AMR Faces Union Stalemate in Bid for $800 Million Labor Savings

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-02/amr-faces-union-stalemate-in-bid-for-800-million-labor-savings.html?cmpid=yhoo

So will AA be presenting its final, best offers soon in preparartion for its Ch 11 filing?

The brick is getting heavier by the minute. If AA was serious about filing they would
find a way to burn a couple of billions fast and do it. But it seems they want to
prolong the pain for a long time. Am surprise they are saying 800 million. I bet you in bankruptcy it will be over a billion. The people running this airline are worthless.
I bet you they will find a way to reward themselves in April of next year.
On the mean time the employees at the bottom will get screw NO MATTER WHAT!!!!

I wonder if the boyz of Centrepork have given any thought to how much this newest plea sounds like the one of 2003?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Talk to the bricks.

Even though the amount would make a negligible difference in the company's financial situation, if the executives would make an offer to forego all bonusses, stock options, and salary for even one year, it would make a difference symbolically. (That is, if it's not too late for such a gesture.) And, don't give me the crap that "their contracts require that they be paid the bonusses and stock options, etc." Jeff Smisek at Continental showed the way to do it. He just publicly announced that he would not even be drawing base salary until the airline returned to profitability.

Arpey and company have the moral and ethical stature of a toadstool. They are once again asking for enormous sacrifice on the part of the employees without even a suggestion that they might do some sacrificing also. Bring on bankruptcy. The law has changed since US Airways and the others raped their employees. It won't be so cut and dried for AMR to just abrogate the contracts and impose substandard wages. And, if they get forced into Ch. 7 (I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now), so be it. They've been mouthing for years that industry capacity needs to be cut. I say don't give a dime.

The part I really like about the changes to the bankruptcy law relates to "executive retention bonusses." They can no longer just claim that the execs have offers from other companies. They have to produce the offers in writing for the court. Even then, the judge is not required to approve the retention bonusses. He can just say, "well, their executive efforts so far have landed the company in my court. Let them take the other offer." :lol:

Even though the amount would make a negligible difference in the company's financial situation, if the executives would make an offer to forego all bonusses, stock options, and salary for even one year, it would make a difference symbolically. (That is, if it's not too late for such a gesture.) And, don't give me the crap that "their contracts require that they be paid the bonusses and stock options, etc." Jeff Smisek at Continental showed the way to do it. He just publicly announced that he would not even be drawing base salary until the airline returned to profitability.

Arpey and company have the moral and ethical stature of a toadstool. They are once again asking for enormous sacrifice on the part of the employees without even a suggestion that they might do some sacrificing also. Bring on bankruptcy. The law has changed since US Airways and the others raped their employees. It won't be so cut and dried for AMR to just abrogate the contracts and impose substandard wages. And, if they get forced into Ch. 7 (I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now), so be it. They've been mouthing for years that industry capacity needs to be cut. I say don't give a dime.

The part I really like about the changes to the bankruptcy law relates to "executive retention bonusses." They can no longer just claim that the execs have offers from other companies. They have to produce the offers in writing for the court. Even then, the judge is not required to approve the retention bonusses. He can just say, "well, their executive efforts so far have landed the company in my court. Let them take the other offer." :lol:
I've been trying to tell these people there have been changes, however untested. There have been legitimate Chapter 11 filings since 31 Oct. 2005 but no strategic filings, as were the Delta/Northworst/United filings BEFORE the law change. I have my doubts now that this group wants to be the test case re: what happens to a greedy corporation and its officers when filing for a tactical advantage over its workers in bankruptcy.

I had thought differently for quite some time but now I'm of the opinion it won't happen - just many threats from the company and their goon squads/unions who have been bought and paid for.

Arpey has made a big deal about the "morality" of a bankruptcy filing but it's evident, as you say, he and his fellow CPAs have the sense of morality one could expect to see in books about Adolf Hitler or Benito Musselini as with their darlings, the twu.

