TWU joins Oneworld labor coalition, hoping it forces AMR to settle

Now that we can redeem our AAdvantage miles for BA awards transatlantic I'm all for solidarity among the workgroups especially if it ends up at all like the British Airways Unite Cabin Crew strike. It's incredible that the BALPA members are volunteering and showing their dedication and unity to the company by volunteering as replacements for the striking cabin crew.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-25/british-airways-cabin-crew-ask-pilots-to-stop-undermining-strike.html

I applaud their dedication and professionalism. Through contingency plans strike disruptions have been minimal and BA has kept its entire long haul schedule ex-LHR operating throughout the industrial action. March 2010 strike only short haul service from LHR and some LGW operations were affected but long haul LHR and the entire LCY operations went out as scheduled.

Any gains flight attendants, mechanics or other work groups make come AFTER the gains of the pilots. The pilots are the professionals in this business and therefore have the most leverage and are in a position to gain the most. They are the only workgroup that can truly shut the airline down.

Josh

Wrong! Did you forget about Eastern Airlines? How about AA mechanics at ORD & DFW that shut the place down and AA was forced to get an injunction back in late 1999/2000? Mechanics are a formidable group if we band together. It's coming, Josh!!

And the IAM Mechanic and Related strike at US in 92, US had to ground all the 737-200s, MD80s, F100s and DC-9s and cancel thousands of flights.

Wrong! Did you forget about Eastern Airlines? How about AA mechanics at ORD & DFW that shut the place down and AA was forced to get an injunction back in late 1999/2000? Mechanics are a formidable group if we band together. It's coming, Josh!!

No single work group besides the pilots can shut the airline down. AA has done everything it can to keep good paying jobs in the United States while its competitors have outsourced work to overseas MROs. With that said, I'll have zero sympathy if AA pulls an NW on TWU, locks them out and brings a contractor on-board.

Look what the strike action did for the Eastern Employees. Say what you want now, but the truth is 100,000+ airline jobs have been eliminated in the past decade. As an example, the combined United+Continental headcount is smaller than stand alone UAL in 2000. AA needs to get its labor costs in check, and I hope they take solidarity with Willie Walsh in this common fight. Walsh has the support of the BOD to absorb the costs of industrial action now if it allows BA to get its costs in line for the long term. Even the union pilots won't support their "brothers and sisters" at Unite. Seriously when people serving coffee on an airplane are getting paid about what the engineers who designed the plane are something is fundamentally wrong.

Josh

Let your bank cut your salary and outsource your job, there is definitely others who will do it better for less money.

You dont have a dog in this fight and guess you would fit the Jack London Poem.

Even the union pilots won't support their "brothers and sisters" at Unite.

Josh, when people say you have no friggin' clue of what you're talking about, it's because its true.

Most of us have been around this for 20+ years, and a few possibly since before you were even a passing thought between your parents.

Pilots are by no means the only workgroup that can stop an airline dead in its tracks.

Sitting in my basement is a set of black binders containing the work I did on strike contingency planning in 1997. It was done because of the pilot negotiations, but was developed to fit equally for any workgroup. Some of the particulars have changed (e-ticketing was still new, kiosks hadn't been rolled out yet, and the web was still in its infancy), but the basic premises have not.

One of the lessons learned in 1993 was trying to run less than 40% of the airline was more trouble than it was worth. There was PR and psychological value, but that's about it. Running with management volunteers managed to keep a few key flights operating, but the only place that offered any value was for point to point passengers who weren't connecting on mainline.

If you want an idea of what a fleet service or mechanic strike could to, look no farther to how AA performs in a weather event when employees can't get to the airport. 40 or 80% of the ramp or flight attendants didn't show up to work, it would be like having 18" of snow except for the fact that every other airline would be operating in blue skies and clear runways.

If the mechanics didn't show up, you'd be able to run the airline for 12-18 hours before it begins to collapse. Essentially, it's just enough time to get all the airplanes out of the spokes and into the hubs where they can be parked.

Reactions: 2 people
I never thought I would say this, but great post Eric, and thanks.

I wonder how someone like josh who never worked for an airline and has no clue about what really goers on thinks he is an expert on labor relations in the industry and how an airline works.

I wonder how someone like josh who never worked for an airline and has no clue about what really goers on thinks he is an expert on labor relations in the industry and how an airline works.
There's a reason why I usually dont respond to what Josh posts.

Reactions: 1 person
Josh, when people say you have no friggin' clue of what you're talking about, it's because its true.

Fair enough, I may not know about the ins and outs of airline operation and labor interdependence but I fully understand the micro macro economics facing the market for airline labor.

Most of us have been around this for 20+ years, and a few possibly since before you were even a passing thought between your parents.

One of the lessons learned in 1993 was trying to run less than 40% of the airline was more trouble than it was worth. There was PR and psychological value, but that's about it. Running with management volunteers managed to keep a few key flights operating, but the only place that offered any value was for point to point passengers who weren't connecting on mainline.

That is a good question at what point is it worth the expense and trouble developing contingency plans if they fail to significant improve the operation. From a PR standpoint AA has to do something which I think is largely why news has been circulating about negotiations and AA training management volunteers. I know that AA did send emails to management soliciting volunteer workers so they must be serious.

I never said I was an expert on the matter nor did I speak authoritatively on the subject. All I said was that British Airways co-existed without the "Cabin Crew" through contingency plans including management and BALPA volunteers to serve as replacements. I'm just speaking on experiences flying and finance/economic background and work experience

And it didnt work, BA had to charter airplanes from other companies to fly flights during the last FA strike.

Well it comes as no suprise to see FWAAA come out against a move by unions of the OneWorld Alliance to form a coalition. After all cooperation among unions is not in his interests, he would rather see unions stick to "cooperating" with companies, ie, giving concessions.

The reason I laughed at this news is because I don't think it advances your members' interests. I've posted (repeatedly) that I support much higher pay for AA's line mechanics who are located in high-cost areas. I just don't believe that picketing at NRT or LHR (by JAL or BA employees) will help you achieve that goal.

It is funny watching you defend the The Worthless Union's activities.

Latest posts