Anatomy of a "heavy" D check of an A330-300

PHL

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
From what I've read/gathered, the 333's are cycling through Mobile for the new interior/Envoy upgrades as well as the 12 year heavy D-checks in some (or all?) cases. Can any of you comment on some of the intricacies and process involved in this? This is purely a question from an engineering/academic mindset. It's not meant to start a thread about in house vs out of house mx.

My high level understanding is that the plane is basically torn down to its core and rebuilt, but I'm sure there's a bit more to it than that simplistic explanation. BoeingBoy had some good comments on the flyertalk thread. I'm curious to hear A&P mechanics expand on that more with any anecdotes from your own experiences doing one (or a 762, 752, etc). Since the 333's are all about 10-11 years old, is this their first heavy D check?

For all the aircraft fleets their are basically two types of "Heavy Checks" Lighter ones that are in the 15-20 day range, usually done 1-2 years apart and "Extensive Structural ones", usually 6 years apart, that are more involved. In those everything comes out, seats, floors panels, ceiling, and the aircraft is bare on the inside. This is where the structural inspections are done. These checks can last 30-60 days depending on findings. Both types of checks generally cover the same things in regards to avionics and system type function test, etc.

Both Boeing and Airbus have established Maintenance Programs and each carrier makes customizations off of those. I am sure you can find examples of those basic checks on-line to get a good idea of the type of work done.

The A330 does not get a D-check, its gets an annual HMV vist and a five year or six year S-Check.

Back