knickers in a twist about AA for reasons known only to you. (No, I don't want to know. I don't care.) In any case, the only reason you come to this forum is to post negative impending doom opinions about AA. I think I'll report this to the moderators and see what they say about your "contributions" to this forum.

By the way, you need to get out more. Your world is really small if all you have to do is post negative comments about AA. I don't even see you posting positive comments about UAUA (your stock symbol since bankruptcy, by the way).

He wasn't being dramatic. He was being sarcastic, but then I'm not surprised that you take seriously anyone who disagrees with you or appears to be making fun of your posts. What you call obvious is obvious only to you. It's not reality. It's your desired version of reality. Well, Dorothy, this is neither Oz nor Kansas. Wishing will not make it so.

Seems I remember that when UA and US were talking merger, you were predicting the end of AA then. The combo was going to eat AA for lunch. Yet, despite your grasp of the "obvous", it didn't happen.

You seem to have your knickers in a twist about AA for reasons known only to you. (No, I don't want to know. I don't care.) In any case, the only reason you come to this forum is to post negative impending doom opinions about AA. I think I'll report this to the moderators and see what they say about your "contributions" to this forum.

By the way, you need to get out more. Your world is really small if all you have to do is post negative comments about AA. I don't even see you posting positive comments about UAUA (your stock symbol since bankruptcy, by the way).

Please do, I am just stating my opinion (which you do not like)..

Folks,

Don't make this an argument between two or three people. Personal attacks will get this thread closed and some people time in the cornfield.

You can argue the POINT, but you can't insult the POSTER.

Based on the fact that:

A. Corporations have contracts with multiple carriers not just one - most are required to take the lowest fare of the direct route.
B. Key word, mainline... "We are pleased that DOT approved the application so quickly, and we believe travelers will be pleased with this service, as it will connect Shanghai with more points in North America than any other airline can," United spokesman Rahsaan Johnson said."
C. Now with EWR as well as JFK P.S... I would suspect UAL will capture more NY-LAX passengers, going forward, as well as UAL being much much more present in the west vs. AA., I will stand by my post that UAL will do better on the route.

P.S. Hows the OPRAH corporate contract going?

AA is not what it used to be.

A) Nowadays, true, a lot do. One major exception: movie studios and agencies (another major exception are IT companies). They don't go with multiple carriers. And AA has them pretty much all.
2) Yes, because we all know how important all that Embraer feed to Yuma and Santa Maria is. AA+MQ will probably be larger by 2012 because of the Skywest Embraer retirements which will create a smaller UA network out of LAX.
3) AA is the largest carrier on the route and continues to be, even though PS was introduced about 4-5 years ago.

A) Nowadays, true, a lot do. One major exception: movie studios and agencies (another major exception are IT companies). They don't go with multiple carriers. And AA has them pretty much all.
2) Yes, because we all know how important all that Embraer feed to Yuma and Santa Maria is. AA+MQ will probably be larger by 2012 because of the Skywest Embraer retirements which will create a smaller UA network out of LAX.
3) AA is the largest carrier on the route and continues to be, even though PS was introduced about 4-5 years ago.

Yes, we do know how important it is, especially since AA is dying to relax the scope to do just the exact same thing (which i am not saying is good ) ..

I doubt AA will have more NY - LAX capacity with CAL added to UAL, Highly highly unlikely. With the 2 combined it should be well over what AA could possibly even think of carrying.

Most importantly, it is not who is the biggest, It is who has the lowest CASM, to make the route work. AA has one of the highest CASMs if not THE highest among legacies. That is why UAL and DAL will be more successful.

I doubt AA will have more NY - LAX capacity with CAL added to UAL, Highly highly unlikely. With the 2 combined it should be well over what AA could possibly even think of carrying.

Highly highly untrue.

UA+CO have 6x to EWR and 6x to JFK. All narrowbody (757s to JFK, and 737s to EWR)

AA has 1x to EWR (757) and 10x to JFK (all 762)

UA does have *1* more flight between the two airports. But it's all on narrowbodies. On a seats basis, AA wins hands down.

But please, do keep trying to sway us with opinions not based on any facts.... ;)

Highly highly untrue.

UA+CO have 6x to EWR and 6x to JFK. All narrowbody (757s to JFK, and 737s to EWR)

AA has 1x to EWR (757) and 10x to JFK (all 762)

UA does have *1* more flight between the two airports. But it's all on narrowbodies. On a seats basis, AA wins hands down.

But please, do keep trying to sway us with opinions not based on any facts.... ;)

Yeah. But in PS's defense, those planes have been updated since Reagan was president. AA's -200's haven't been and it shows...

Yeah. But in PS's defense, those planes have been updated since Reagan was president. AA's -200's haven't been and it shows...

What are you talking about? I am working JFK-LAX this morning and there are new first class seats, new LCD monitors and GoGo inflight internet. The upgrade list is always a mile long for business and first. Our business people love these widebody aircraft.

They just got new seats in First Class and the business class was entirely redone last year (same seats, new upholstery).

The lack of facts here is amazing and hysterical.

The Boeing 767-200 plane is used by AA on Premium transcon routes, such as SFO, LAX-JFK, offering three full classes of service.

First Class on this plane is probably as good as domestic First Class gets, rivaling United Airlines' P.S. First Class. Lots of room, gourmet meals and top-notch service makes this the favorite First Class of many domestic travelers.

Business Class is also quite spacious, similar to older international Business Class products prior to the advent of slanted flat seats. On shorter domestic routes, Business Class is sold as Coach, and often given to AA's elite frequent flyer members. We have received reports that Business Class is now sold as First Class on longer domestic routes where only two classes of service is offered for sale.

Premium Classes are offered complimentary handheld digital audio and video entertainment units, which are available for rent in Economy Class.

# First. This cabin was refurbished in 2008�2009 with new Voyager seats in First and LCD cabin monitors. The new Voyager seats go nearly fully flat, are fully motorized, and include a massage function.

# Business. Recliner seats (reupholstered in 2008�2009) with manual controls, extra recline, footrests, tray tables in the armrests, and DC power at every seat. To extend the footrest fully, operate the levers in order, front-to-back (Legrest Extend, Legrest Angle, Footpad Extend); operate the levers in the opposite order to retract.

full atrticle page view here

_AA_767_200.gif

Latest posts

Back