TWU joins Oneworld labor coalition, hoping it forces AMR to settle

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
When you're unable to convince your employer in negotiations to give you more money, what do you do? Form a global labor coalition. More terminal picketing. Yep, that will do it. Why don't you guys replace this worthless union already?

American Airlines’ largest union is taking the lead in creating a labor coalition among Oneworld alliance carriers in hopes of building global strength for contract negotiations.

The Transport Workers Union expects the coalition to increase pressure on AMR Corp.’s American to reach an agreement in talks that began in November 2007. Employees at carriers including British Airways and Japan Airlines Corp. may picket American terminals in their countries in support of the union, the group said today at a news conference.

“I expect to see real movement” in negotiations with American, said Garry Drummond, international vice president of the union’s air transport division. “A global labor council is different. It can make a huge difference.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-24/american-airlines-union-joins-oneworld-groups-in-bid-for-clout.html?cmpid=yhoo

"It can make a huge difference." Uh-huh.

Well it comes as no suprise to see FWAAA come out against a move by unions of the OneWorld Alliance to form a coalition. After all cooperation among unions is not in his interests, he would rather see unions stick to "cooperating" with companies, ie, giving concessions.

While the formation of the coalition comes during negotiations its portayal by the media as just a negotiation ploy tied to the current negotiations is false, if that was the case why would other unions from around the world want to join in? The intent is to build a long term cooperative relationship betweeen airline workers so the corporate members of the One World Alliance can not pit workers from one country and/or carrier against the other. Many of these workers have felt as we have that this is long overdue. Certianly, its hoped that this cooperation will result in better contracts for us all but this is for the long term.

Its funny how FWAAA charecterizes this as "fiddling" but then advocates that work groups continue to make concessions to the company as the company drags out talks, such as criticizing the pilots for not amending their Scope. He is all for more concessions while we suffer.

My only gripe is that its limited to ITA members, once again "Labor" fails to put aside factionalism for the sake of what should be considered the greater cause, once again union self interests trump unity, it would be better to see the APFA and APA in there as well. When will we ever learn that exclusion is not always the best way to sell the benifits of inclusion?

FWAAA, still waiting for your "Simple Math" response over on the "Things AA can afford" thread. What happened?

Reactions: 1 person
While the formation of the coalition comes during negotiations its portayal by the media as just a negotiation ploy tied to the current negotiations is false, if that was the case why would other unions from around the world want to join in?

I believe this is a good example of 'thinking outside the box'. But the contract spin was injected by G. Drummond of the TWU and if that comment in any way taints what you're trying to achieve as one of our negotiators, he should keep his mouth shut!

While the formation of the coalition comes during negotiations its portayal by the media as just a negotiation ploy tied to the current negotiations is false, if that was the case why would other unions from around the world want to join in?

I believe this is a good example of 'thinking outside the box'. But the contract spin was injected by G. Drummond of the TWU and if that comment in any way taints what you're trying to achieve as one of our negotiators, he should keep his mouth shut!
Agreed - he and his buddies screwed up any value this may have had by not assembling this coalition PRIOR TO NEED. The reason for its formation would only too obvious to the "partners".

Isn't it rather easy to see why AMR looks to their union's people for management candidates? They're no brighter than burned-out light bulbs.

I didnt say that it has nothing to do with the contract, after all everything a Union does should have something to do with the Contract but I dont see this as what I feel the media portrayed it to be. Something that will dissapear after a contract is put in place. It doesnt taint what we are doing at all, I just wish we had started it years ago, we could have shared information.

Agreed - he and his buddies screwed up any value this may have had by not assembling this coalition PRIOR TO NEED. The reason for its formation would only too obvious to the "partners".

To be fair, has there really been a need to join the coalition up to now? Is there a need right now, e.g. some threat out there that one union is benefiting from the JV & ATI at the expense of the other unions, or that work is going to a non-union entity?... I haven't seen it, but maybe you have.

As for picketing. We all saw how successful it was at the Super Bowl -- a few guys got autographs from the three former NFL players who showed up.