Not interested in the rhetoric anymore. Crap or get off the pot, boys.

And, don't give me the crap that "their contracts require that they be paid the bonusses and stock options, etc." Jeff Smisek at Continental showed the way to do it. He just publicly announced that he would not even be drawing base salary until the airline returned to profitability.

Jim,

You probably didn't read the fine print. Sure he made that jesture and didn't take any salary, bonuses, etc until the airline was profitable. The caveat was, all those bonuses, stock option salary, etc. were put into an escrow account and as soon as the airline turned profitable............. Big Pay Day.

Jim

Jim,

You probably didn't read the fine print. Sure he made that jesture and didn't take any salary, bonuses, etc until the airline was profitable. The caveat was, all those bonuses, stock option salary, etc. were put into an escrow account and as soon as the airline turned profitable............. Big Pay Day.

Jim
That's what I remember reading, also - it was reported somewhere. More low-life lying trash.

That's what I remember reading, also - it was reported somewhere. More low-life lying trash.

People forget that Carty also gave up his salary in 2001. No escrows, no loopholes. Just gave it up.

Lot of good it did him, eh?

The law has changed since US Airways and the others raped their employees. It won't be so cut and dried for AMR to just abrogate the contracts and impose substandard wages. And, if they get forced into Ch. 7 (I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now), so be it. They've been mouthing for years that industry capacity needs to be cut. I say don't give a dime.

None of the 2005 changes to the Bankruptcy Code affected the ability of the company to abrogate contracts. You posted the same incorrect info a couple of weeks ago. Incorrect then, still incorrect now.

So they won't get retention bonuses. Big deal. The Board of Directors will simply reward the execs after conclusion of the bankruptcy case.

The 2005 changes affecting corporate bankruptcies were superficial changes in response to perceived excesses of the three year UAL bankruptcy odyssey. Like much of what Congress does, lots of noise but not much substance. The other changes involve a shorter time to decide which leases to accept or reject and a shorter period of exclusivity during which to file a plan of reorg.

The 2005 changes dramatically impacted individual bankruptcies, but barely changed the Ch 11 rules affecting corporations.

People forget that Carty also gave up his salary in 2001. No escrows, no loopholes. Just gave it up.

Lot of good it did him, eh?

It was quite evident Carty pissed off the AMR BOD but he was still enough of a "player" to symbolically "fall on his sword" for doing as the BOD directed him to do as a show for the unions.

BTW, E, there is a huge difference between any lowlife executive-type millionaire scum giving up money they probably wouldn't notice being gone as opposed to lying with impunity to workers getting them to give up a large percentage of their pay to "keep the company out of bankruptcy".

How about his Chaufeur and clothing allowance?

Personal allowance for execs is part of their salary, so that was also waived.

How many TWU officials waived their union paid expenses, Bob? Sure, the ATD guys still on AA payroll being UB'd took the cuts, but what about "professional staff" that wasn't on AA payroll, and therefore subject to the cuts??

Frank Szabo said:
BTW, E, there is a huge difference between any lowlife executive-type millionaire scum giving up money they probably wouldn't notice being gone as opposed to lying with impunity to workers getting them to give up a large percentage of their pay to "keep the company out of bankruptcy".

Totally agree, Frank. And the reality is that the cuts in management were done on a sliding scale not too different from how income taxes are assessed, i.e. the rich pay more because they won't miss it... On a percentage basis, those making more took bigger cuts. I took a bigger cut as a L5 than my L4's did. L1's in our area took token cuts, just like the agents did, because they were already fairly low in comparison to the average salary for non-management employees union and non-union.

Again, what did the Union Bosses do in response to the 2003 cuts? What austerity plans did they put in place?

Certainly, if the members were hurting, they could have lightened the load a bit more than just taking less per hour.

"An injury to one is an injury to all"

How injured was Little? Don't bother, we all know the answer: What's good for the execs is good for the union bosses...

Latest posts