To be fair, has there really been a need to join the coalition up to now? Is there a need right now, e.g. some threat out there that one union is benefiting from the JV & ATI at the expense of the other unions, or that work is going to a non-union entity?... I haven't seen it, but maybe you have.

As for picketing. We all saw how successful it was at the Super Bowl -- a few guys got autographs from the three former NFL players who showed up.

The only need any of this non-sense has for the TWU is a simple process to buffalo the membership into believing their union has some sense of power or ability. Fact is though, this is nothing more than a smoke screen, the TWU has no ability and no power, they are simply waiting for AA's final offer which we have not seen yet.

The sad fact is that the TWU has no power and no ability because the Constitution excliues the member as the ultimate power and indeed makes "them" the leaders the power of the union, and places appointees and relatives in the high rolling salary jobs. The Consitution takes the member out of the union and therefore the only so-called power is really only made up of a few, and we all know there is no power in a few. One TWU slogan claims "strength in numbers", but that doesnt appply to the power structure of a few. Yet they are blinded to this double standard because they are in charge and admitting they are failing is impossible. And so the few rely on threats, slogans, and farse alliances like we see here. These days management has learned these thruths and now simply toys with the union but allows just enough advancement or alternates to propagation of fear to keep the lap dog on the property.

The crimnal part of all of this, is they are so much out of touch with the member or real unionism that they cannot even see the weakness in this failing structure and yet they charge us two hours pay per month and still try to make us believe it is something much different than what it really is. What it is, is a friggin joke.

Reactions: 1 person
This just in: Full scale assault on Unionist in Wisconsin, meanwhile AFL-CIO sits back and gives lip service.

Affiliations mean Nothing!!!

Now that we can redeem our AAdvantage miles for BA awards transatlantic I'm all for solidarity among the workgroups especially if it ends up at all like the British Airways Unite Cabin Crew strike. It's incredible that the BALPA members are volunteering and showing their dedication and unity to the company by volunteering as replacements for the striking cabin crew.

Unite General Secretary Len McCluskey has written to Jim McAuslan, his counterpart at the British Airline Pilots’ Association, to appeal for support, McAuslan said today in an interview in London. Some union officials have “lost the plot” over the dispute and Balpa plans to stay neutral, he said.

“We will not be encouraging our members to support the strike action, neither will we be chastising them for doing so or encouraging anyone to do the work of other staff,” he said, adding that were pilots to be consulted there would be “an overwhelming vote against supporting the cabin crew.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-25/british-airways-cabin-crew-ask-pilots-to-stop-undermining-strike.html

I applaud their dedication and professionalism. Through contingency plans strike disruptions have been minimal and BA has kept its entire long haul schedule ex-LHR operating throughout the industrial action. March 2010 strike only short haul service from LHR and some LGW operations were affected but long haul LHR and the entire LCY operations went out as scheduled.

Any gains flight attendants, mechanics or other work groups make come AFTER the gains of the pilots. The pilots are the professionals in this business and therefore have the most leverage and are in a position to gain the most. They are the only workgroup that can truly shut the airline down.

Josh

Now that we can redeem our AAdvantage miles for BA awards transatlantic I'm all for solidarity among the workgroups especially if it ends up at all like the British Airways Unite Cabin Crew strike. It's incredible that the BALPA members are volunteering and showing their dedication and unity to the company by volunteering as replacements for the striking cabin crew.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-25/british-airways-cabin-crew-ask-pilots-to-stop-undermining-strike.html

I applaud their dedication and professionalism. Through contingency plans strike disruptions have been minimal and BA has kept its entire long haul schedule ex-LHR operating throughout the industrial action. March 2010 strike only short haul service from LHR and some LGW operations were affected but long haul LHR and the entire LCY operations went out as scheduled.

Any gains flight attendants, mechanics or other work groups make come AFTER the gains of the pilots. The pilots are the professionals in this business and therefore have the most leverage and are in a position to gain the most. They are the only workgroup that can truly shut the airline down.

Josh

I have resisted, but what the hell. Josh you and your ilk are a large part of what is wrong with this country.